Hooligans in the Highlands

Confidemus

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-24804198

Multiple arrests in Fraserburgh over the weekend relating to assault, drink driving, pissing in public etc.

Does the North of Scotland and the Highlands have a more loutish element to it than the more civilised and peace loving central belt and South?

Does the fact that there is less to do "oop north" and less daylight in your average day contribute to this shameful behaviour?

Friends... discuss.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-24804198

Multiple arrests in Fraserburgh over the weekend relating to assault, drink driving, pissing in public etc.

Does the North of Scotland and the Highlands have a more loutish element to it than the more civilised and peace loving central belt and South?

Does the fact that there is less to do "oop north" and less daylight in your average day contribute to this shameful behaviour?

Friends... discuss.

Nope, the Broch and it's sister town Peterhead are very much the lands that time forgot.

Still can't be as bad as deepest, darkest Ayrshire though surely? :unsure:

You'll notice that the story comes under the "NE, Orkney & Shetland" bracket of the website, and not the "Highlands & Islands".

Don't ever call Fraserburgh part of the highlands again. Horrible place. I expect an apology and the title to be changed to "Arseholes in Aberdeenshire" forthwith.

Nope, the Broch and it's sister town Peterhead are very much the lands that time forgot.

Still can't be as bad as deepest, darkest Ayrshire though surely? :unsure:

I live in Prestwick. I'm a posh c**t.

I live in Prestwick.  I'm a posh c**t.

Don't be so defensive. ;)

I wasn't saying you lived in DD Ayrshire, just that it's worst towns are possibly a good bit grimmer than the the worst the NE has to offer.

I wasn't saying you lived in DD Ayrshire, just that it's worst towns are possibly a good bit grimmer than the the worst the NE has to offer.

Suppose it's all much of a muchness really isn't it? From what I've heard Thurso is a fucking dump, but then, as you rightly say, there are plenty of holes in Ayrshire, tbf.

Suppose it's all much of a muchness really isn't it? From what I've heard Thurso is a fucking dump, but then, as you rightly say, there are plenty of holes in Ayrshire, tbf.

I quite like Thurso. Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of boxing to be had of a weekend as it's got loads of pubs and little else to do, but it's still a fairly nice town in my eyes. Wick, on the other hand, is a fucking dump.

I'm not sure anywhere could be grimmer than Fraserburgh, to be honest.

Fraserburgh has a very high level of heroin use. I think that it used to be the highest in the UK, or at least Scotland.

Their neighbours in the Bloo Toon have been giving them a good run for their money in recent years.

The towns along the coast are more into pills and powder these days. Rock'n'roll, innit.

A lot of these wee Highland towns have a bit of a dark underbelly due to the lack of things to do, people drink to much and use drugs etc. That combined with the general roughness that usually pervades throughout people raised in rural communities where the only employment is generally in heavy industry.

For example, someone I know was stabbed in the arse in a Nairn pub, but Nairn's quite a pretty wee town to look at.

Their neighbours in the Bloo Toon have been giving them a good run for their money in recent years.

The towns along the coast are more into pills and powder these days. Rock'n'roll, innit.

Wasn't Ullapool crowned "the Cocaine capital of Scotland" a while back?

Wasn't Ullapool crowned "the Cocaine capital of Scotland" a while back?

I don't know about that but it wouldn't surprise me. The rampant - and unobstructed - use of drugs in most boozers along the southern stretch of the Moray Firth is a bizarre situation.

Only within a few miles of the coast tho; I've been to places further inland and our farming kin are still into the traditional activities such as fighting while wearing boiler suits with a Kings of Leon shirt underneath.

I don't know about that but it wouldn't surprise me. The rampant - and unobstructed - use of drugs in most boozers along the southern stretch of the Moray Firth is a bizarre situation.

Only within a few miles of the coast tho; I've been to places further inland and our farming kin are still into the traditional activities such as fighting while wearing boiler suits with a Kings of Leon shirt underneath.

Gor bless 'em for keeping the traditions alive.

I live in Prestwick. I'm a posh c**t.

Infiltrator. Be gone with you back to the east. We don't want any of you Marvin and Dayna types round here.

I quite like Thurso. Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of boxing to be had of a weekend as it's got loads of pubs and little else to do, but it's still a fairly nice town in my eyes. Wick, on the other hand, is a fucking dump.

See I always had it as the other way around. I spent more time in Thurso than Wick, and Thurso was one of the grimmest, coldest holes I have ever been.

Aberdeenshire. Obviously were not talking about the Royal Deeside part here

Archived