Buying a Chinese phone....

wunfellaff

• 1 month later...

Will be due a new phone in a couple of months and looking for recommendations. Last 2 phones have been Huawei (P10 Lite and P30) but the lack of Google support puts me of getting another.

I'm liking the look of the Oppo Reno4. I'd also previously considered a OnePlus a couple of years back but I think they've become a bit more mainstream and unfortunately so have their prices. Not really fussed about getting a "top end" phone but something with 5g would be preferable.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Will be due a new phone in a couple of months and looking for recommendations. Last 2 phones have been Huawei (P10 Lite and P30) but the lack of Google support puts me of getting another.

I'm liking the look of the Oppo Reno4. I'd also previously considered a OnePlus a couple of years back but I think they've become a bit more mainstream and unfortunately so have their prices. Not really fussed about getting a "top end" phone but something with 5g would be preferable.

Posted this earlier on the thread;
Can't go wrong with Xiaomi phones. You should also check out their sub brand Redmi. IMO they are excellent value for the money. The spec you get will smash anything in the same price bracket over here. I have the Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro and could not be happier with it. Their Redmi 8/ Note 8/Note 8 Pro is their latest models in that range but they have lots of others as well. Oppo is another brand worth checking out.
I would recommend the Xiaomi Redmi Note series. I have the Note 7 Pro. Older model now but still going strong.[emoji1320]

Like others, I'd recommend Xiaomi. I got an Xiaomi Redmi Note 6 Pro just over two years ago. In absolutely no rush to replace as it's still fast and works great. Comfortably the best phone I've ever owned.

• 6 months later...

Decided to upgrade from my Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro and received my new phone last week. I was in two minds between Xiaomi's Redmi Note 10 Pro & their Poco F3. In the end decided on the Poco F3 for the extra power of the Snapdragon 870. Both have E4 Amoled displays. The Note 10 Pro has a 108mp main camera compared to the F3's 48mp. I don't prioritize cameras on smartphones but the F3 still take pretty good pics and after watching comparison videos there really wasn't much in the difference in quality with a couple even favouring the F3. The Stereo speakers are good too, Dolby Atmos certified but I think it's more of a gimmick more than anything as you really need height speakers to create an Atmos effect. 

I haven't got round to trying gaming yet which is what the F3 is made for but watching a movie on the Amoled screen looks amazing and gets so much brighter than any of the LCD panels on my previous phones. It also has a sunlight mode that increases the brightness automatically when in direct sunlight. 

So far can't fault the phone. It's getting me some flagship specs at a midrange price.

Decided to upgrade from my Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro and received my new phone last week. I was in two minds between Xiaomi's Redmi Note 10 Pro & their Poco F3. In the end decided on the Poco F3 for the extra power of the Snapdragon 870. Both have E4 Amoled displays. The Note 10 Pro has a 108mp main camera compared to the F3's 48mp. I don't prioritize cameras on smartphones but the F3 still take pretty good pics and after watching comparison videos there really wasn't much in the difference in quality with a couple even favouring the F3. The Stereo speakers are good too, Dolby Atmos certified but I think it's more of a gimmick more than anything as you really need height speakers to create an Atmos effect. 
I haven't got round to trying gaming yet which is what the F3 is made for but watching a movie on the Amoled screen looks amazing and gets so much brighter than any of the LCD panels on my previous phones. It also has a sunlight mode that increases the brightness automatically when in direct sunlight. 
So far can't fault the phone. It's getting me some flagship specs at a midrange price.
Did you get it on a deal?

I'm considering upgrading my Note 8T to a 5G compatible option later this year. Three claim to have expanded coverage to the Riviera and as my broadband speed is mince it might be better to use a 5G Xiaomi as a hotspot. 

The 8T is still running as good as new so I'm not sure what I'll do with it. 

1 hour ago, energyzone said:
9 hours ago, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

Did you get it on a deal?

I originally ordered from Ali Express, only to wait about a week for the seller to tell me they couldn't ship to my address. That's Brexit for you.  Couldn't be arsed with the hassle after that and just ordered from Amazon and got it delivered the next day through Prime. Paid £350 ( almost £100 more that the Ali Express deal ) 🥺, but still no regrets.

33 minutes ago, virginton said:

I'm considering upgrading my Note 8T to a 5G compatible option later this year. Three claim to have expanded coverage to the Riviera and as my broadband speed is mince it might be better to use a 5G Xiaomi as a hotspot. 

The 8T is still running as good as new so I'm not sure what I'll do with it. 

I'm with 3 and I think I've only noticed 5G once since I got it and that was down in Birmingham last week.

• 1 month later...

It's that time again. Looking for a Christmas present for a soon to be 14 year old, he's fed up with apple so wants android. Last time I needed a phone was just after the start of covid and needed one stat so couldn't afford to wait weeks to get one out of China. 

Looking to spend around £150-200, only other thing I can add is he likes making animations for his YouTube /tiktok on his phone so any recommendations in that price bracket greatly appreciated. 

• 1 month later...

My Xiaomi Redmi 7 is needing replaced charger socket is going and the mic isn't working for a music sampler app I have. 

Seen a few black Friday deals but not sure if they're actually good value. Any recommendations particularly for recording and playing music? Looking at £150-£200.

Is Xiaomi note 10 pro for £229 decent? 
It's round about the same price as everywhere else at the moment. You can save £10 and get it sim free from Carphone Warehouse for £219.99 and if you have a Quidco amount you can get an additional 9% cashback, which works out about £18/19, so ultimately you could save £30 or so.

The Redmi 11 series was announced recently so if your current phone can tide you by for a while longer the Redmi 10 series should drop in price, but I don't know how long this could take.