Car advice

I have to admit that due to circumstances beyond my control I drive a Nissan Micra automatic, and with pride! Not a bad wee car. Every person I've asked about the overdrive thing has given me a different answer, so I haven't bothered switching it on. My best guess is that it might be worth switching on for a motorway journey, but otherwise don't bother.

over drive is the equivelent of dropping a gear in an automatic (or at least it is in my dads auris) it gives extra revs for steep inclines etc.

oh and i also owned a micra, but at least it was a manual effort. the windy window broke, the boot smelled of wet carpet and it was electric kermit the frog green.

i miss that wee bugger

over drive is the equivelent of dropping a gear in an automatic (or at least it is in my dads auris) it gives extra revs for steep inclines etc.

oh and i also owned a micra, but at least it was a manual effort. the windy window broke, the boot smelled of wet carpet and it was electric kermit the frog green.

i miss that wee bugger

Surely it's the other way round?

You go up a gear when you go into overdrive - the revs drop and your full consumption goes down. It's like slipping a manual car into 6th gear.

You go up a gear when you go into overdrive - the revs drop and your full consumption goes down. It's like slipping a manual car into 6th gear.

the Vx Astra auto has an overdrive facility, theres no button but it kicks in if you stomp hard on the accelerator, it gives you the same effect as dropping a gear in a manual

ETA but being an auto, after its dropped a gear for a bit of extra power and speed, it settles back into top gear

Edited by vip3r

the Vx Astra auto has an overdrive facility, theres no button but it kicks in if you stomp hard on the accelerator, it gives you the same effect as dropping a gear in a manual

ETA but being an auto, after its dropped a gear for a bit of extra power and speed, it settles back into top gear

That's kickdown you're thinking of.

http://ask.cars.com/2008/09/transmission-ki.html

Overdrive puts the car in the highest available gear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overdrive_(mechanics)

Yeah that sounds right. Some of the old MGs has overdrive (though my Midget doesn't) and it only kicks in in 3rd and 4th gear by the flick of a switch. It provides a higher ratio to eek out more pull for the revs you're doing.