Car advice

You’ve a new born, go for the focus. You’ll soon find once you have even an umbrella fold pram in boot you’ll have no space for luggage on your longer trips.

The small boot put me off getting a polo tbh, haven’t had a proper look at the boot of a Renault but it wasn’t something I had actually considered at this point. I just fancied a change from a Ford as they have been my previous cars and i drive a connect van at work!

The small boot put me off getting a polo tbh, haven’t had a proper look at the boot of a Renault but it wasn’t something I had actually considered at this point. I just fancied a change from a Ford as they have been my previous cars and i drive a connect van at work!
I'd agree with rowan, with a wee one to cart about then style/comfort etc go out the window , buy the car with the biggest boot/storage space you can possibly afford ! You'll find a seemingly innocuous overnight somewhere with a newborn will have even the focus bursting at the seams!

1 hour ago, Chicken Wing said:
1 hour ago, throbber said:
Going to test drive a 2013 Renault Clio on Saturday, it’s only got about 30k on clock and is £6k. My friends have said I’d be mad to go for one of them over a Focus but this is surely just their opinions. Does anyone have anything to add on this debate?

Your friends are right. Avoid Renault!

Agreed.

2 minutes ago, throbber said:

That seems like sound advice. I’ll phone up the car place and tell them they can ram their fucking Clio up their arse!

Correct decision made.

1 hour ago, throbber said:

Going to test drive a 2013 Renault Clio on Saturday, it’s only got about 30k on clock and is £6k. My friends have said I’d be mad to go for one of them over a Focus but this is surely just their opinions. Does anyone have anything to add on this debate?

I've had a 2014 1.5 dci model since new and I've done 27,000 miles in it.  Not had a single problem with it.  It's been a great wee car.  The engine is pokey enough and you can fling it about a wee bit.  Also, depending on what model you happen to be looking at, the Medianav Radio/Sat Nav system in it is very good, no DAB though.  No CD player either as seem to be the way with a lot of modern cars now.

It's too wee for me now as the kids don't have enough room in the back on the occasions that I take them anywhere in it, so I'm looking to change it out for something bigger soon.

Just now, killiepiemuncher said:

Another thing to consider is spare tyres. Full size - great, space saver - good, can of sticky spray - shite.
It’s criminal that modern car manufacturers can get away with this major oversight.

I got rid of the sticky spray and fitted a full size spare on mine.  Got a wheel and tyre for about £60 and found a scrappy that was selling the winch thing that my car needs to stow the wheel underneath.  All in cost me about £90 and I fitted it myself.

I've had a 2014 1.5 dci model since new and I've done 27,000 miles in it.  Not had a single problem with it.  It's been a great wee car.  The engine is pokey enough and you can fling it about a wee bit.  Also, depending on what model you happen to be looking at, the Medianav Radio/Sat Nav system in it is very good, no DAB though.  No CD player either as seem to be the way with a lot of modern cars now.
It's too wee for me now as the kids don't have enough room in the back on the occasions that I take them anywhere in it, so I'm looking to change it out for something bigger soon.
Glad to hear this as I've just bought that model/year as a wee run around when the Mrs has the big car with the kids. Got 19000 miles on the clock. Quite impressed with the spec in it and getting 60+mpg even without eco mode on ! Cracking wee car to drive .

3 hours ago, throbber said:

Get a fucking grip of yourself! It takes 5 minutes to buy a car. You’ve been whining about it in your Alan Bennett-esque way for about a year now. 

Get a fucking grip of yourself! It takes 5 minutes to buy a car. You’ve been whining about it in your Alan Bennett-esque way for about a year now. 

I’m discussing cars in a relevant thread. If you don’t like it then go take a good f**k to yourself.

1 minute ago, throbber said:

I’m discussing cars in a relevant thread. If you don’t like it then go take a good f**k to yourself.

Any second hand thing for about £6k is going to cost you a bit in terms of running repairs etc - at least Renault parts are cheap. Still think you’d be safer on a new/pcp arrangement where you’re not going to be hit with big repair bills. 

Just get on with it and stop fannying about.

Any second hand thing for about £6k is going to cost you a bit in terms of running repairs etc - at least Renault parts are cheap. Still think you’d be safer on a new/pcp arrangement where you’re not going to be hit with big repair bills. 
Just get on with it and stop fannying about.

But I’m only going to be doing 5-7 thousand miles a year, a newer pcp deal for a car I won’t own at the end of paying off about 6 grand for it might not be what I want. Hence why I’m taking a while to decide on what’s best. I am also still due my tax rebate so I don’t have the funds yet.

Just now, throbber said:

But I’m only going to be doing 5-7 thousand miles a year, a newer pcp deal for a car I won’t own at the end of paying off about 6 grand for it might not be what I want. Hence why I’m taking a while to decide on what’s best. I am also still due my tax rebate so I don’t have the funds yet.

You’ll own a 6k car but don’t be surprised to be shelling out a small fortune, even on low miles for stuff like suspension parts, tyres - it will have been traded in for a reason. How much will it be worth in 3 years? 2k? And have probably cost you a good few grand to keep on the road. 

You’ll own a 6k car but don’t be surprised to be shelling out a small fortune, even on low miles for stuff like suspension parts, tyres - it will have been traded in for a reason. How much will it be worth in 3 years? 2k? And have probably cost you a good few grand to keep on the road. 

That depends though, i has a focus back in 2009-2012 that I bought for £5k and it didn’t require much work at all, it had about 45 k on the clock when I got it and I was doing about 12000 miles a year.

35 minutes ago, JamesP_81 said:
2 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Glad to hear this as I've just bought that model/year as a wee run around when the Mrs has the big car with the kids. Got 19000 miles on the clock. Quite impressed with the spec in it and getting 60+mpg even without eco mode on ! Cracking wee car to drive .

I got it up into the high 70's with the eco mode on.  Tend to leave that off now as I read somewhere that the eco modes don't do the DPF any good, and I don't do as much motorway driving with it as I used to.

I still get over 50 mpg doing relatively short journeys. 

2 hours ago, throbber said:

I’ll still visit the place and take it for a test drive and see what I think about space etc. It’s only one child
I have for now!

You’ll look at boot and think Ach that’s plenty for one kid. And then regret it 2 weeks later. 

I bought a Fiat 500 when I left my ex husband. So I speak from experience!

14 minutes ago, Rowan said:

You’ll look at boot and think Ach that’s plenty for one kid. And then regret it 2 weeks later. 

I bought a Fiat 500 when I left my ex husband. So I speak from experience!

11 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Mrs X ditched her Ford Ka very quickly after our first child!

We had 3 under 3's at one point , and had to buy a Ssangyong Rexton, for both the boot space, and a back seat wide enough to take 3 car seats.