Buying a Chinese phone....

wunfellaff

• 3 weeks later...

Bought an Umi Super at the weekend, first impressions are that it's some piece of kit for the price. Build quality seems top notch, as good as the HTC One M7 I used to have, and almost stock android, no bloatware to speak of. Battery life seems a bit disappointing considering the size of the battery but it's early days and still a bit of a novelty so getting used quite heavily. The charger that came with it is disappointing , think I'd have preferred the EU charger to use with an adapter rather than the low powered UK charger they provide. And whilst the USB Type C is a good idea, I need another two or three cables to replace those in chargers at home, the car and work.

My laptop didn't acknowledge the phone when I plugged it in (although it did charge the phone, albeit very slowly) and after I copied music onto my new sd card the phone didn't like the format so reformatted the card and erased the content. When I put the card back into the laptop it gave me the same message so I ended up sending music to the phone via Airdroid.

On 27/09/2016 at 12:21, salmonbuddie said:

Bought an Umi Super at the weekend, first impressions are that it's some piece of kit for the price. Build quality seems top notch, as good as the HTC One M7 I used to have, and almost stock android, no bloatware to speak of. Battery life seems a bit disappointing considering the size of the battery but it's early days and still a bit of a novelty so getting used quite heavily. The charger that came with it is disappointing , think I'd have preferred the EU charger to use with an adapter rather than the low powered UK charger they provide. And whilst the USB Type C is a good idea, I need another two or three cables to replace those in chargers at home, the car and work.

My laptop didn't acknowledge the phone when I plugged it in (although it did charge the phone, albeit very slowly) and after I copied music onto my new sd card the phone didn't like the format so reformatted the card and erased the content. When I put the card back into the laptop it gave me the same message so I ended up sending music to the phone via Airdroid.

Good man, hope you're enjoying it.

The battery life is fine for me for the size of screen, although there is an XDA ROM you could put on to increase it (part of the ROM reduces the CPU usage during idle, by quite a lot).

Not sure re the charger, mines is that old travel adapter thing (2piece) with the cable. Charges in around 70 mins from flat.

Latest update 23/9 might help so update it. (Big file, 250 meg, but meant to cure some camera,screen responsiveness and gps issues , all of which I hadn't noticed).

BTW, the UMI Max is basically the same phone bar it doesn't have the fast charger (yet has the fast charge technology, so you'd  need to buy a correct charger). Don't know what the price difference is but a charger is @ a tenner on eBay.

Thoroughly delighted with mine.

Their forums might help you 

http://community.umidigi.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=38&filter=typeid&typeid=167

Edited by Njord
Adding the Umi Super forum...

On 28/08/2016 at 18:09, Njord said:

Well.....onto Chinese junk #3 :)

Ordered last weekend, processed Monday and dispatched from Shenzen, it arrived in Inverness Thursday and delivered North on Friday.

This time I went for the Umi Super as I wanted the ability to get 800 MHz 4G as I believe that is what's about to get turned on bigstylee up here by EE and maybe 3.

Build quality is great and the spec is blinding for the cash, so once I know what network will work best for my locations, I'll whip out the 2nd sim and pop in a 256 card giving 288 giggidy gigs of memory :)

http://www.umidigi.com/page-umi_super_overview.html

Still to properly muck around with stuff as getting used to android 6.0 but it has the feel of a really good bit of kit.

I did make the rookie error and bought from a site (gear best) that I hadn't used before so got hit with £38 Customs, but even then it was still below my budget of £200.

Phone £140+£12 shipping +£3insurance + £38 customs = £193 I think.

Oh, and there is one by Ulhans or something on the go for $50 which will do the 4G bands over here. Might even get one just to see. Do as a prezzie after I've had a swatch.

How did you get on with the 4g on the Super? They're available on Amazon for £170 now so rather tempting

21 minutes ago, Mr X said:

How did you get on with the 4g on the Super? They're available on Amazon for £170 now so rather tempting

'Fine' I think, only made it down to Inverness once , and didn't have the time to muck around too much.

It locked onto 4g okay, but I don't know which type as I hadn't got the app to say which frequency it is on.

800mhz still to launch here so I still don't know that answer (though that will be down to the network allowing connection, the phone is capable of it).

Also wanted to swap sims around to see if one locks quicker than the other (compared to my 3g jiayus, it takes a bit longer to cycle through the frequencies).

The last update as mentioned in a previous post was 250meg :D , but it is a whole new camera app.

Nougat will be available on Xmas eve BTW...

Go for it :)

15 minutes ago, Njord said:

'Fine' I think, only made it down to Inverness once , and didn't have the time to muck around too much.

It locked onto 4g okay, but I don't know which type as I hadn't got the app to say which frequency it is on.

800mhz still to launch here so I still don't know that answer (though that will be down to the network allowing connection, the phone is capable of it).

Also wanted to swap sims around to see if one locks quicker than the other (compared to my 3g jiayus, it takes a bit longer to cycle through the frequencies).

The last update as mentioned in a previous post was 250meg :D , but it is a whole new camera app.

Nougat will be available on Xmas eve BTW...

Go for it :)

Hmm. Im not totally convinced that it would be an upgrade on the Note 4 I already have

2 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Hmm. Im not totally convinced that it would be an upgrade on the Note 4 I already have

Lack of stylus ??

I know it will be a coloured view, but have a swatch at the video in the gizchina link.

Just now, Njord said:

Lack of stylus ??

I know it will be a coloured view, but have a swatch at the video in the gizchina link.

Partly, although I can always buy a stylus.

The Umi Plus is ahead in some specs (more so than the Super), like CPU and GPU, but behind in others, like the display.

Cleaning the hoose and came across the instructions for doing the volume change via the engineers mode so I'll stick it here in case anyone else does buy the Super, or indeed any other mediatek phone .

Open the dialer as if making a call, and dial

*#*#3646633#*#*

Scroll right - hardware testing- audio-normal mode - media.

For audio, audio&headset & headset, ramp the volume to '160' (do it for each of the 3), no need to save or anything, it'll remain thus unless you factory reset/flash a ROM.

Anyone (Njord) know the difference between the Umi Plus and Super? The specs are basically identical, the only difference I can see is one has the fingerprint sensor on the back and the other uses the normal "home" button :unsure2:

Or the Max, it seems the same too!!

Edited by Mr X

24 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I hate this. While looking at the Umis I came across this

http://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_449904.html

The VKworld T1 for just over £100. The specs are little below my Note 4 but its a 6 inch screen :-o Thats bigger than my ... ... other phone.

So confused now

Or this

Bluboo Maya Max

It looks even better ... aaaaargh

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Anyone (Njord) know the difference between the Umi Plus and Super? The specs are basically identical, the only difference I can see is one has the fingerprint sensor on the back and the other uses the normal "home" button :unsure2:

Or the Max, it seems the same too!!

Re the Max & Super , from a few posts above 

" the UMI Max is basically the same phone bar it doesn't have the fast charger (yet has the fast charge technology, so you'd  need to buy a correct charger). Don't know what the price difference is but a charger is @ a tenner on eBay."

On the Super you can choose either home button or virtual, unsure as to others...

28 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I hate this. While looking at the Umis I came across this

http://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_449904.html

The VKworld T1 for just over £100. The specs are little below my Note 4 but its a 6 inch screen :-o Thats bigger than my ... ... other phone.

So confused now

Mind though, gear best =customs charge.