Car advice

Just now, The_Kincardine said:

The only good(ish) story I have about Volvos and Aberdeenshire is getting a lift back to Banchory on a recovery truck after our V70 was battered on Queens Road and the driver of said recovery vehicle gave me £50 for the knackered 850 we had in the driveway - which saved me a trip to the tip.

Volvos (and I've had three) can cover a lot of miles but are maintenance-heavy.  If it wasn't a cam-belt problem then the suspension would likely have dropped the week after.

My advice as always is:  If you can, Lexus.   

My current car - The Kia Ceed is a decent option if you run into financial difficulties due to the break up of your marriage.   But it's absolutely a stop-gap.   I've promised myself a F-sport by next spring.   

Only then will I have fully recovered from my divorce.    

8 minutes ago, Pearbuyerbell said:

My advice as always is:  If you can, Lexus.   

My current car - The Kia Ceed is a decent option if you run into financial difficulties due to the break up of your marriage.   But it's absolutely a stop-gap.   I've promised myself a F-sport by next spring.   

Only then will I have fully recovered from my divorce.    

The Volvo V70/850 was the perfect family car.  Wife, 3 weans, the dug and granny in the Thule top-box.  Top-notch middle-class motoring.  My 'marriage break-up' car is an old Golf.

6 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I dream of having a Volvo. My dad had a V70 then an XC60, the latter is easily the best car I've driven. So so comfortable.

Dont get me wrong, it is a great car when working, I have had to replace the gearbox too, luckily that was picked up under Volvo warranty. I think its a lemon, I will get rid for an Audi or something after its fixed. 

1 hour ago, Cerberus said:

Sair yin.
I thought they made them all chains now not so they don't break.

45 minutes ago, Pearbuyerbell said:

A timing chain is an absolute must.    A decent brand like Volvo should be fitting chains.  

Chains aren't better than belts. 

1. Belts rarely break, its the pulleys that break free and drag the belt off with them, which is why you should always get tensioners/idlers replaced when replacing the timing belt.
  2. Its just as common for a chain guide (which is made of plastic (seems mad)) to break up, which slackens the chain and causes it skip teeth. Lack of oil changes can also cause chain problems, as a lot of their tensioners are oil pressurised (drop off in oil pressure = weak tensioner)
  3. Civic Type Rs/Minis/BMWs have a chain, and have massive problems with them.
  4. A timing belt kit, for a Audi engine, with everything renewed, is about half the price of a timing chain kit, with just the chain and tensioner, for a BMW the same age

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Chains aren't better than belts. 

1. Belts rarely break, its the pulleys that break free and drag the belt off with them, which is why you should always get tensioners/idlers replaced when replacing the timing belt.
  2. Its just as common for a chain guide (which is made of plastic (seems mad)) to break up, which slackens the chain and causes it skip teeth. Lack of oil changes can also cause chain problems, as a lot of their tensioners are oil pressurised (drop off in oil pressure = weak tensioner)
  3. Civic Type Rs/Minis/BMWs have a chain, and have massive problems with them.
  4. A timing belt kit, for a Audi engine, with everything renewed, is about half the price of a timing chain kit, with just the chain and tensioner, for a BMW the same age

What we need now is for you to provide evidence chain problems are as common as belts.    I asked my garage about chains and he said he'd never replaced one in 30 years of service, he'd replaced 1000's or belts.   Asian cars tend to have chains and are the most reliable in the world. 

That said; I'd sooner have a cam belt than a chain on a push bike.   

Just now, Pearbuyerbell said:

What we need now is for you to provide evidence chain problems are as common as belts.    I asked my garage about chains and he said he'd never replaced one in 30 years of service, he'd replaced 1000's or belts.   Asian cars tend to have chains and are the most reliable in the world. 

That said; I'd sooner have a cam belt than a chain on a push bike.   

How many of them belts have been broken?

Timing chains can claim to be a part which never needs replaced, whereas belts are generally every 70k/5 years. Proper maintenance should see the chain last a lifetime, dependent on the guides.

