Buying a Chinese phone....

wunfellaff

Both MayaMax's i've seen have had Store and BingoLauncher enabled by default. 1 had SC weather buried in system startup which had to be disabled otherwise redirects to ILove pages. Also random adds would take over other apps. Both phones around 2 months old but slightly different build number

Still waiting on my Bluboo S1 to arrive. I think it's going to be a long wait though. Although ordered through Aliexpess on 7th August, it's coming directly from Bluboo. They are STILL processing the order. I guess it will take longer because the phone is still in the pre- sale window.

Cheers for all the help, it looks like i've got a decision to make. I've been back on Gear Best having another look and another two that stick out are the Xiaomi Mi Note 2 and the OnePlus 3T (especially at that discounted price). Is it much of a faff turning off all of those apps you mention and how easy is it to install the UK play store? The advice elsewhere is so conflicting but I need to get a shifty on if it's going to take a few weeks to arrive, i'm using a Nokia C5 in the mean time.

16 minutes ago, bopolopoluss1 said:

Cheers for all the help, it looks like i've got a decision to make. I've been back on Gear Best having another look and another two that stick out are the Xiaomi Mi Note 2 and the OnePlus 3T (especially at that discounted price). Is it much of a faff turning off all of those apps you mention and how easy is it to install the UK play store? The advice elsewhere is so conflicting but I need to get a shifty on if it's going to take a few weeks to arrive, i'm using a Nokia C5 in the mean time.

If you've used different launchers before like Nova then it'll be no problem. The stock Bingo launcher is the worst I've seen I think. If you're going to get a phone like this then you'll probably have an idea of how to make the most of it but I'm definitely no expert fwiw. 

17 minutes ago, bopolopoluss1 said:

Removing apps isnt difficult.

Neither is installing the UK google stuff. I downloaded the installer from here http://opengapps.org/ which installs all the google apps from the Nexus phone

Brilliant, thank you all. I'm used to adding my own launcher and customising it to how I like it to the different UI will be fine. Likewise, having followed those links and reading up online I can't see adding/removing the apps being a hassle. I think i'm going to go ahead and buy one tonight, so these are the last questions i've got before I go for it. I've narrowed it down to these three - OnePlus 5Xiaomi Mi Note 2 and OnePlus 3T. Can anyone tell me if all three of those would work in the UK (Orkney) on GiffGaff? The OnePlus 5 is my first choice but I can't work out why they seem to be so reasonably priced in comparison to the official website. 

EDIT: or this OnePlus 5 from aliexpress with "global" firmware? What's the difference?

Edited by bopolopoluss1

Ended up going for the OnePlus 5 in the end. Spoke to OnePlus live support who advised me that they only make a global version and the only difference in handsets bought in the UK/China is the pre-installed ROM. They have said that if I contact them before I start using the phone after it's arrived they will connect to my laptop via remote assistance and flash the phone with the UK software for me. Thanks for all the help and advice, i'll let people know how I get on with it if it's of any interest.

Ended up going for the OnePlus 5 in the end. Spoke to OnePlus live support who advised me that they only make a global version and the only difference in handsets bought in the UK/China is the pre-installed ROM. They have said that if I contact them before I start using the phone after it's arrived they will connect to my laptop via remote assistance and flash the phone with the UK software for me. Thanks for all the help and advice, i'll let people know how I get on with it if it's of any interest.

That's one drawback with owning a Bluboo phone. The support for their devices over here from Bluboo is pretty much non existent

I've just checked and have bingo and their android store in my apps but can't see how to disable. If I long press bingo it takes me to the option to place it on one of my homepages. I single tapped it and it replaced Nova. 

Pull down top of screen, touch top and click the cog.
Goto apps, find bingo, click and force force stop.
Store is exactly the same.
Download startup manager from proper play store then disable them from starting. SC Weather will be in system startup.

