Buying a Chinese phone....

wunfellaff

Yes patchy at moment, but , certainly with 3, you don't get access to even the data unless you have a VoLTE capable phone with network support. Ie a handful. EE is meant to be the same but rumours of folk being allowed on for data, but as it is still being tested (the big December launch not happened yet) who knows? *ysym better call quality yada yada, and yes you'll still get on the other bands of 4g with 3, just not the 800mhz one....

Yes patchy at moment, but , certainly with 3, you don't get access to even the data unless you have a VoLTE capable phone with network support. Ie a handful. EE is meant to be the same but rumours of folk being allowed on for data, but as it is still being tested (the big December launch not happened yet) who knows? *ysym better call quality yada yada, and yes you'll still get on the other bands of 4g with 3, just not the 800mhz one....

I had data access on 3 with the Max. I have been having issues with voice calls on BT/EE but it looks like turning off "enhanced 4g lte" has fixed that.

On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 16:04, Njord said:

Let us know how you get on ....

Okay, well my Maya Max was ordered on Sunday and arrived this morning. Gearbest was fine. I think I kept more of an eye on the tracking than I would with say Amazon, just because I hadn't used them before and did have misgivings about the site.

First impressions of the phone are good. Feels solid. The only issue I am having is that the double-tap to wake and close the phone doesn't work. Not a dealbreaker and perhaps missing something on that.

43 minutes ago, punk_dfc said:

Okay, well my Maya Max was ordered on Sunday and arrived this morning. Gearbest was fine. I think I kept more of an eye on the tracking than I would with say Amazon, just because I hadn't used them before and did have misgivings about the site.

First impressions of the phone are good. Feels solid. The only issue I am having is that the double-tap to wake and close the phone doesn't work. Not a dealbreaker and perhaps missing something on that.

Firstly, f**k off .. I waited ages for mine <_<

Ive never tried double tap on mine! Have you set up the fingerprint recognition for unlocking?

Sorry Mr X. Mine came from an EU warehouse if that makes any difference.

On the double tap, it was just something I saw in one of the videos I saw in YouTube and is something I'm used to with my last phone.

Fingerprint sensor works great for opening up but would have liked for putting phone to sleep

It is a great piece of kit though. Really appreciate the comments on here.

46 minutes ago, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

Never knew there was a double tap screen wake function. The fingerprint sensor is pretty reliable unless your finger is wet or has been in water for a while and after drying.your fingerprint is wrinkled.

19 minutes ago, punk_dfc said:

Sorry Mr X. Mine came from an EU warehouse if that makes any difference.

On the double tap, it was just something I saw in one of the videos I saw in YouTube and is something I'm used to with my last phone.

Fingerprint sensor works great for opening up but would have liked for putting phone to sleep

It is a great piece of kit though. Really appreciate the comments on here.

Yeah, I could only get it from the Chinese warehouse. I see Amazon are selling them now too

The double tap to wake option isnt in the display settings so looks like it doesnt work on the Maya Max

Mine arrived the other day too (sorry Mr X) :P

Really impressed with it, only a couple of minor things that bug me. 

1) that you can't turn off the camera noise when you take a picture, that might be just an android thing as I've been an apple zombie for years now

2) the charger that it came with doesn't feel very secure, like the 2 pin to 3 pin adaptor feels quite loose. 

21 minutes ago, RussellV1 said:

Mine arrived the other day too (sorry Mr X) :P

Really impressed with it, only a couple of minor things that bug me. 

1) that you can't turn off the camera noise when you take a picture, that might be just an android thing as I've been an apple zombie for years now

2) the charger that it came with doesn't feel very secure, like the 2 pin to 3 pin adaptor feels quite loose

The 1st thing I did when my Max arrived was order a new adapter & cable. Didn't trust the one that came with it. Just didn't look or feel safe.

Just thought I would give initial comments from a day of use of the Maya Max. Might be handy for others reading the thread looking to make a decision.

Generally really impressed. The phone is fast and responsive. It feels really solid. It certainly doesn't feel like a £123 phone.

Main problem is with public Wi-Fi.  On Scotrail Wi-Fi, which I use every morning, I could only get it working if  I switched off my "Cellular Data". Not a massive deal, but a minor annoyance. There does not seem to be any issues with Wi-Fi at home.

I also found the Bluetooth connection to my wireless headphones a bit temperamental. This improved when I removed the plastic protective case but is another annoyance.

Generally very positive though and am happy with my purchase

• 2 weeks later...

Discovered loudspeaker isn't very good on the Maya Max, the person I'm on a call with gets a bad echo of what they say fed back down the line to them. 

Probably the first major minus point I've came across with it 

Edited by RussellV1

On 10/09/2016 at 12:46, Njord said:

Cleaning the hoose and came across the instructions for doing the volume change via the engineers mode so I'll stick it here in case anyone else does buy the Super, or indeed any other mediatek phone .

Open the dialer as if making a call, and dial

*#*#3646633#*#*

Scroll right - hardware testing- audio-normal mode - media.

For audio, audio&headset & headset, ramp the volume to '160' (do it for each of the 3), no need to save or anything, it'll remain thus unless you factory reset/flash a ROM.

Sorry Russell , can't quote so that's the post you need I think. Maya Max is a mediatek chip, so above should work, or at least get you in with minor menu differences. It'll hopefully help increase volume. **'mtk tools' is available on play store from memory, but that just does the same but from an app....

Edited by Njord

Had an epic today. Ads kept popping up on the phone so I decided to do a factory reset. Recovery mode is all in chinese so had to decipher that first! Then phone booted up but none of the google stuff would work, couldnt even add a google account, the "play services" stopped working.

So, found the google apps on this site www.opengapps.org but needed to flash from recovery. Tried to install TWRP using some flash tool but couldnt get it to detect the phone. Managed to install it using ADB and booted into TWRP but was getting some weird "orange alert" and the phone wouldnt boot into android. Decided the only way to fix that was to load a custom ROM, so installed the Lineage OS ROM, which is the continuation of Cyanogenmod. That worked but now no google apps at all! Back into TWRP, installed the package from opengapps and, finally, everything is getting back to normal!

<tl dr>Dont factory reset the Maya Max </tl dr>