Car advice

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Is there a reason why you're going for a 4 wheel drive? Do you intend to go off roading, or is it a safety thing for a bad winter? Never felt the need myself.

#NewtonMearns #SchoolRun #YummyMummy

2 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

My wife already has a Honda CRV to cross off those boxes.  

I see myself as more of the adventurous dad that does sporty things.

If you already have a family car you should be looking for a sports car to offset your impending midlife crisis.

6 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I stopped using my private plate last year.  I get a new lease car every two years and it’s a pain in the arse (and costly) to keep changing it.

However I’m far less likely to remember the registration now.

I got a private plate a while back, I now need a car I can put it on as my current car is too old for it 

6 minutes ago, Rowan said:

Can I fix my boot release (which isn’t releasing)  with a hammer or am I best going to a mechanic? 

If you can move the back seats forward you might get access to the inside of the boot, and fiddle about a bit. Although a hammer solves most things so long as you don't need the boot to close again.

Edited by welshbairn

8 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I stopped using my private plate last year.  I get a new lease car every two years and it’s a pain in the arse (and costly) to keep changing it.

However I’m far less likely to remember the registration now.

I found it cheaper to change my name rather than the plate.

Yours Faithfully 

SL05 EEF.

9 hours ago, welshbairn said:

If you can move the back seats forward you might get access to the inside of the boot, and fiddle about a bit. Although a hammer solves most things so long as you don't need the boot to close again.

I had a look on you tube and the but that compressed is probably stuck

I’ll give it a go later.

I’m actually coming round to the idea of getting a car on PCP. Originally I thought it was stupid that you made monthly payments for 3-5 years and never even owned your motor at the end of it but if I were to go down the route of hire purchase I would only use the car at the end of the deal as a trade in for a newer car and then start all over again and the monthly repayments would still be more than if I just did it on PCP anyway. What a carry on.

We were talking about this last night.  We were just going to buy the new car outright, but a couple of our friends have said we should go down the PCP road.

I've always thought that you're paying a lot of money and have nothing to show for it, but it seems to be something everyone is doing. 

We were talking about this last night.  We were just going to buy the new car outright, but a couple of our friends have said we should go down the PCP road.
I've always thought that you're paying a lot of money and have nothing to show for it, but it seems to be something everyone is doing. 

I was thinking of putting £1000 down for a car worth £6000 and then paying it off over 4 years time on hire purchase and then in 4 years time trading the car in and starting again. I can get the same car on PCP with a £300 deposit and give or take the same monthly payments over 3 years and then when contract is up i can start again with a new car. With the hire purchase deal the car will be worth about £2000 at the end of the deal if I’m lucky and I’ll have been paying it off for an extra year as opposed to the PCP deal when the car will be worth far less than it was when I first got it.

There’s no right or wrong way of doing it I suppose and cars just lose you money but there aren’t really any advantages to owning the car at the end of the deal when the deposit you need for pcp is much less.

One of the advantages of HP is being able to hand the car back at the halfway stage if your circumstances change or if you want to just change the car. I’ve just bought the Mrs a car on PCP but she doesn’t do the mileage that I do so it suits us for that. My mileage means that PCP deals are fairly high so not that cost effective but it has been in the news recently about PCP having the same get out clause as HP but needless to say the lenders are trying to challenge it.