Car advice

Head is saying spend the full five grand on a newer ford focus for am easy life but part of me just wants something exciting and f**k an easy life.

I think I’m going to get a focus for around 6 or 7 k with a 1 thousand deposit when I get a tax rebate in April I think. I don’t really care about a cool car as I’m going to have a child and want a reliable and economic car.

21 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Looking into a getting a new car.  Has anyone had any experience of:

Nissan X-Trail

Skoda Kodiaq

Kia Sorento

You can't go too far wrong with any of those kind of things. Maybe check the Seat Ateca too as you can get some amazing deals from Seat and it's the same car as the Kodiaq. Also, you can get great savings on a nearly new Ford Kuga Titanium X. Every conceivable toy on it and really nice to drive. 

ETA.. there are still a few final edition Yetis kicking about too.

Edited by Shandon Par

2 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

You can't go too far wrong with any of those kind of things. Maybe check the Seat Ateca too as you can get some amazing deals from Seat and it's the same car as the Kodiaq. Also, you can get great savings on a nearly new Ford Kuga Titanium X. Every conceivable toy on it and really nice to drive. 

I'm looking at something with the option of 7 seats, as the weans are getting to the stage that we'll be shuttling their friends about once they get a bit bigger and start going to things and there's always the possibility that we may decide to have another one.  The three I mentioned all come with 7 seats either as standard or as an option.

I think the Ateca is more similar to the Karoq and the Sportage and Qashqui in size.

I'm currently leaning towards the X-Trail as I think it's the best looking.  Saw the Kodiaq up close at the weekend and I wasn't blown away, although the reviews seem to suggest it's the better car.  Going to go see a Sorento this week.

Just now, KnightswoodBear said:

I'm looking at something with the option of 7 seats, as the weans are getting to the stage that we'll be shuttling their friends about once they get a bit bigger and start going to things and there's always the possibility that we may decide to have another one.  The three I mentioned all come with 7 seats either as standard or as an option.

I think the Ateca is more similar to the Karoq and the Sportage and Qashqui in size.

I'm currently leaning towards the X-Trail as I think it's the best looking.  Saw the Kodiaq up close at the weekend and I wasn't blown away, although the reviews seem to suggest it's the better car.  Going to go see a Sorento this week.

The new Renault Grand Scenic is pretty funky and can come with 7 seats. Pretty space-age looking inside and out. 

2 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Again, it's in the same size range as the Sportage, Qashqui etc and only comes in 5 seat versions as far as I know

Aye ok, moneybags, just buy a fucking tank then.

7 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

My mate has one of them.  I do like it, but I fancy a 4x4 type rather than a van with windows.

How about an Abarth 595? One careful owner (and then me)?

A low miles, main dealer used Discovery? With a good warrant you’d be lording it up.

15 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Aye ok, moneybags, just buy a fucking tank then.

How rude.

14 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

How about an Abarth 595? One careful owner (and then me)?

A low miles, main dealer used Discovery? With a good warrant you’d be lording it up.

The Abarth:  Yes please, I am going to turn 40 next year and that seems like the ideal car for my impending mid life crisis.

Would I need to take a copper with me for the warrant for the Disco?

32 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I had a 7-seater VW Touran a few years ago, surprisingly big inside. 

3 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

How rude.

The Abarth:  Yes please, I am going to turn 40 next year and that seems like the ideal car for my impending mid life crisis.

Would I need to take a copper with me for the warrant for the Disco?

I've done the reverse midlife crisis and after countless wee/fast cars have bought something comfy and sensible. The Abarth is still stashed away for when it's needed (not sure how I wangled that one with the missus). 

There's the new Renault Koleos too - looks a bit like an XTrail. 

Is it just me or are modern car headlights now far brighter than they used to be? The amount of times I have been passing another vehicle recently or look in my rearview mirror and get half blinded is unreal. I don't recall ever having this problem before. 

Is it just me or are modern car headlights now far brighter than they used to be? The amount of times I have been passing another vehicle recently or look in my rearview mirror and get half blinded is unreal. I don't recall ever having this problem before. 

I agree, the LED headlights do seem a lot brighter. The rise in popularity of SUV style cars also plays in to this, as their headlights sit at the height of the windows on a smaller car.

2 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

The new Renault Grand Scenic is pretty funky and can come with 7 seats. Pretty space-age looking inside and out. 

2 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I would recommend a Kadjar (flame red obvs).

Its what all the cool dads drive these days.

Steer clear of Renaults unless you like feeling like you're stirring a bucket of bricks when changing gear, or if you like cars where the electrics go all fucked up at some point in the (very near) future.