Facts you made up

Mak

Last night the cricket highlights were on the news and they were playing music between "ends" (:unsure). Girlfriend asked me why they have music on at the cricket.

Quick as a flash I told her that around 1900 there was no such thing as music in the UK or Europe and that a group of cricketers had heard it on some far flung tour. They brought back instruments/written notes etc and basically introduced music to the UK and Europe.

ETA - She has accepted this and I have doubt she will share this wisdom today with her sister who will also accept it as fact.

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/06/2017 at 19:02, D.A.F.C said:

Ah, hence the Victorian nick name for them. Quimbys.

In fact the name Quimby is a modern additiional and is due to their similarity in shape to the nose of the Mayor of Springfield.

Mayor_Quimby.png

In her original notes for Harry Potter, JK Rowling had Myles Hogarth as a character name having seen and liked the name on the back page of an Edinburgh Evening Express. The name was later changed to Ron Weasley.

The four ancient architectural orders were Doric (example - the Parthenon), Ionic (example - Temple of Artemis), Corinthian (example - Temple of Zeus at Olympus) and Shitey Ugly Concrete (example - Cumbernauld shopping centre).

Although officially the death penalty was abolished in the UK some fifty years ago, a person can still be executed at the express wish of the monarch. The last person to suffer this fate was one Martin Harrison, a footman at Buckingham Palace. On October 7th, 2002, he was beheaded with a sword wielded by Prince Philip himself, after being spotted kicking a corgi which was getting between his feet while he was trying to serve breakfast that morning.

Fidget Spinners were devised by the Department of Human Studies at Hull University to gauge the gullibility of people to buy needless, hyped up gadgets. A spokesperson for the University reported that people's gullibility had by far exceeded what they forecast.

Popes are entitled according to canon law to take a dump in the "biretta" of a cardinal of their choice. It is believed that Gregory XV was the last one to actually do this.

After consecrating Cardinal Winning in 1994 the pickled cabbage loving, Polish Pope John Paul II let off a particularly loud and squelchy fart at which Winning quipped "after only just receiving this hat it would be a shame to spoil it, but here you are" (in Latin obviously)

According to Winning's biography "The holy father chuckled, thanked me for the offer but wouldn't be needing my biretta. He excused himself to the lavatory and was gone for 22 minutes"

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

Ferruccio Lamborghini did not want a bull as an emblem for car badge and the first design was a shortening of his name 

The first badges on Lamborghini cars were lambs, as the founder Ferruccio Lamborghini was a sheep herder and

Lamborghini is Italian for 'sheep driver'.