Buying a Chinese phone....

wunfellaff

• 2 weeks later...

Dropped my BB Max a few months back and cracked the screen (gutted) but  now the screen is becoming  unresponsive to touch, got similar budget £120ish, whould you just buy a straight replacement or another model ?

• 1 month later...

Hi there, long time reader first time caller...

Observation the the Band 20 800mhz thing.

Local mast fixed after months of no signal with EE.

An old umi sees 4g and cannot connect. GF's Xaomi sees 4g and cannot connect.

My Vernee X sees 4g and does......

I know it'll be testing phase but it interesting....

* payg sim so allegedly I shouldn't get on band 20 at all , ever.

** tethering allowed but I cannot tether....

This bump has reminded me that my phone has recently started showing a VOLTE icon in the notifications. Im guessing something has changed locally :unsure2:
Must be mate. I've been getting the VOLTE icon since I got the phone. I do a lot of traveling in my job and the VOLTE icon comes and goes depending on location.

• 4 weeks later...

My Maya Max has a crack on the screen and the camera lens is very scratched but the phone is still very usable.  I was planning to buy a standalone camera like the one below for basic photography.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-PowerShot-SX620-Digital-Camera/dp/B01FTV3YR0

Can anyone let me know how the spec/quality of the camera compares to any other Chinese phone please?  Would make sense to just combine both at once if possible.

Shock horror I've smashed my Redmi Note 4. I think I need to give up beer, it costs me too much in phones. The Note 5 has been released but other than the screen being slightly larger I can't see that much of an improvement and I loved my Note 4, think I'll just get another.

• 1 month later...

I got a Maya Max after reading this thread before and I'm growing tired of it after getting a big crack on it when I was pished. I did get a replacement screen to have a go at but phones these days are a massive pain in the arse with needing a heat lamp to get the thing off so I'm quite sure I'll f**k it up. It's definitely been a durable enough phone and taken some amount of abuse.

Thinking of getting another phone around £100ish again (I'm a massive tight arse with phones and happy with anything that works) but on the fence about doing this again over just getting a gumtree second-hand set. The question I'd have for you guys - how do you handle the malware that these things come with? I've tried resetting the device but it always seems to be encoded and I get these nonsense pop-ups.

I got a Maya Max after reading this thread before and I'm growing tired of it after getting a big crack on it when I was pished. I did get a replacement screen to have a go at but phones these days are a massive pain in the arse with needing a heat lamp to get the thing off so I'm quite sure I'll f**k it up. It's definitely been a durable enough phone and taken some amount of abuse.
Thinking of getting another phone around £100ish again (I'm a massive tight arse with phones and happy with anything that works) but on the fence about doing this again over just getting a gumtree second-hand set. The question I'd have for you guys - how do you handle the malware that these things come with? I've tried resetting the device but it always seems to be encoded and I get these nonsense pop-ups.
Don't know if it will work but if it's pop up ads you're getting, try downloading Blokada Ad blocker. Free from Google playstore. I run it on all my Android devices. Once downloaded, open up and make sure to activate the following - Keep Alive, Start on boot and then press large on/ off button at the bottom of screen. When they are orange they're activated.

7 hours ago, harry94 said:

I had a Maya Max and didnt have any pops or malware. Same with the Elephone S8 Ive got now

1 hour ago, SmudgePop said:

Back to the topic... buying a Chinese phone,  at present one of the best smartphone to get is a Huawei P20 Pro. 

Whilst the specs look very good on this, I tend to dip into the market to get a phone for £150 for the same price you'd pay £500 for over here. I'm noticing a trend that the "bigger" Chinese names are starting to charge similar prices to the more mainstream developers in the Western market.

Been checking these out for a while now and definitely going to buy a chinese phone. Been looking at Oukitel K600 Plus (https://uk.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_676665.html?wid=1817324#goodsDetail) and the questionably leather Oukitel K7 (https://uk.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_009606368802.html?wid=1817324).K7 is £20 dearer and poorly designed but looks infinitely better specs wise.

Anyone had an Oukitel or any other recommendations? Don't really want to spend over £200.

Edited by GingerSaint