Car advice

Not I’m my experience I’m afraid.

Long story but an elderly relative died, 64 plate Golf, WBAC quote was £10800. Spent about 90mins fannying about in their Falkirk Vauxhall branch, chap on site referred it off elsewhere in EH and eventually came back and said we can give you £9700. But what about the ‘we beat wbac promise?’ No answer, looked at his feet and shuffled about.

Off down WBAC half an hour later, a chip in price for a ding and a fee for a fast money transfer and we’re away with £10600.

TBF

I'm not surprised to hear that, especially from that branch.

Let's just say my last dealings with them (firey Zafira recall 1) ended up with complaints to EH and Vauxhall chief execs......

• 2 weeks later...

My 07 plate Mazda had its MOT on Monday. It failed on:

1 coil spring (dangerously broken)

3 brake pipes badly corroded.

I could have fixed these at the cost of £400 (when you include VAT and the cost of the test). Had I done so I'd have been left with a car with 2 nearly bald tyres and 8 advisories. So, I decided to scrap it. Not worth the money. 

Took my last car to WBAC and to be honest got a decent price for the limited hassle it was. Listed everything that was wrong with it, all the dents etc so they didn't even try and knock the price down when I took it in.

On 08/03/2018 at 11:46, scottsdad said:

My 07 plate Mazda had its MOT on Monday. It failed on:

1 coil spring (dangerously broken)

3 brake pipes badly corroded.

I could have fixed these at the cost of £400 (when you include VAT and the cost of the test). Had I done so I'd have been left with a car with 2 nearly bald tyres and 8 advisories. So, I decided to scrap it. Not worth the money. 

Coil spring and brake pipes are not expensive.  What were the advisories? Seems a bit drastic?

• 3 weeks later...

Current car (Audi A3) broke down last week and despite being fixed is clearly on the way out. Looking at replacements and wondered about a BMW 1 Series but the stories of how shite they are in winter is off putting, as the 4 wheel drive versions add a bit onto the price. Considering just getting another A3, or does anyone have any other recommendations?

WBAC offered 6k for my current one, but I’ll probabky just look to get about that value for trading in against a new one.

Current car (Audi A3) broke down last week and despite being fixed is clearly on the way out. Looking at replacements and wondered about a BMW 1 Series but the stories of how shite they are in winter is off putting, as the 4 wheel drive versions add a bit onto the price. Considering just getting another A3, or does anyone have any other recommendations?
WBAC offered 6k for my current one, but I’ll probabky just look to get about that value for trading in against a new one.

Can’t believe it’s on the way out if they think it’s worth £6k - clearly some life in it yet!

However, I also went from an Audi to a bmw last year. You’ll notice a significant dip in build quality. It feels far less well screwed together. But then I also paid significantly less for the bmw than the equivalent Audi.

The recent snow was definitely challenging in a rwd but for the three days a year that it might be a problem I wouldn’t let that sway me on a decision for the other 362.

Ye pays yer money, ye takes yer choice. (Helpful? Naw, I didn’t think so!)

On 25/02/2018 at 23:34, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Anyone know by how much webuyanycar undervalue your car? Or how to get a realistic value of my car? Looking to sell it because it's a piece of shit.

WeBuyAnyCar own all the car auction sites in Scotland now, so they pretty much offer you as little as possible as they make raw profit from the trade through auction centres. An utterly vile company who are single handedly killing small businesses by undercutting them all, and then charging extortionate fees through the auction.

£6k car is bought by them at £4k, sold at auction for £5k, and they add over £500 "buyers fees". 

The less people who use them the better. As once they completely control the used car sector along with Arnold Clark, we're all fucked.

On 26/03/2018 at 22:51, Honest_Man#1 said:

M135i....

Hard to recommend a car when we're not sure what you're needing? Do you need a five door/petrol/lots of space?

16 hours ago, alta-pete said:

Can’t believe it’s on the way out if they think it’s worth £6k - clearly some life in it yet!

However, I also went from an Audi to a bmw last year. You’ll notice a significant dip in build quality. It feels far less well screwed together. But then I also paid significantly less for the bmw than the equivalent Audi.

