Arcade Fire

AirdrieGuy

Am I the only one not mad for it? Like a band trying hard to sound like Talking Heads. After finding their last album a bit meh I'm a bit concerned this new one is going to be the same. Shame as the first three are absolutely stunning.

Am I the only one not mad for it? Like a band trying hard to sound like Talking Heads. After finding their last album a bit meh I'm a bit concerned this new one is going to be the same. Shame as the first three are absolutely stunning.

It's a large departure from the first 3, but at the end of the day the first 3 albums will never be replicated; either in style or quality, I came to terms with that when Reflektor first came out. But Reflektor was very much an album of the times; 2013 was the beginning of a dark period in the world in general and Reflektor was a pretty dark album since it was "reflecting" all of that badness in the world back on us (it's almost the same as neon bible in that respect, albeit more modern). I think Everything Now is an album telling us that we're probably at the endgame of post-modernism now; where do we go now that we have everything now?

Sounding absolutely at their peak in their latest outing at Primavera. Probably the best I've heard them at a concert too. Closing with Windowsill is another thing they've never really done, but it was well appreciated, definitely one out of the blue. 

And my favourite ever song, Sprawl ii, has never sounded better. 

Edited by SweeperDee

13 hours ago, tigerton said:

I seen a link on reddit to it on Spotify but can't get it to work

It was released over in the US first. The link was to the US Spotify I think, which is why you probably couldn't access it; it's on the UK version now though, which is good. 

Where has funeral went to btw? It's disappeared from their listed albums. 

It's a large departure from the first 3, but at the end of the day the first 3 albums will never be replicated; either in style or quality, I came to terms with that when Reflektor first came out. But Reflektor was very much an album of the times; 2013 was the beginning of a dark period in the world in general and Reflektor was a pretty dark album since it was "reflecting" all of that badness in the world back on us (it's almost the same as neon bible in that respect, albeit more modern). I think Everything Now is an album telling us that we're probably at the endgame of post-modernism now; where do we go now that we have everything now?

I understand you can't just keep making the same album over and over and a band has to progress. But there's no point progressing if you're not doing something better. Reflektor had some fantastic songs on it mixed in alot of average ones. Just listened to "Creature Comfort" and much like the last new song it's a decent enough tune without standing out as anything special. Arcade Fire used to always stand out as something very special.

• 2 weeks later...

Wellllllll; signs of life has been released, and it's fucking amazing. Absolute "perty" tune. Talking heads all over the shop, and that's never a bad thing. Easily the best band of the past 20 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Second time in a row they closed with Neon Bible, with the added Manchester mastery of Love Will Tear Us Apart. 

Was genuinely one of the best gigs I've been at, and it's being regarded as one of Arcade Fire's best live performances ever, which I feel priveleged as f**k to have witness. What an experience. 

Second time in a row they closed with Neon Bible, with the added Manchester mastery of Love Will Tear Us Apart. 
Was genuinely one of the best gigs I've been at, and it's being regarded as one of Arcade Fire's best live performances ever, which I feel priveleged as f**k to have witness. What an experience. 

Totally agree! What a venue. Never been to an outdoor gig where it felt so intimate. Great crowd as well.

The crowd can have a huge influence on the enjoyment levels of a gig, as I found out at Radiohead on Friday!

Wow.

it's absolutely spectacular,

they are all brilliant. 

Sounding absolutely at their peak

Easily the best band of the past 20 years.

What an experience. 

beauty of a tune:

You're basically like Mastermind with the Premier League but instead with Arcade Fire.

Unashamedly.

Superfan number wan. To be honest I wished I shared your enthusiasm for the new stuff. It only takes one bad album to taint a band for me and this stuff is doing it to me. Hearing zero shoegaze about "Electric Blue" also.