Manic Street Preachers

AirdrieGuy

I’ve seen the manics more than any other band, 7 times all told in 3 countries including my first proper gig. My heart sank when I seen them plastered on all the local bus advertisements so not too surprised it didn’t sell out, felt a duty to go but a half full Newcastle arena has zero appeal. On the flip side I heard a bit of nickys solo stuff for the first time the other day and was pleasantly surprised by  it. Made  right decision to stay away based on set list as I’ve not really listened to them since this is my truth and I’ve not listened to that since it came out.

1 hour ago, Latino Lover said:

I’ve seen the manics more than any other band, 7 times all told in 3 countries including my first proper gig. My heart sank when I seen them plastered on all the local bus advertisements so not too surprised it didn’t sell out, felt a duty to go but a half full Newcastle arena has zero appeal. On the flip side I heard a bit of nickys solo stuff for the first time the other day and was pleasantly surprised by  it. Made  right decision to stay away based on set list as I’ve not really listened to them since this is my truth and I’ve not listened to that since it came out.

I have seen the Manics twice in the Hydro and twice in the Barrowlands and they suit the smaller venue more. Both of the Barrowland gigs I went to were absolutely mental. Something is lost in the bigger venues.

The best I've seen them is at the SECC on the Forever Delayed tour. But that was a packed big venue. Definitely loses something when you can't fill much of it, which is why I didn't want to go to this one. That said, the EMG show was fucking great, especially in the second half. The standing WAS sold out for that though.

1 hour ago, Mayor Wilkins III said:

The best I've seen them is at the SECC on the Forever Delayed tour. But that was a packed big venue. Definitely loses something when you can't fill much of it, which is why I didn't want to go to this one. That said, the EMG show was fucking great, especially in the second half. The standing WAS sold out for that though.

The EMG show was ten times better than last night.

3 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

I have seen the Manics twice in the Hydro and twice in the Barrowlands and they suit the smaller venue more. Both of the Barrowland gigs I went to were absolutely mental. Something is lost in the bigger venues.

Aye I went up to the barrowlands tor the holy bible tour, was great, went to Manchester same week.

21 hours ago, Latino Lover said:

Aye I went up to the barrowlands tor the holy bible tour, was great, went to Manchester same week.

I missed out on the HB tour because the Barrowlands sold out in under a minute and tickets subsequently reappeared on touting sites for extortionate prices. I deliberately have never watched any footage from that tour as I know that would have made me even more raging to have missed it.

On 26/04/2018 at 16:19, RiG said:

A good but not great set last night. Whilst the classics like Motorcycle Emptiness, A Design for Life, You Love Us and You Stole The Sun were great to hear, the new tracks and other tunes that made up the show, whilst performed perfectly fine, just seemed a bit flat.

I never thought I'd hear any tracks from Know Your Enemy again so I was stunned when two were whipped out last night. 4ever Delayed, Slash & Burn and Masses Against The Classes were enjoyable "rarities" but the rest of the show was just lacking any real oomph. Can't imagine many of their new songs featuring in any future tours.

International Blue and Hold me like a Heaven I think will end up being the two from this that end up on steady rotation through their set lists.  Given the sheer volume of back catalogue they have, that's probably decent going for an album.

• 5 months later...
On 10/22/2018 at 11:46, Friedrich Nietzsche said:

Ordered already, mainly for the pre-sale tbh.

My pal got a ticket for me in the pre sale. £46! Oh ya fucker.

Edited by RiG

• 1 year later...

I've got tickets for their Cardiff gig in December. Whether it will go ahead is another matter.

In the meantime I did a MSP song bracket. Already got some heat on Twitter for some selections but if you are bored feel free to have a bash at your own version :) 

EX7QD7vWkAELdS3.thumb.jpg.b3159c460baa6cf5047775964a21c217.jpg

h8zpt58prkm01.jpg

Saw them on the Generation Terrorists tour at Fat Sams in 1992. If someone had said to me that night that they would go on to be one of the biggest bands in the country I would have laughed in their face. They were hugely entertaining but it was more a case of laughing at them, not with them. Fair play to them though. They knew people were laughing at them and they didn't give a f**k. 

Saw them at the Garage in 92 also and loved them and still do to this day! JDB is a great guitarist and remember when I realised that Richey couldn't actually play and that James was doing everything on stage and also in the studio!
Lost count of the times I've seen the band live but I'm glad that I saw them then at their 'punkiest' - great times!! [emoji4]

I fucking love them. Didn't start listening to them until the mid to late 90s (EMG and TIMTTMY). First saw them live at the Barras in 2001 I think after the release of Know Your Enemy. Some awful, awful tracks on there. 

On 14/05/2020 at 09:22, RiG said:

I've got tickets for their Cardiff gig in December. Whether it will go ahead is another matter.

In the meantime I did a MSP song bracket. Already got some heat on Twitter for some selections but if you are bored feel free to have a bash at your own version :) 

EX7QD7vWkAELdS3.thumb.jpg.b3159c460baa6cf5047775964a21c217.jpg

h8zpt58prkm01.jpg

If You Tolerate This beating Yes and Roses In The Hospital is an absolute travesty!

It must have been park the bus then win on penalties. 

On 26/04/2018 at 21:47, Richey Edwards said:

I can only comment on seeing them in a big ‘venue’ as the only time I’ve seen the Manics was supporting Oasis at Loch Lomond back in the day. Think they were only on for around an hour and were brilliant. They were on the ‘Everything Must Go’ album/tour cycle at that time so the setlist featured a few songs from that album and the big venue suited rock songs like EMG, Australia, Kevin Carter and a big anthem like Design For Life.

Edited by 8MileBU

I adore La Tristesse Durera but that was a tough one. That gig is amazing. I had it on VHS and knew where all the songs started :lol: Much easier with a DVD of course.