Orange Walk / Scottish Cricket thread

~~~

44 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Watched that recently on youtube to see what the fuss was all about and thought it was nothing special. Gives the sort of people from Scotland that are likely to be interested in watching something like that what they want to see in an times highly stereotypical sort of way rather than providing anything truly thought provoking. Football, Faith and Flutes which I also watched courtesy of youtube as I had better things to do with my time when these programmes originally aired is much better as it lets people from that background and their mirror image on the green and gold side of things express themselves rather than putting words in their mouth and that provides a much clearer picture of their world view and motivation.

Billy Connolly's first acting part. Thought it wasn't that bad acting wise compared to some of the cringe worthy stuff back then on local TV.

48 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Watched that recently on youtube to see what the fuss was all about and thought it was nothing special. Gives the sort of people from Scotland that are likely to be interested in watching something like that what they want to see in an times highly stereotypical sort of way rather than providing anything truly thought provoking. Football, Faith and Flutes which I also watched courtesy of youtube as I had better things to do with my time when these programmes originally aired is much better as it lets people from that background and their mirror image on the green and gold side of things express themselves rather than putting words in their mouth and that provides a much clearer picture of their world view and motivation.

There was a better BBC Scotland news documentary from the early 1970s. Most of the locals seem to have been ex gang members.

Calton Tongs ya bass.........

4 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

There was a better BBC Scotland news documentary from the early 1970s. Most of the locals seem to have been ex gang members.

Calton Tongs ya bass.........

Vaguely remember seeing something like that a long time ago, which was in black and white.

Are you allowed to wade into an orange walk if you're holding a cricket bat?

It's not specifically outlawed but as it would almost certainly involve leaving your crease it's a risky tactic.

If the parades commission are sending marches through silly point then you might manage

Scottish Orange walks are a side show compared to a band parade i came across in Larne years back. My understanding up till then meant a couple or three or four flute bands. No big deal. Might even brighten the Wee 6 version of Airdrie on Sea. Pick a corner spot and watch the bands go by. Did wonder at the numbers that turned up to watch that Friday night, try a hundred and multiple it by 50. Bit much for a couple of marching bands says me. I'll not exaggerate it if i said 70/80/90 bands where there. It started at 7 pm and they were still banging drums at 11.30 pm. This wasn't a wee Friday night practice parade, this was, we run this town and don't effin forget it. I knew then why local football doesn't get a serious crowd, everybody gets a bigger buzz out of walking the walk in Hicksville Norn Iron style.

Taken from 'Skagboys', this sums things up rather well:

"Upset my hairy ersehole. It's this shite that upsets me. The proddies and the papes; the lowlife rump ay losers, distilled far the dregs ay European Christendom's two most blood-simple white tribes. Sneering, rabid vermin who intuitively know they're at the bottom ay the trash pile at the scabbiest end ay a bunch of frozen rocks in the North Sea. Aw they can dae is think ay whae tae scapegoat for thair shabby plight, and when the monster that was ma brother came along, it was a (Christian) God-sent opportunity fir them. The fact escaped them that Wee Davie was probably the nadir that only those sectarian spastics could ever have produced, because whatever pigeon-shit colours they drape aroond their slopin shoodirs, or the crappy one-note ballads of loyalty or rebellion they sing, they're aw cut fae the same manky cloth ay noxious idiocy."

Edited by DA Baracus

I had to hit Mono for a pint while on route to the barras as the big march was going through trongate and wasn't allowed to pass.

I don't believe in banning the marches but feel they get far far too much protection. If a counter march arrived they'd be shifted off rapid. I should be allowed should I wish.

Taken from 'Skagboys', this sums things up rather well:
"Upset my hairy ersehole. It's this shite that upsets me. The proddies and the papes; the lowlife rump ay losers, distilled far the dregs ay European Christendom's two most blood-simple white tribes. Sneering, rabid vermin who intuitively know they're at the bottom ay the trash pile at the scabbiest end ay a bunch of frozen rocks in the North Sea. Aw they can dae is think ay whae tae scapegoat for thair shabby plight, and when the monster that was ma brother came along, it was a (Christian) God-sent opportunity fir them. The fact escaped them that Wee Davie was probably the nadir that only those sectarian spastics could ever have produced, because whatever pigeon-shit colours they drape aroond their slopin shoodirs, or the crappy one-note ballads of loyalty or rebellion they sing, they're aw cut fae the same manky cloth ay noxious idiocy."

Uncharacteristically long diatribe

Oor wullie is usually more concise and to the point

18 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Can't stand that little shitehole across the water.

Sadly some people with the same mindset and politics on these shores.

Fucking arseholes.

Not all yes voters are bad to be fair 

Edited by Forever_blueco

Went to the Stirling - Motherwell friendly and stopped off in Glasgow for an hour or so on the way.

Roaster level was through the roof. 

It'd be funny if I wasn't squirming like f**k looking at raddled, gleakit looking, monobrowed tragi-peasants in Union Jack suits 'complimented' with orange 'No Surrender' baseball caps.

Edited by Ya Bezzer!