The Star Wars thread (includes spoilers for IX)

Quentin Taranbino

1 hour ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Jaja (however you spell his fucking name) binks means that TPM should be bottom of everyones list

Utter tw@t of a thing.  

I was told before I started watching the Clone Wars he was tad more likeable in it but the floppy eared git ruined any episode he was in which thankfully wasn't all that many.

14 hours ago, Sir Peh McBridie said:

Utter tw@t of a thing.  

I was told before I started watching the Clone Wars he was tad more likeable in it but the floppy eared git ruined any episode he was in which thankfully wasn't all that many.

Yeah was good not seeing him, some of the best episodes were ones focused on the clones, the episode "landing at point rain" is one of the best episodes of the whole 6 series, also the general krell (i think that was his name, the jedi turned traitor) arc was superb too

36 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

So this Kenobi film? Will it actually happen? I hope they copy the animated series plot for Obi-Wan.

I'd love the see it as Ewan McGregor was actually very good as a young Obi-Wan but I do wonder what they could actually do with a solo film.

He's meant to be secretly protecting Luke on Tatooine. Not like he can zip out his saber and go nuts. (Which every fan would want to see) as he's meant to be incognito and not draw the Empire anywhere near Luke.

Aye a solo Kenobi film would be a dull, creepy affair as we see years of old Ben watching Luke help out on the farm, bullseye the occasional womp rat and every now and then nip out to Tosche Station for some power convertors.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2018/01/18 at 22:08, DA Baracus said:

Aye a solo Kenobi film would be a dull, creepy affair as we see years of old Ben watching Luke help out on the farm, bullseye the occasional womp rat and every now and then nip out to Tosche Station for some power convertors.

Guess they could tie up a few loose ends by using it as a way to explain who Snoke was with old Ben managing to drive him away somehow when he was trying to influence a young and impressionable Luke. Suspect it will be quietly forgotten about though, if the Solo one doesn't do well.

My overall impression of The Last Jedi was "meh".  Ripping up fan expectations seemed to be the first and only priority as there wasn't really much story or character development. Many things irked me:

• The low-speed chase lacked any tension or excitement whatsoever. It felt more like an episode of Star Trek/Gate.
  • Poe, Finn and Rose didn't achieve anything and might as well not have been there. 
  • Rey's ability to master the Force with minimal to zero training just doesn't fit with the insistence that she's not of any special origin. For me this is a huge red flashing beacon that says "This is not Star Wars".
  • Why does she go from hating Kylo's guts in one vision to being his best bud in the next?
  • Why build up the mystery of her parentage when the only possible answers (nobody special or some famous character) are equally unsatisfying?
  • Why write a new story at all when the Thrawn series already exists?
  • Since when can Force ghosts interact with the physical world?
  • The lightspeed torpedo technique was cool but why has it never been seen before? And why did Laura Dern have to sacrifice herself to do it? Can't droids or computers pilot a ship?
  • Why does Rose stop Finn from sacrificing himself to save the rebel base? Surely rule one of signing up for a rebellion is to accept that you or someone you love may have to die for the cause.
  • Kylo may be conflicted but we have no idea what his motivations are other than wanting power and to emulate his granddad. Doesn't he know Vader turned?
  • What story there was hasn't moved forward at all. Ironically though, at the same time it feels as if there isn't really anything left to resolve in episode 9. All the interesting questions have been shot down. The original main characters are all dead. The new ones aren't interesting. Presumably Rey and Kylo will fight, and Rey will win. Presumably Kylo won't be redeemed as then there would be no bad guys left except the laughable General Huxley Pig.