Car advice

18 hours ago, Leith Green said:

If only I had known, I could have popped in and asked how much ! 

I was sitting in traffic outside it (well the lights at the Sainsburys petrol station) an hour ago after dropping my son back off at his gaff in Glasgow !

Awch I'm being dramatic maybe, it's just to drop it off I'd be getting either a subway then train or a couple of trains back then about 30 min walk home. Annoying if I'm needing to get back to work. 

Anyway, I actually called the guy at Deutchtek, he asked what the mileage was and if the wear indicator was on, the mileage is only 30k and no wear indicator. He seemed a bit surprised a garage was recommending both at this stage, so I'm heading down to see him this week for him to have a look. I'll reserve judgement for now, but I'll be pretty pissed off with the other garage if this doesn't need done for a while. 

A wee update on the brake discs and pads seeing as few helpful people chipped in about this. Stopped by Deutsch Tek today, very friendly chap called Craig looked at them and concluded roughly 50% worn on the rear and 60% worn on front pads and that the discs don't need replaced. I was quite shocked as that's miles off needing "done in a month" from my regular garage. 

As I said before I did know the owner of the garage for a long time, whilst I was quite angry I was thinking something isn't right here, the guy has been sound for years so it's not adding up. Phoned and got through to him, asked who worked on the car and then explained what I'd discovered. He straight away said, he'd had a few misdiagnosis on cars recently with the same name on the job sheet, that the mechanic has been sacked, (garden leave) he was very apologetic and assured me if this had gotten on the ramp the work wouldn't have been carried out if not needed. Fair play to him, can't ask for much more than that. 

@alta-pete good call on Deutsch Tek my friend, thanks. 

23 minutes ago, thistledo said:

A wee update on the brake discs and pads seeing as few helpful people chipped in about this. Stopped by Deutsch Tek today, very friendly chap called Craig looked at them and concluded roughly 50% worn on the rear and 60% worn on front pads and that the discs don't need replaced. I was quite shocked as that's miles off needing "done in a month" from my regular garage. 

As I said before I did know the owner of the garage for a long time, whilst I was quite angry I was thinking something isn't right here, the guy has been sound for years so it's not adding up. Phoned and got through to him, asked who worked on the car and then explained what I'd discovered. He straight away said, he'd had a few misdiagnosis on cars recently with the same name on the job sheet, that the mechanic has been sacked, (garden leave) he was very apologetic and assured me if this had gotten on the ramp the work wouldn't have been carried out if not needed. Fair play to him, can't ask for much more than that. 

@alta-pete good call on Deutsch Tek my friend, thanks. 

He's bullshitting you.

Nb, that was autocorrect to bullfighting, which would make a better story.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

He's bullshitting you.

Nb, that was autocorrect to bullfighting, which would make a better story.

Could be yeah, although as soon as I asked who worked on the car he was straight in with what had been happening before I could elaborate. We may never know, now that I know the going rate for the work I'll probs trade it for something newer this year.