Average Speed Cameras on the A9 - stop gap until duelled

Guest The Phoenix

Can we not put the money towards duelling it a bit faster?

I doubt the top speed of one of these would be up for that challenge...

101_0084.jpg

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the "profits" from speed cameras do go to Westminster, was this not the debate down South that certain police forces used them to generate cash for themselves?

You are right about single carriageway roads, but the British are ridiculously impatient drivers.

Absolute disaster. I will now avoid the A9 at all times, as it will be a nightmare to drive on and will now be in effect more dangerous. When visiting family in the Western Isles it will be the plane from now on.

The A9 has been a nightmare since they made the HGV's do 40mph, now all you get is a stampede of folk trying to pass them at every straight stretch of road

I am confused however, why on earth would you use the A9 to visit the Western Isles?

I don't think the "profits" from speed cameras do go to Westminster, was this not the debate down South that certain police forces used them to generate cash for themselves?

You are right about single carriageway roads, but the British are ridiculously impatient drivers.

Im sure the revenue goes to the treasury in London but maybe someone could clarify? I read about changes in funding with the safety camera partnerships somewhere but I thought that eliminated them being self funding and instead they received a grant and all revenue goes to Westminster.

Yip, we're impatient alright but for Scotland to have places the size of Aberdeen and Inverness served with single carriageway roads is pretty disgraceful given the death tolls every year, and seeing money spunked on things like HS2 and trident takes the piss for me.

The most effective way of reducing deaths is to stop people driving and taking cars of the road.

:lol:

That's like Baldrick's solution of cutting off his mother's head to get rid of her low ceiling problem.

How else should I drive from Greengairs to Ullapool?

Aye ok, that's a fair treck, give yourself extra time & take the A82 a glorious drive, or over the Skye bridge & island hop on the ferries.

Tbh I was thinking more of the inner than outer Hebrides when you said western isles, my bad ;)

Average speed cameras are fine it's the nuggets who don't give a shit about other road users that are the problem.

Automatic cameras that could pick up on poor/dangerous driving would be worth it's weight in gold.

Meh. Use the drones coming back from Afghanistan to fly up and down the A9. They can take pictures and issue tickets to speeders, tailgaters and dangerous drivers.

They can use their Hellfire missiles on p***ks in Audis.

Average speed cameras are only of use when drivers are actually able to go at the speed limit, and occasionally above it.

Given that most of us on the A9 are forced to do around 40mph for long stretches behind some tosser towing a caravan or something, no one will be caught going above average speed.

Go back and try again.

Average speed cameras are only of use when drivers are actually able to go at the speed limit, and occasionally above it.

Given that most of us on the A9 are forced to do around 40mph for long stretches behind some tosser towing a caravan or something, no one will be caught going above average speed.

Go back and try again.

That's a good point. You're no doubt going to get stuck behind HGV's doing 40mph for long spells if you're using the road during the day when it's busy, with drivers doing 80/90mph at parts where the traffic is clear and therefore still be under the average speed.

I'm liking the logic here, where some think that breaking the law is acceptable so long as it saves them time.

The number of lorries certainly needs to be cut and the rail network used more, granted it would only resolve the main routes, for example there isn't a train station in, for example, Beauly, so lorries would need to pick up from a central point (say Inverness) and then transport it from there to Beauly.

I'm liking the logic here, where some think that breaking the law is acceptable so long as it saves them time.

The number of lorries certainly needs to be cut and the rail network used more, granted it would only resolve the main routes, for example there isn't a train station in, for example, Beauly, so lorries would need to pick up from a central point (say Inverness) and then transport it from there to Beauly.

It's like talking to a plate of mince.

Archived