Buying a Chinese phone....

wunfellaff

Just went ahead with my order. My Maya Max is sadly malfunctioning. I can't get any sound from the built-in loudspeaker at all. Sound is fine through earphones and no problems when linked via a Bluetooth speaker. I think this has probably been down to me dropping the phone in my fishtank a few months back, as it has occasionally played up since then. [emoji45] Also having problems with the charging socket as well now. When the charging cable is plugged in, I need to sit something heavy on the cable plug for it to charge. There appears to be a bit of play in the charging socket, probably due to my own carelessness I suspect. All of this happened in the space of a day. Really gutted, as I loved the phone. Anyway, I've just placed an order for the Bluboo S1, so keeping my fingers crossed everything runs smoothly with this one.[emoji4]

My LG G4 died a while back and after checking back on this thread from time to time I think i'm going to bite the bullet and get a Chinese handset. I've probably got between £3-400 to spend and wondered if anyone has any recommendations?  I've been browsing through Gear Best but it seems as though there are so many to choose from. From the searches i've made so far I like the look of the OnePlus 5, but I wondered if there was a reason why it's cheaper to buy it from Gear Best rather than directly from OnePlus? The other two I think look good are the Xiaomi Mi Note 2 and the Xiaomi Mi Mix Ultimate

Is there anything that I need to aware of before I go ahead and buy something? I see people some posts online saying that Xiaomi phones come with Chinese software pre-installed and that i'd need to install Play Store etc myself, is that right? The other thing i'm not sure about is the network type? I'm up in Orkney and the only reliable signal is with O2 so I need to stick with something that will work with my current GiffGaff sim card. Thanks in advance to anyone that can guide me in the right direction, this will be the first time I buy a phone from abroad so i'm keen to get it right.

8 minutes ago, pittsburgh phil said:

Chinese handsets will be unlocked so there should be no issue with your sim. I have a Bluboo and am on Giffgaff. Just slot the sim in and off you go.
I'd imagine you'd get a lot of bang for your buck with that kinda budget too.

Cheers. Is there not something to do with particular frequencies? I've seen it mentioned a few times but don't fully understand it. 

10 hours ago, bopolopoluss1 said:

Cheers. Is there not something to do with particular frequencies? I've seen it mentioned a few times but don't fully understand it. 

Yes, there is. Theres a website which tells you which bands the different UK providers use (should be easy enough to find on google). You just need to make sure the phone supports the bands used by O2. The description on Gearbest, or wherever you buy it from, should list them.

The Oneplus phones always get great reviews and are usually in pretty high demand. If I had that kind of budget Id definitely be considering one. I've never really looked into phones at that kind of money so cant really help otherwise though!

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Yes, there is. Theres a website which tells you which bands the different UK providers use (should be easy enough to find on google). You just need to make sure the phone supports the bands used by O2. The description on Gearbest, or wherever you buy it from, should list them.

The Oneplus phones always get great reviews and are usually in pretty high demand. If I had that kind of budget Id definitely be considering one. I've never really looked into phones at that kind of money so cant really help otherwise though!

Thanks. It looks as though the Mi Mix isn't compatible with the 4G band used by O2 in the UK which is a real shame as it was the favourite. It seems as though the handsets that are available as "Global Editions" support it here but the others don't. It seems as though most of the Xiaomi phones are ruled out and i'll likely end up going for the OnePlus 5.

7 minutes ago, bopolopoluss1 said:

Thanks. It looks as though the Mi Mix isn't compatible with the 4G band used by O2 in the UK which is a real shame as it was the favourite. It seems as though the handsets that are available as "Global Editions" support it here but the others don't. It seems as though most of the Xiaomi phones are ruled out and i'll likely end up going for the OnePlus 5.

It does look like that. Shame, thats a cracking looking phone.

If you're looking for something around that kind of size have you looked at the Bluboo Maya Max. Its well below your budget but has pretty similar specs to some of the others (although the screen resolution is quite low) but it is a 6 inch screen

2 minutes ago, Mr X said:

It does look like that. Shame, thats a cracking looking phone.

If you're looking for something around that kind of size have you looked at the Bluboo Maya Max. Its well below your budget but has pretty similar specs to some of the others (although the screen resolution is quite low) but it is a 6 inch screen

Yeah, a screen around 6 inches in size is what i'm after really. I had seen the Maya Max online but at around £100 ish, I thought it must be too good to be true. 

3 minutes ago, bopolopoluss1 said:

Yeah, a screen around 6 inches in size is what i'm after really. I had seen the Maya Max online but at around £100 ish, I thought it must be too good to be true. 

Its not! Theres a few posters on here that have them, including me. Its a great phone, particularly for that price.

As I said, most of the specs stand up against far more expensive phones other than the screen resolution. Thats not too say the screen resolution looks poor on the phone, it doesnt, its just lower than some of the others - the Mi Mix for example had a 2K resolution.

Thanks, that gives me something else to think about. How long does delivery from Gear Best normally take? You don't realise how much you rely on your phone until you don't have it any longer, i'm keen to get a replacement ASAP. 

1 hour ago, bopolopoluss1 said:

Thanks, that gives me something else to think about. How long does delivery from Gear Best normally take? You don't realise how much you rely on your phone until you don't have it any longer, i'm keen to get a replacement ASAP. 

Im not the best person to ask about delivery times <_< :lol:

1 hour ago, bopolopoluss1 said:

My MayaMax took 10 days to arrive. Decent phone and brilliant battery life.

Just make sure and disable their Store, SC Weather and Bingo Launcher apps if you get it.