NFL London

Sloop John B

3 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

I would actively support every team that played the London franchise. With the exceptions of the Pats and Cowboys.

Why?

16 minutes ago, steelmen said:

Imagine they get to the play offs, teams won't be happy travleing all the way to London and then back for the next one. the AFC/NFC Championship game being held at 6am in the states wouldn't go down well either.

That's why it is called home field advantage. Not much different from Miami playing Seattle or something.

It'd be a very long game they'd have to play. As said most UK fans already have a team, many won't change but some might over time, however their main target will be to grow the sport and catch the people fairly new to it. I'd suspect during the first 10 years or so a London team would have a very similar feel to it as I'd expect the Las Vegas Raiders would, an assortment of travelling fans making up a general support as opposed to typical "home" fans.

Edit: I for one, would not change.

Edited by Spain

I've never quite understood how it works when teams move in the US. For example.. Baltimore Colts move to Indianapolis and Baltimore are without a team until the Cleveland Browns move to Baltimore and become the Ravens.. so do people in Baltimore support the Indianapolis Colts for 10 years or so or just not support anyone? If it happened here and St Mirren moved to Dundee or something there is no way I'd continue to support them even if the name/strip/colours etc were the same.. just wouldn't feel like my club.

It would depend for me. If a club moved out of necessity and not too far, as was the case with Clyde, I could continue to support them.

If a club abandoned a perfectly good set-up and moved hundreds of miles away they could GTF.

I'd just cheer for the inevitable "Phoenix Club" that would end up in the lower reaches of non-league.

1 hour ago, irvine_buddie said:

I've never quite understood how it works when teams move in the US. For example.. Baltimore Colts move to Indianapolis and Baltimore are without a team until the Cleveland Browns move to Baltimore and become the Ravens.. so do people in Baltimore support the Indianapolis Colts for 10 years or so or just not support anyone? If it happened here and St Mirren moved to Dundee or something there is no way I'd continue to support them even if the name/strip/colours etc were the same.. just wouldn't feel like my club.

Like now, they mainly supported the Washington Redskins ;) 

Edited by Antiochas III

5 hours ago, irvine_buddie said:

Why?

That's why it is called home field advantage. Not much different from Miami playing Seattle or something.

there is a huge difference, Seattle playing in london would be one long journey.

Up until this season whoever had the game in London has had their bye week straight after, to allow them to recover from the trip.

10 hours ago, steelmen said:

there is a huge difference, Seattle playing in london would be one long journey.

Up until this season whoever had the game in London has had their bye week straight after, to allow them to recover from the trip.

Yes but the Colts chose not to and won the next game.

There's no issue with American teams coming to Britain, for a one-off game, as far as I'm concerned. Even without a subsequent bye week.

If you can play in Seattle on a Sunday then Jacksonville on a Thursday, there's no reason why you can't play in London one Sunday and America the Sunday after.

A far bigger problem for a franchise would be organising it so that the London team weren't totally exhausted from their eight trips to the US each season.

5 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

There's no issue with American teams coming to Britain, for a one-off game, as far as I'm concerned. Even without a subsequent bye week.

If you can play in Seattle on a Sunday then Jacksonville on a Thursday, there's no reason why you can't play in London one Sunday and America the Sunday after.

A far bigger problem for a franchise would be organising it so that the London team weren't totally exhausted from their eight trips to the US each season.

I suspect even a London team would probably train in the US and the players would live there. They'd probably only travel to London themselves for the games.

7 hours ago, Spain said:

I suspect even a London team would probably train in the US and the players would live there. They'd probably only travel to London themselves for the games.

That would a real possibility. One alternative would be to have one training base in the UK for home games and another in the US for away games. The schedule could have two home games followed by two away games to minimise travelling.  

41 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

That would a real possibility. One alternative would be to have one training base in the UK for home games and another in the US for away games. The schedule could have two home games followed by two away games to minimise travelling.  

Not a bad idea. Because lets be honest, the NFL season itself is pretty short so they'd only really need to be in London for 8 weeks of the year (excluding any promo stuff and any potential playoff games). Basing themselves largely in the US and only coming over when needed will help them from losing out on top players that wouldn't want to move all the way over here.

5 minutes ago, Spain said:

Not a bad idea. Because lets be honest, the NFL season itself is pretty short so they'd only really need to be in London for 8 weeks of the year (excluding any promo stuff and any potential playoff games). Basing themselves largely in the US and only coming over when needed will help them from losing out on top players that wouldn't want to move all the way over here.

That's logical. The players and staff would not need to live in the UK. They would only come to London for the home games. Pre-season training could take place in the US. The only question is whether such a set-up would have an adverse effect on fan support and loyalty.