Car advice

7 minutes ago, HTG said:

I'm considering buying a hyundai i40 - 9 months old. Looks like it's got plenty of toys for the money - heated leather seats on this version. 

Anyone got one/had on and if so how was it to own? 

Not had one but it does look like a cracking bit of kit. Think it's worth a punt.

• 3 months later...

Just about to buy my first car, going to get something around about 2007/8 plate. Looking at focus as cheap option for a year then upgrade after all my crashes are out the way or an audi a3 sline, which I'd probably keep for a few more years and hopefully not write off. What's everyone's thoughts, best to go cheap for first car or is it a false economy and best to just spend a buit more and get something a bit more enjoyable?

6 minutes ago, JamieT1314 said:

Just about to buy my first car, going to get something around about 2007/8 plate. Looking at focus as cheap option for a year then upgrade after all my crashes are out the way or an audi a3 sline, which I'd probably keep for a few more years and hopefully not write off. What's everyone's thoughts, best to go cheap for first car or is it a false economy and best to just spend a buit more and get something a bit more enjoyable?

A lot depends on your age as insurance is always going to be a factor. If you are fairly young then I would suggest something small for a while to give you a chance to build up a decent NCB. Bit boring and sensible but unfortunately insurance is always going to be a factor in any new drivers choice of car.

16 minutes ago, JamieT1314 said:

Small engine for the insurance and low mileage for reliability and saving money on repairs. Listen, it's your Maw talking!

13 minutes ago, JamieT1314 said:

So you saying go with the focus? Only about 200 dearer on insurance for audi

The other thing to consider is the cost of any maintenance, VAG parts are generally more expensive than Ford.

Edited by statts1976uk