In the last seven years I've replaced far, far more belts than chains. Thing is I've replaced 10-15 chains which have stretched/guides broken (Type Rs/Mini/BMW/Corsa), and only one, maybe two, belts which have broken free. You listen to any older Mini/Corsa, and I'll guarantee that 7/10 have a rattling chain that gets ignored until the EML comes on.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Timing chains can claim to be a part which never needs replaced, whereas belts are generally every 70k/5 years. Proper maintenance should see the chain last a lifetime, dependent on the guides.

In the last seven years I've replaced far, far more belts than chains. Thing is I've replaced 10-15 chains which have stretched/guides broken (Type Rs/Mini/BMW/Corsa), and only one, maybe two, belts which have broken free. You listen to any older Mini/Corsa, and I'll guarantee that 7/10 have a rattling chain that gets ignored until the EML comes on.

Thanks. 

#camchaintillidie

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Are you a mechanic?

1 minute ago, Pearbuyerbell said:

A corsa or a BMW Mini must be about the worst choice you could make.   

Absolutely no ground work or self respect if buying either car.   

Yes, better to buy a Lexus and the rotten rear calipers which cost a few hundred each and need replaced every few years :rolleyes: Much like Hondas the VVT systems a bit cheap, yet costs a lot when it inevitably goes wrong..

Just now, johnnydun said:

Are you a mechanic?

Sadly I am yeah

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yes, better to buy a Lexus and the rotten rear calipers which cost a few hundred each and need replaced every few years :rolleyes: Much like Hondas the VVT systems a bit cheap, yet costs a lot when it inevitably goes wrong..

Sadly I am yeah

So, if you dont mind having a think, what should I be looking to be quoted for a cylinder head replacement on a 60 plate D3 XC60 including labour? Think he might be trying to rip me off, I have said if its cheaper getting a reconditioned then do that. 

He put a new alternator belt on and the engine was turning, although rough. He said the cam shaft has come out the head. Would it still turn with this issue?

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Sadly I am yeah

Are you suggesting to P & B that a 1.0 Corsa or the 1.6 Mini cooper is a better purchase than a F-Sport :lol:

How many Lexus have you worked on? 

Just now, johnnydun said:

So, if you dont mind having a think, what should I be looking to be quoted for a cylinder head replacement on a 60 plate D3 XC60 including labour? Think he might be trying to rip me off, I have said if its cheaper getting a reconditioned then do that. 

He put a new alternator belt on and the engine was turning, although rough. He said the cam shaft has come out the head. Would it still turn with this issue?

I honestly don't know what price that would be, its not a common job. Have done 75% of that job on a Volvo, and it does take a hell of a long time to get in about those engines though, so imagine the labour would be pretty big. We usually just get heads reconditioned instead of buying new ones or second hand ones, but it can be dependent on exactly whats happened to them.

It sounds like the Alternator belt has broken/come off, been sucked in behind the Crankshaft pulley and jammed it up, which has caused the timing to go out, and your valves to hit the pistons. The engine would turn if they're bent enough, but it wouldnt run. The "rough" feeling would be it pressing against the bent valves, probably feels like the engines about to lock up but just puses by the "tight spot".

Its not uncommon on Volvos, sadly. Never seen it with a new belt tbh, but if it was faulty workmanship then it wouldve shown before now, unless you've only done ten miles?

And the Camshaft wont have come out the head, its stronger than the valves which would break/bend before the Cams broke (unless something far more serious occurred). The cams will have to be removed to sort it though.

10 minutes ago, Pearbuyerbell said:

Are you suggesting to P & B that a 1.0 Corsa or the 1.6 Mini cooper is a better purchase than a F-Sport :lol:

How many Lexus have you worked on? 

No, Im saying a Lexus has just as many faults as any other car. If you want I can list every bad point of every car in existence though? 

For instance a £500 Skoda Fabia is likely to drive further without faults than a £80k Ferrari..

And theres four people who come into our garage with Lexus' every year, some saloons and one 2003 FX monstrosity. Last one was for a wheel bearing.