Buying a Chinese phone....

wunfellaff

On a lighter note - my custom Lineage OS connects to LTE on the 800Mhz band and I havent had any issues with voice calling
And, I just realised that the thing stuck in the headphone socket that I thought was just part of the waterproofing also pops out the sim tray [emoji185]

Interesting. I did wonder what that was for.

Looked through the last 8-9 pages of this thread, as I’m finally free of my contract this time next month and bumping to SIM only on my Samsung S6. I’d probably keep that if the battery wasn’t absolutely humpty so decent battery life / fast charging is a big consideration for me.

Couple of questions- am I best just going onto gearbest and having a root around or are there comparison sites for these phones out there?

The Maya max doesn’t seem like it’s for me, I could have given Jeremy Beadle a square go at thumb wars so is there a smaller phone that people have on there they would recommend?

What happens if you get a customs charge? I’d probably get it delivered to my maw’s as she’s retired and in during the day more often than I am, do you actually get the phone and have to pay a charge to HMRC by a specified date under separate cover, or does that phone get stashed at a nearby location which you then have to go and collect and pay at that point? Or is there an angry wee Chinese guy demanding £20 cash at the front door?

On 18/04/2017 at 15:33, pittsburgh phil said:

I have one!

On 18/04/2017 at 15:51, Twinkle said:

And me!

On 18/04/2017 at 19:26, RussellV1 said:

Mine says its on version 5.5, so it should be okay then?

On 18/04/2017 at 19:37, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

5.7 wireless update version. Software V3.06. I think I should be OK.

On 18/04/2017 at 22:31, punk_dfc said:

On a similar note, I had a system app on my Maya Max called "SC Weather" which the antivirus didn't like. Probably worth folk disabling it to be on the safe side.

Did you all check for the Adups, prize factory and theme store apps too, that were in the XDA post?

I've just reinstalled stock v3.06 and the wireless update app version is ok but these were all installed in the system folder. I couldnt delete them with a file explorer, even though I rooted the device, but I found this bloatware app that blocks them

https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/disable-any-bloatware-app-your-android-device-no-root-required-0161819/

ETA - I posted that while the phone was rebooting. After reboot they're still theyre in teh system folder but the bloatware app claims they are blocked. Cant say Im totally happy with that, might need to try and find another way to remove them

Edited by Mr X

On 4/21/2017 at 12:55, Fuctifano said:

Looked through the last 8-9 pages of this thread, as I’m finally free of my contract this time next month and bumping to SIM only on my Samsung S6. I’d probably keep that if the battery wasn’t absolutely humpty so decent battery life / fast charging is a big consideration for me.

Couple of questions- am I best just going onto gearbest and having a root around or are there comparison sites for these phones out there?

The Maya max doesn’t seem like it’s for me, I could have given Jeremy Beadle a square go at thumb wars so is there a smaller phone that people have on there they would recommend?

What happens if you get a customs charge? I’d probably get it delivered to my maw’s as she’s retired and in during the day more often than I am, do you actually get the phone and have to pay a charge to HMRC by a specified date under separate cover, or does that phone get stashed at a nearby location which you then have to go and collect and pay at that point? Or is there an angry wee Chinese guy demanding £20 cash at the front door?

*picks up tumbleweed*

I've had time to do some research this afternoon and other than answering the customs query, I've probably just confused myself a bit more.

I've been trying to pitch what sort of level of phone I'd want. I really like the look of the Xiaomi Mi 5s, but it's around £230-250 depending on where you look which even allowing for eventually punting my old handset (also, where's a good place to do that if you don't use eBay?) seems a bit much for a first toe in the water considering pretty much everyone else on the thread has been buying for under £200 and closer to £100 in most cases. Also I read one review that said the screen scratches easily and the MIUI 8 system is a bit of a pain which spooked me a bit.

I guess what I'm looking for is: will get EE 4G, good battery life / fast charging, runs quickly and isn't huge (maybe 5.5 inch max). Not fussed on camera quality or call quality. Would ideally like more than 32GB storage but that shouldn't be an issue with most of these having the ability to put an SD card in the 2nd sim slot.

Any recommendations?

38 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

*picks up tumbleweed*

I've had time to do some research this afternoon and other than answering the customs query, I've probably just confused myself a bit more.