The recent snow was definitely challenging in a rwd but for the three days a year that it might be a problem I wouldn’t let that sway me on a decision for the other 362.

Ye pays yer money, ye takes yer choice. (Helpful? Naw, I didn’t think so!)

Injector circuit has gone, and it’s a diesel, so good chance the others will go as well. At £600 a pop I’m not taking he chance so definitely on the way out!

15 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

WeBuyAnyCar own all the car auction sites in Scotland now, so they pretty much offer you as little as possible as they make raw profit from the trade through auction centres. An utterly vile company who are single handedly killing small businesses by undercutting them all, and then charging extortionate fees through the auction.

£6k car is bought by them at £4k, sold at auction for £5k, and they add over £500 "buyers fees". 

The less people who use them the better. As once they completely control the used car sector along with Arnold Clark, we're all fucked.

M135i....

Hard to recommend a car when we're not sure what you're needing? Do you need a five door/petrol/lots of space?

I’d like 5 doors and ideally petrol, not too fussed about space but wouldn’t go smaller than a typical A3 size.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, killiepiemuncher said:

My Honda Civic leaks like f**k when it rains, the boot is like fucking Loch Lomond. Any suggestions.

Open the boot, sprinkle talc powder/flour all around the rubber seal, then close it tight and pour water around it. Open it and see if it has been passing over the seal. 

I've also seen water get in around the rear light clusters in some designs.

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

The spring on my handbrake has gone. It now pulls all the way up. Should I get that fixed pronto, and is it an expensive job?

Is your handbrake on the rear calipers or do you have handbrake shoes and also rear discs at the back?

You used to be able to take your car in to Kwik Fit for a free full brake check, but now they charge £24.95 but that comes off your bill if you get it sorted there.  You could see what they say then haggle with an alternative price quoted elsewhere.

Edited by FlyerTon

Is your handbrake on the rear calipers or do you have handbrake shoes and also rear discs at the back?
You used to be able to take your car in to Kwik Fit for a free full brake check, but now they charge £24.95 but that comes off your bill if you get it sorted there.  You could see what they say then haggle with an alternative price quoted elsewhere.

I've absolutely no idea. It sometimes sticks when it's been siting idle for a week perhaps. A shake of the car and that's fixed though.

10 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

I've absolutely no idea. It sometimes sticks when it's been siting idle for a week perhaps. A shake of the car and that's fixed though.

My last car did the exact same. I just started leaving it in gear and not using the handbrake at all. Still passed it's next MOT.

• 2 weeks later...

As I said previously i was thinking of getting a car on PCP as you pay a smaller deposit and smaller monthly repayments but the more I have been looking at deals the less attractive an offer it seems. For example I could get a £9k car with £300 down and £160 a month repayments on a 4 year pcp deal and by the end of that term I would have paid about £7000 for a car that I won’t own after it. I’m now thinking for of putting down a deposit of £1000 and taking out a bank loan and buying a £8000 car at cash price. What sort of monthly repayments would I have on that sort of loan and what interest rates would I pay on that in comparison to a pcp deal or hire purchase deal? I have never taken a loan out before.

I keep seeing/hearing  all these renting deals on the TV/Radio and can anyone tell me what the attraction is?

The price you pay seems ridiculous considering you own nothing and I can only compare it to Renting instead of a mortgage.

Am I missing something?

28 minutes ago, throbber said:

As I said previously i was thinking of getting a car on PCP as you pay a smaller deposit and smaller monthly repayments but the more I have been looking at deals the less attractive an offer it seems. For example I could get a £9k car with £300 down and £160 a month repayments on a 4 year pcp deal and by the end of that term I would have paid about £7000 for a car that I won’t own after it. I’m now thinking for of putting down a deposit of £1000 and taking out a bank loan and buying a £8000 car at cash price. What sort of monthly repayments would I have on that sort of loan and what interest rates would I pay on that in comparison to a pcp deal or hire purchase deal? I have never taken a loan out before.

https://www.lloydsbank.com/loans/loan-personal.asp#oelcalc