The Star Wars thread (includes spoilers for IX)

Quentin Taranbino

15 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

How did Rey actually fail atall?

She basically got ragdolled by snoke and had the light sabre bounce off her head and then wasn't able to beat Kylo on claiming the light sabre so it was destroyed? It was slightly more reasonable from that standpoint this time.

On 11/01/2018 at 14:14, LongTimeLurker said:

She basically got ragdolled by snoke and had the light sabre bounce off her head and then wasn't able to beat Kylo on claiming the light sabre so it was destroyed? It was slightly more reasonable from that standpoint this time.

Thats not quite getting the shit kicked out of you and getting a hand chopped off though, is it? 

She wasnt able to beat Kylo but he couldnt beat her either. It tore the sabre in half as they are somehow equally as powerful. 

I could have ran with that stuff tbh if there weren't so many plot holes and they didnt shit on Luke Skywalker. 

2 hours ago, NotThePars said:

They didn’t shit on Skywalker at all. I thought he was well written and acted the part perfectly as the failed Jedi Master who redeemed himself in the end.

The Luke Skywalker who handed himself into the Empire to redeem the 2nd most evil person who worked for the most evil person in the Galaxy who overseen the death of hundreds of Jedi and killed kids.

That Luke Skywalker who in this film sensed his twin sister (with force powers too, remember) and his best mates kid was turned by random guy Snoke and decided to kill him in his sleep? Without trying to redeem him?

Mark Hamill was very good and I agree with the dozens of interviews where he said he didnt agree with anything they did with his character.

Wasnt for me. 

The Luke Skywalker who handed himself into the Empire to redeem the 2nd most evil person who worked for the most evil person in the Galaxy who overseen the death of hundreds of Jedi and killed kids.
That Luke Skywalker who in this film sensed his twin sister (with force powers too, remember) and his best mates kid was turned by random guy Snoke and decided to kill him in his sleep? Without trying to redeem him?
Mark Hamill was very good and I agree with the dozens of interviews where he said he didnt agree with anything they did with his character.
Wasnt for me. 

You must’ve turned off the movie halfway through guy if that’s how you thought the Luke/ Ben arc went. Also Hamill came out fairly recently and clarified his comments on his character direction.

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

You must’ve turned off the movie halfway through guy if that’s how you thought the Luke/ Ben arc went. Also Hamill came out fairly recently and clarified his comments on his character direction.

Ok. Nothing to do with Disney bitch slapping him.

Disney had a problem moving into this trilogy. Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher could no longer act at a level that was attracting leading roles in other films and Harrison Ford who can didn't really want to do it and was only willing to do what amounted to a cameo role before his charcater got killed off once and for all. Think when you bear that backdrop in mind the way they have handled it makes sense, i.e. Carrie Fisher's character in a coma for most of one film with Laura Dern shoehorned in as a new character to deliver most of her lines, and Mark Hamill appearing for a few seconds in one and being himself as a bitter old hasbeen in the other.  By all accounts the Han Solo prequel film could bomb as the actor hired for the main character can't do the role properly in a Hayden Christiansen I don't like sand sort of way. Much the same could have happend with TLJ if Luke Skywalker was still at the top of his game in the script.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

So far for me it's - 

The Empire Strikes Back (by some distance)

Star Wars 

Return of the Jedi 

Rogue One

The Force Awakens

The Last Jedi

Revenge of the Sith

Attack of the Clones/The Phantom Menace

Can't separate the last two - AOTC has some decent lightsabre stuff near the end but crammed full of crap dialogue. TPM - says a lot that they killed off the two best things in it. TLJ may improve once I've seen it a few more times on DVD, but it's still superior to any of Lucas's prequels. 

1 hour ago, AyrshireTon said:

So far for me it's - 

The Empire Strikes Back (by some distance)

Star Wars 

Return of the Jedi 

Rogue One

The Force Awakens

The Last Jedi

Revenge of the Sith

Attack of the Clones/The Phantom Menace

Can't separate the last two - AOTC has some decent lightsabre stuff near the end but crammed full of crap dialogue. TPM - says a lot that they killed off the two best things in it. TLJ may improve once I've seen it a few more times on DVD, but it's still superior to any of Lucas's prequels. 

i honestly dont rate RotJ at all compared to others, i think its utter guff, the ewoks taking down stormtroopers with fucking small rocks is as laughable as leia in the last jedi, id have rogue 1 first then ESB then ANH then TFA then pretty much the rest are jobbers to fill out the list

ROTJ has faults but the stuff with Luke, Vader and the Emperor is immense.

The Phantom Menace is also clearly the best of the prequels. Of course its shit but it has a couple of decent things, mainly Qui Gonn (easily the best thing about the prequels) and Darth Maul. The lightsaber battles are pretty good too. It also has the least annoying version of Anakin and his maw was a decent character.

5 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

ROTJ has faults but the stuff with Luke, Vader and the Emperor is immense.

The Phantom Menace is also clearly the best of the prequels. Of course its shit but it has a couple of decent things, mainly Qui Gonn (easily the best thing about the prequels) and Darth Maul. The lightsaber battles are pretty good too. It also has the least annoying version of Anakin and his maw was a decent character.

I only liked TPM because it gave us the astounding "duel of the fates" piece lol

I only liked TPM because it gave us the astounding "duel of the fates" piece lol

Which is probably the best lightsaber battle in the whole of the 8 films so far, it’s brilliant.

I'll chime in with my best to worst too:

Empire Strikes Back

Rogue One (i thought it was fantastic)

A New Hope

Return of the Jedi

The Force Awakens

Revenge of the Sith

The Last Jedi

Phantom Menace

Attack of the Clones