I've been trying to pitch what sort of level of phone I'd want. I really like the look of the Xiaomi Mi 5s, but it's around £230-250 depending on where you look which even allowing for eventually punting my old handset (also, where's a good place to do that if you don't use eBay?) seems a bit much for a first toe in the water considering pretty much everyone else on the thread has been buying for under £200 and closer to £100 in most cases. Also I read one review that said the screen scratches easily and the MIUI 8 system is a bit of a pain which spooked me a bit.

I guess what I'm looking for is: will get EE 4G, good battery life / fast charging, runs quickly and isn't huge (maybe 5.5 inch max). Not fussed on camera quality or call quality. Would ideally like more than 32GB storage but that shouldn't be an issue with most of these having the ability to put an SD card in the 2nd sim slot.

Any recommendations?

I couldn't really give you much advice other than to check out reviews. Only experience I've has with Chinese phones is the Maya Max. I think Njord has had a few but he could be banned at the moment. The Xiaomi Mi5 (white) is going for £190.86 just now at Gearbest. The reviews look positive. http://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_452989.html?wid=4

Edited by YER SISTERS YER MAW

Yeah, I'll keep looking. Problem I always have with reviews is I can see 9 good ones but if the 10th one is a bit off then I start having doubts.

There's a difference between the Mi5 and Mi5s as well, but thanks for looking. Also quite like the idea of a Doogee phone, just because of the name :lol:

31 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Yeah, I'll keep looking. Problem I always have with reviews is I can see 9 good ones but if the 10th one is a bit off then I start having doubts.

There's a difference between the Mi5 and Mi5s as well, but thanks for looking. Also quite like the idea of a Doogee phone, just because of the name :lol:

I think you hit the nail on the head earlier, most of the top phones are in the £200+ price range. Things like the Oneplus (whatever version theyre on) is a great phone but pretty expensive too. I havent read anything negative about the Mi5s, or any Xiaomi phones in fact.

Anyone seen any cases for the Maya Max? I bought the Umi Diamond in January but promptly smashed it off the ground on a night out so never gave myself a chance to enjoy it. Gonna see how I get on with the Bluboo's bigger screen after my next pay but not gonna waste my time if there's no reasonable cases, I'm horrific for accidentally dropping phones.

1 hour ago, Big Fifer said:

Anyone seen any cases for the Maya Max? I bought the Umi Diamond in January but promptly smashed it off the ground on a night out so never gave myself a chance to enjoy it. Gonna see how I get on with the Bluboo's bigger screen after my next pay but not gonna waste my time if there's no reasonable cases, I'm horrific for accidentally dropping phones.

There arent many. I couldnt find a wallet type one that I wanted but I did see a few.

It comes with a flexible plastic cover that protects the back and sides (which I wish I'd had on when I dropped it and cracked the corner!)

s-l300.jpg

That, plus some liquid glass on the display should be enough

The rubber protector that comes with it is effective protection but not the prettiest. Mine fell out my crappy jacket pocket a couple of times not long after I got it, once onto pavement and the phone was still working perfect and damage free. The screen protector that comes standard also saved the screen but I've now switched to liquid glass. I've got a wallet type protector that I had ordered before the phone arrived but have never used. I think it's fake leather. You can have it FOC if you want Mr X?

2 minutes ago, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

The rubber protector that comes with it is effective protection but not the prettiest. Mine fell out my crappy jacket pocket a couple of times not long after I got it, once onto pavement and the phone was still working perfect and damage free. The screen protector that comes standard also saved the screen but I've now switched to liquid glass. I've got a wallet type protector that I had ordered before the phone arrived but have never used. I think it's fake leather. You can have it FOC if you want Mr X?

Is it one like this ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gukas-Protection-Bluboo-Maya-Max/dp/B01MFBKEX1/ref=sr_1_cc_8?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1493029994&sr=1-8-catcorr&keywords=bluboo+maya+max+case

.. that has a sticker to fix the phone in? If so, thanks but I'll pass

39 minutes ago, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

Yeah, Ive seen that one too. Im looking for one like that but with card slots. Thanks anyway

Gone for the Umi Z as was in EU stock, should be here Friday according to tracking. Guess the next thing will be sourcing a case and maybe cables, can nick into town and go to Maplin on Saturday. It's got Dragontrail Glass, which seems a positive though.