Car advice

I thought about this, is there a chance the rates on Arnold Clark website are just headline rates and once the deal is going through they will be adjusted?

Nope. I think ac deliberately use a flat rate figure to appear competitive against other finance options, but arent really.

They quote both and still beat my bank which I found strange.

Bank quoting 16% and Arnold clark quoting 9% Apr.

It was my banks pcp car finance specific loan so also secured.

Those are stupid rates. In any case check what the early settlement rule is from Arnold in case they front load the interest.

14 hours ago, JamieT1314 said:

I thought about this, is there a chance the rates on Arnold Clark website are just headline rates and once the deal is going through they will be adjusted?

Almost certainly. Finance companies are only required by law to give 51% of successful applicants their headline rate.

17 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Those are stupid rates. In any case check what the early settlement rule is from Arnold in case they front load the interest.

No-one front-loads interest.

3 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
5 minutes ago, Gaz said:
No-one front-loads interest.

So no-one uses the Actuarial method any more?

EDIT: Hang on, I'm away at a tangent here.

What do you mean by Actuarial method? Do you just mean compounding interest? That's not the same as front-loading.

Edited by Gaz

EDIT: Hang on, I'm away at a tangent here.
What do you mean by Actuarial method? Do you just mean compounding interest? That's not the same as front-loading.
I'm well out of the loop here having done some more research the rule of 78 is long gone so looks like early repayment is much more reasonable now. Apologies for any confusion caused.

Bought a Volvo V40 Cross Country this afternoon. Did a but of hunting about and research on it before we went to see one. Evans Halshaw were the cheapest by a long shot, not sure if that'll be the same on all makes and models though. 

I'm picking my car up tomorrow from Evans Halshaw, been alright but can be a nightmare to get hold of on the phone, they'd promised to service and resolve a start stop issue before I picked it up, so I guess we'll see tomorrow. 

Apparently Evans halshaw have a trick where the final number of the price is the numbers of weeks its been there. As in a car at £9995 has been there at least five weeks. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

I'm picking my car up tomorrow from Evans Halshaw, been alright but can be a nightmare to get hold of on the phone, they'd promised to service and resolve a start stop issue before I picked it up, so I guess we'll see tomorrow. 
Apparently Evans halshaw have a trick where the final number of the price is the numbers of weeks its been there. As in a car at £9995 has been there at least five weeks. 

Good luck!

4 minutes ago, sonsanorak said:

Test drove a cmax with the 1.0 petrol zetec engine. It was like a motorbike engine, very quick to rev and easy to cane.

That'll be why so many find the economy disappointing I'd guess.

I had a Daewoo Matiz for a while. 800cc and it sucked up the petrol. You had to rock the car at full revs to go up steep hills, but I later found out it was only running on two of the 3 cylinders. Got more from the scrappie than you'd probably get for a Merc now.