Car advice

29 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Steer clear of Renaults unless you like feeling like you're stirring a bucket of bricks when changing gear, or if you like cars where the electrics go all fucked up at some point in the (very near) future.

I've had a Clio for the last 4 years and never had one problem with it.

2 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I've had 2 Renaults over the last 9 years, I'm with Boghead ranter. Stay well clear.

Yep, my Clio which I inherited has the radio drain the battery everytime there is a cold spell and had the windscreen washer stalk start burning one time which then needed replaced.

The electrics on the scenic we had were fucked.

i drive a Picasso, it has three full seats across the back which is handy. When I was married we had the 7 seat version. Ugly as f**k but loads of space.

44 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Were they the front and back or the left and right?

Swapped one for another and went down to Chester to do the exchange. Meant to be brand new, fresh off the boat from Renault. Seemed to be a one-off with a spec not normally on sale in UK so just phoned and bought it.  Got it home and missus looks out the living room window and asks "why is the passenger door a different colour to the rest?". She was right too. Must have been pranged and hastily sprayed an I'd never noticed when picking it up. It was almost bronze and the rest was a metallic black.

ETA - Clio with a blacker door post spray:

ED5FD665-8D15-4D9F-8C99-F28EB9412D3D.jpeg

Edited by Shandon Par

I've had a couple of wee Clios, great wee workhorse for commuting and never had a problem with either of them. 

I'm now in the process of trading in for a Zoe, as it will cost me heehaw due to some funding I can tap into.

Hoping for more of the same, but with a bit of hassle charging perhaps.  Anybody gone for an EV and any advice, particularly on which charger to get installed?

16 minutes ago, eddiemunster said:

I've had a couple of wee Clios, great wee workhorse for commuting and never had a problem with either of them. 

I'm now in the process of trading in for a Zoe, as it will cost me heehaw due to some funding I can tap into.

Hoping for more of the same, but with a bit of hassle charging perhaps.  Anybody gone for an EV and any advice, particularly on which charger to get installed?

No knowledge about EV's but a Toyota Yaris Hybrid is about the same price, which I'd prefer, especially living in the Highlands. If you think you might need charging you can just fill up with petrol instead of waiting around or calling RAC for a tow. Maybe your deal won't allow that though.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

No knowledge about EV's but a Toyota Yaris Hybrid is about the same price, which I'd prefer, especially living in the Highlands. If you think you might need charging you can just fill up with petrol instead of waiting around or calling RAC for a tow. Maybe your deal won't allow that though.

You're right enough, I only get the money for a zero emission fully electric car. Most of my journeys are 30 mile round trips for work, so an EV should work OK, provided I get a decent charger at home.

There's a couple of fast and rapid chargers at local train stations which I can use in the interim, but that will become a baw ache very quickly I'm sure.

12 hours ago, eddiemunster said:

You're right enough, I only get the money for a zero emission fully electric car. Most of my journeys are 30 mile round trips for work, so an EV should work OK, provided I get a decent charger at home.

There's a couple of fast and rapid chargers at local train stations which I can use in the interim, but that will become a baw ache very quickly I'm sure.

I thought you connected them to the car.

Are diesel drivers going to get shafted in the next few years?  Most of the cars i'm looking at come with petrol options but they all seem very underpowered for the amount of metal they've to haul about.

My wife got a new Honda CR-V to replace the one she had.  The old one had a 2.2 turbo diesel engine and it was rapid.  The new one has an updated 1.6 turbo diesel engine, which on paper delivers more power, but in reality delivers it in all the wrong places.  It's a pain in the arse to drive.

I want a car that breaks ~320hp without needing an engine rebuild, like my current heap of fucking shite. Dont want (can't afford) to spend more than £10k.

Needs to be one that can be a daily (five door) and doesn't require £1k spent on it every year maintaining it (evo), or have the ticking time bomb of a saft as shite engine (wrx sti).

Honestly, I've been looking at Mk3 Octavia VRS', enjoy the older version I have, and for £500 I could get it to ~330bhp. None under £10k yet, but should be within the year. Not sure whether to wait on them dropping or go for something else, but struggling to think of what else fits that bill.

Any ideas?