Las Vegas hotel tips

Disco Duck

I want to go to Vegas in few years so that Mrs Tinky and me can renew our wedding vows at one of these tacky Elvis ceremonies.(nothing but the best for swmbo).

Anybody else done this or knows the best, most tacky, Elvis themed place to do it?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone know how successful the $20 trick is? What were the results?

It will work more often than not.

Worked for me at Planet Hollywood, Aria and Bally's. Did not work at Paris.

You can waste your time by going to www.frontdesktip.com and seeing what TripAdvisor search can bring you, but it is all down to the mood the reservation clerk is in and/or your friendliness/demeanor.

At PH and Bally's I didn't stick the $20 in between the credit card and ID, just simply asked if they had "any complimentary upgrades available" and they did. That's when I gave them the money as a tip. Some will refuse, others won't.

Also, if you are travelling with a gf/wife, let them know it is your anniversary. Always good for a bottle or something or chocolate-covered strawberries.

These anecdotes ring true for any city in the U.S., not just Vegas.

It worked for me at Caesars Palace. We provisionally booked online and then played the "this is our first time in Vegas" card with the girl at the desk. Tipped her 30 dollars and we were offered upgrades. We were offered a proper suite at much reduced prices but weren't brave enough to take it.

Sorry I don't mean minimum spend on tables I'm talking about the thing at check in where you stick $20 in a passport and ask if there are any complimentary upgrades?

Vegas loves a love story, tell them you are on honeymoon and you will get champagne and strawberries sent up to the room. Worked for me and the wife.

We're just back from a fortnight in the states. Done Vegas > LA > San Fran (pish) > Vegas again via the Yosemite NP (breathtaking). Stayed in both the Bellagio and the Aria in Vegas. Both hotels are quality and highly recommended. The Bellagio was the better of the two in my opinion, but Arias rooms are much more modern.

I won a couple of grand in the Bellagio on one of those fruit machines, had no idea what I was doing. It meant me and the wife didn't have to touch the spending money we had saved which was ideal!

The poster above is spot on about the Aria, full of 'Jocks' and the women are off the scale. Worth it for the sights alone tbh ;)

Gutted to read that about San Fran, we're going the opposite way, San Fran,la,Vegas and Orlando, but iv heard of lots of folks saying that about the honeymoon thing, wonder if they ever think 'aye right' haha.

The honeymoon thing definitely works, the receptionist more often than not asks if you are celebrating anything so you just say yeah, its my honeymoon / anniversary etc.

Some people love San Fran, you probably will too, that pish comment was just my personal opinion. Other than going to Alcatraz, Pier 39, The GG Bridge etc I just thought it was quite boring. Not really interested in bridges it must be said. Plus, I'm a big saftie and hate seeing the homeless lying and begging on the street, in San Fran theres thousands. More than I've ever seen in any other major city I've been to.

If you are driving between SF and Vegas I definitely recommend the Yosemite NP, its brilliant. But its a fair old drive to Vegas via Yosemite and Death Valley, something like 13 hours I was behind the wheel. Definitely worth it though!

• 1 month later...

My advice, make sure Floyd Maywether Aint feckin fighting inc fthe MgM on the night you are arriving.

Mental it was oh and avoid circus circus, what a dump.

The all you can eat brekkies are amazing, had stuffed crab, brussels, chicken, eggs benedict and french toast on the one plate this morning and then 3 puddings.

Im like homer Simpson

post-10864-0-77294300-1410910082_thumb.j

• 2 months later...

Stayed in the Cosmo last year. Great hotel in the middle of the strip, if you get on the right side of the hotel you get some cracking views of the Bellagio fountains.

A bit pricey certainly, but as with anything you get what you pay for.

The Luxor is a decent enough hotel for a lower price, although it is a little bit further away from the main attractions.

Regardless of hotel though, Vegas is quite something. It's like nowhere else In the world, you'll have a great time.

Stayed at the Excalibur, pretty good, have to say, very handy for the strip etc We had driven to LV from San Fran, with a few stopovers it was ok. worse was 44 degrees in death valley,( Furnace ranch, well named.)

Hotel ran coaches to Grand canyon via hoover dam, which again was a long day out.

• 4 weeks later...

We have booked 6 days and 5 nights end of April, beginning of May for my mates 40th. The wives are letting us have one last hurrah and this will be my 3rd time with the boys in LV, cannot wait. Hopeful that the boxing is announced soon!!!

Staying at the MGM Signature, which looks pretty minted as its a Suite we have. Cant wait.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have any good sites for getting Vegas slightly cheaper? Looking to be going for 4/5 nights in August but struggling to get above 3 star hotels for under £1k. I might be living in a fantasy world where that's actually possible, mind you.... :lol:

Have a look at the secret hotels thing, you get massive discounts and you can work out what hotel you're actually going to. I think it's last minute, basically you get the number of trip advisor reviews on the secret hotels and you can easily use that to identify the hotel you are actually getting, we got 3 nights in October in vdara for £100 a night.

That sounds like hotwire. I used it when me and my mates went to New York, worked out the hotel from trip advisor ratings and got the Millennium Broadway right in Times Square for about £800, instead of £1800 for 6 nights.

Has anyone stayed in The Mandalay Bay hotel??

Visited Vegas in July last year and stayed here and the MGM. Mandalay bay was the better of the two hotels and was much quieter of the two while still having a buzz about the place. Plenty restaurants and Michael Jackson show is fantastic. Monorail to Luxor and Excalibur was handy as you are actually just off the strip I would say at Mandalay Bay.

Anyone have any good sites for getting Vegas slightly cheaper? Looking to be going for 4/5 nights in August but struggling to get above 3 star hotels for under £1k. I might be living in a fantasy world where that's actually possible, mind you.... :lol:

We've booked 3 nights in June in Paris (4 star) - pool and Strip view, mid range room, just over £100 per night plus resort fee about $29 per night, through Expedia

Had a similar room last year and it was fine.

We liked Paris because it's pretty central for most things. Only the Stratosphere and Freemont Street are outside easy walking distance, but we have a car with us anyway.

It all depends what you're looking for.

Archived