Cracked the screen on my UMI Super on Friday night, and its a complete write off, cant do anything as I took the fingerprint recognition off and have draw pattern to unlock only. Can only use a tiny portion of the top of the screen, anywhere there is a crack is a no go. I was distraught as it was an amazing phone (best I've had so far)...

as I needed a replacement quick, and didn't see anything much in the EU warehouses on Gearbest, I've gone for a Xiaomi Redmi 4 off of ebay, which ordered Saturday lunch time, and has turned up today - will report back tomorrow on first impressions

On ‎21‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 14:31, honestly united said:

Cracked the screen on my UMI Super on Friday night, and its a complete write off, cant do anything as I took the fingerprint recognition off and have draw pattern to unlock only. Can only use a tiny portion of the top of the screen, anywhere there is a crack is a no go. I was distraught as it was an amazing phone (best I've had so far)...

as I needed a replacement quick, and didn't see anything much in the EU warehouses on Gearbest, I've gone for a Xiaomi Redmi 4 off of ebay, which ordered Saturday lunch time, and has turned up today - will report back tomorrow on first impressions

Let me know.  I'm waiting on a Redmi 4X arriving from Gearbest.

Ordered on 10th August and still hadn't heard anything 10 days later so sent them an e-mail indicating I would be cancelling the order if there was going to be a significant hold-up.  Lo and behold I received an e-mail back about an hour later telling me it was being shipped immediately.

Looks like it's the end for my Maya Max. Only got about 30% of battery left and it won't charge anymore. The charging port is really slack now when the cable is in, but I was still able to to charge it by sitting something heavy on the cable plug so that it was going in at an angle. But over the last couple of days it has got worse and now I can't get a charge at all. I bought a new cable but still had no luck. It's probably been caused bu me tripping over the cable a couple of time and damaging the port.

I'm still waiting for my S1 but have finally got notification that the order has been processed and has now left the Bluboo warehouse, but so far, to my knowledge has not been shipped yet.

Does anyone know if there's an easier way to transfer my apps to the new phone, rather than having to do it all over again manually? I can't backup everything onto my laptop with the port damaged, but if I transferred all my apps onto my memory card along with my contacts before the battery dies, would they install onto the new phone when I insert the memory card in it's sim tray?

Looks like it's the end for my Maya Max. Only got about 30% of battery left and it won't charge anymore. The charging port is really slack now when the cable is in, but I was still able to to charge it by sitting something heavy on the cable plug so that it was going in at an angle. But over the last couple of days it has got worse and now I can't get a charge at all. I bought a new cable but still had no luck. It's probably been caused bu me tripping over the cable a couple of time and damaging the port.
I'm still waiting for my S1 but have finally got notification that the order has been processed and has now left the Bluboo warehouse, but so far, to my knowledge has not been shipped yet.
Does anyone know if there's an easier way to transfer my apps to the new phone, rather than having to do it all over again manually? I can't backup everything onto my laptop with the port damaged, but if I transferred all my apps onto my memory card along with my contacts before the battery dies, would they install onto the new phone when I insert the memory card in it's sim tray?

Not all apps will install to the memory card.

You can back everything up to your Google account. You would have been given the option when you first set the phone up. If you said no, you don't still change it

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2819582?hl=en-GB

Sad to hear your max is bust :( how long have you had it? I have to say I've had a few problems with charging but I think they might be software based as restarting the phone usually fixes it. The charging cable is getting a little slacker though.

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Not all apps will install to the memory card.

You can back everything up to your Google account. You would have been given the option when you first set the phone up. If you said no, you don't still change it

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2819582?hl=en-GB

Sad to hear your max is bust :( how long have you had it? I have to say I've had a few problems with charging but I think they might be software based as restarting the phone usually fixes it. The charging cable is getting a little slacker though.

Yeah, had the same charging issue last few months with a reboot ususally fixing it. I reckon it's a software update that's causing the problem as I'd never experienced any issues charging it before. I've somehow, through great difficulty got it charging again just now, so will leave it on charge for the rest of the day. I've had the phone roughly 10 months now. The speaker is still not working too, but weirdly, if I blow into the bottom right speaker grille the speaker works, but cuts out again once I stop blowing.:lol: 

I can't remember being asked about the Google back-up option when I set it up tbh, but that link is helpful, thanks!