Average Speed Cameras on the A9 - stop gap until duelled

A traffic cop told me that they park the vans on straight sections before accident hot spots to get vehicles to slow down and think about their speed before they reach them.

Ok I get that. But on that section you still have a mile to the Keir and you are coming at the layby on a bend with decent. I have seen plenty pass me at speed only to slam the brakes on when they spot the van in the layby.

Get it dualled as soon as possible.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't been on it since they've been made live, but my business has a haulage department and every driver we've sent down has said the road seems far more dangerous now, with drivers making desperate attempts to over-take, but too afraid to do so with any speed. Idiots are trying to overtake lorries but won't go over 60 to do so. My guys are seeing near misses all the time. Every salesman and plant dealers that have come up to see me have given similar reviews. Average speed cameras are a disaster, a higher police presence would have been far safer and far more effective.

Also, for those of you criticising HGV drivers for not pulling in at layby's etc. or for trunk racing (yes, I hate this one too), bear in mind that due to EU Driver's Hours etc a slight delay on a long day could result in an extra 45 minute break, or possibly the driver not getting home at all. That's more than enough motivation for an HGV driver to think only of himself and just horse on as much as he can.

• 2 months later...

You know that moment you know you're being blatantly lied to? I got it yesterday when the authorities announced their scheme had been a huge success and high fived each other. They were never going to admit it was a waste of time but they did slip in that "average journey times had increased by 15 minutes". Where the f**k did they get that figure? My company sends a van up that road twice a week. The vans have trackers so it's easy to look at journey times. Compared with the same period last year, it takes between 40-50 minutes longer. They're lying to us.

You know that moment you know you're being blatantly lied to? I got it yesterday when the authorities announced their scheme had been a huge success and high fived each other. They were never going to admit it was a waste of time but they did slip in that "average journey times had increased by 15 minutes". Where the f**k did they get that figure? My company sends a van up that road twice a week. The vans have trackers so it's easy to look at journey times. Compared with the same period last year, it takes between 40-50 minutes longer. They're lying to us.

Journey times for HGV's have dropped by up to half an hour at some times in the day due to the increase in speed limit and I'm sure this has a reasonable effect on all the traffic.

Would an unscrupulous politician use that to help massage the over-all figures back down and then attribute the whole thing just to the average speed cameras? Nah, surely not...

Edit: Of course, the devil is in the detail of what they mean by average. Average hourly would be significantly better looking figures than average/vehicle.

Guest The Phoenix

I haven't used my claw hammer in a while, so less I'd say.

Just doing my bit.

I thought you could kill a woman with one look?

Too early to tell how it's doing imo. Traffic and weather affect journey times from day to day, and hour to hour anyway. I doubt it will make much difference in the long run, hopefully a few less accidents with people realising they need more space to overtake and don't try to squeeze past at ninety. Danny Alexander's been successfully hyping it up in a desperate populist move to hang on to his seat. Much ado about not very much.

On average are more or less people dead?

More.

Approx. 150,000 people die on earth every day, so the number of people who are dead increases by approx 150,000 each day.

Vague definitions can help you massage any figure.

Guest The Phoenix

More.

Approx. 150,000 people die on earth every day, so the number of people who are dead increases by approx 150,000 each day.

Vague definitions can help you massage any figure.

TBF the majority will be on the A9 in China.

Too early to tell how it's doing imo. Traffic and weather affect journey times from day to day, and hour to hour anyway. I doubt it will make much difference in the long run, hopefully a few less accidents with people realising they need more space to overtake and don't try to squeeze past at ninety. Danny Alexander's been successfully hyping it up in a desperate populist move to hang on to his seat. Much ado about not very much.

Indeed.

Pathetic that in these life or death situations the Danny Alexanders of this world can only think of this in terms of political point scoring.

Archived