Average Speed Cameras on the A9 - stop gap until duelled

It's like talking to a plate of mince.

I fail to see the relevance. Are you saying it fine to break the law so long as you are overtaking certain vehicles or is it that freight shouldn't be shifted to rail. Your response doesn't really give many clues.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a Hgv driver who occasional uses this road with the main problem being the 40mph speed limit for me but even if it was increased to 50mph I still think it wouldn't be fast enough for some drivers !

Sent from my HTC Desire using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Assuming you stick to that 40mph limit, how often do you pull into a lay-by to allow the inevitable convoy of traffic behind you get past?

This seems like an example of the Scottish Government wanting to look as if they're doing 'something' regardless of how effective or ineffective that 'something' is.

Spot on, Granny.... You're not as daft as you look.

The main problem with the A9 is frustration on single carriage way stretches, leading to dangerous driving and accidents.

Can't see these cameras reducing the death toll significantly although if the money raised could go back toward improving the road it would be something, but it goes straight to Westminster, never to be seen again.

Pretty much on the money.

Instead of investing in a rail system to take the freight they will gain money through taxation. They don't give a toss re safety, as already stated, it will be 40-90-40-80-40-90. All the way.

And re dualling....I'm against that. More coonts will make the journey if easy, and we are full.

Assuming you stick to that 40mph limit, how often do you pull into a lay-by to allow the inevitable convoy of traffic behind you get past?

If the roads quiet yeah I would pull over but if its busy no chance. Because no car will ever let you back out and its bloody dangerous n very slow trying to get back up to 40mph from zero, this could cause more accidents from speeding cars who come bombing along only to have me slowly pulling out !

I'm liking the logic here, where some think that breaking the law is acceptable so long as it saves them time.

The number of lorries certainly needs to be cut and the rail network used more, granted it would only resolve the main routes, for example there isn't a train station in, for example, Beauly, so lorries would need to pick up from a central point (say Inverness) and then transport it from there to Beauly.

Did it close again? http://www.railwaystation.co.uk/?station=BEL

It's like talking to a plate of mince.

At least there's some chance of brains in a plate of mince.

Did it close again? http://www.railwaystation.co.uk/?station=BEL

At least there's some chance of brains in a plate of mince.

Yeah, it's gone again. Drove past it a couple of weeks past and it's like it never existed.

I'm normally pro-speed camera, but this won't help much unless they just do it for the length of dual carriageways, and even then that might lead to people risking staying out at the end of the dual bit as they couldn't get past something in time. It's actually pretty rare that I see someone breaking the speed limit and doing something very stupid because it's pretty rare I get to the speed limit. Dangerous stuff is usually at much lower speed as they try to get past a HGV or caravan where they shouldn't be risking it.

As the A9 exists and the way the traffic flows only a complete dickhead is going to get done using the average speed cameras during the day, at night however...

What a stupid idea, and a massive waste of money. Unless they restrict trucks to the middle of the night or up their speed limit, this is completely pointless. You see about one close call every time you drive up that road, and it's usually an Audi overtaking a tesco truck stuck at 40 near aviemore. This won't change that.

Has anyone spotted any petitions against this? I'm sure it would get reasonable backing in the highlands.

Oops, sorry!

I actually chose it at random, I was going through my mind all the towns close to Inverness that I didn't think had a station. I've been through Beauly loads of times and can't think of actually where the station is. I've checked the map and I see it's hidden on a side road on the Southerly edge of the town.

Anyway, it's not really relevant to the point being made though, which was if we shifted freight to the rails, where there is capacity, then you would still have an issue at the main distribution nodes to the satellite towns.

I still think that rail should be a more viable option.

Oops, sorry!

I actually chose it at random, I was going through my mind all the towns close to Inverness that I didn't think had a station. I've been through Beauly loads of times and can't think of actually where the station is. I've checked the map and I see it's hidden on a side road on the Southerly edge of the town.

Anyway, it's not really relevant to the point being made though, which was if we shifted freight to the rails, where there is capacity, then you would still have an issue at the main distribution nodes to the satellite towns.

I still think that rail should be a more viable option.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/rail-line-upgrade-is-essential-to-reduce-hgv-transport-on-a9-x.21724588

Expensive though.

Yeah, and without the figures available to me I can't say the reason for that expense. If it was more common or if larger companies were to shift to it, would it mean the prices dropped?

There is also the argument that convenience and expense don't necessarily go hand in hand with ecologically better.

I'm liking the logic here, where some think that breaking the law is acceptable so long as it saves them time.

Not all laws are right though. Just because its a law doesnt make it automatically right.

Some people smoke hash for example, and thats against the law. Doesnt change the fact that hash causes less hassle in society than alcohol which is legal ;)

For me its not about being lawful, it should be about the safety of road users. Average Speed cameras in this area wont make much difference as far as Im concerned.

You get stuck behind so many slow moving vehicles that once you are able to speed (including black spot areas) you can without taking your average over the limit.

Actual Speed cameras at back spots do help but he only real way to solve it is to make it dual carrage all the way. (Id imagine that would be expensive though)

A new online campaign is promoting a 20-point plan that its organisers say will make the A9 road safer.

Called the Real A9 Users, it wants new speed limits and more barriers.

It also calls for an end to "elephant racing" - drivers of slow moving vehicles overtaking similar traffic on short stretches of dual carriageway.

"All A9 users get frustrated and accidents are caused primarily by the current poor maintenance, fatigue, lack of overtaking opportunities, risky overtaking, slow moving vehicles, constant roadworks and general lack of significant, marked police patrols.

"Average speed cameras do nothing to address this and will simply slow down the A9."

Other measures called for in the 20-point plan include barriers to stop overtaking at the end of dual lanes and signs showing journey times.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-23547217

Agree with most of that but I'm not sure how they'll stop slow lorries overtaking each other.

Archived