Orange Walk / Scottish Cricket thread

~~~

28 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

Guess getting shot of Pedro must be top of the agenda.

Btw, do Orangemen all support The Rangers or do you get "Nae time for awe that nonsense" cross community ones?

The only Orangeman I know is a Jambo workmate. Used to be a regular and play in the band and so on. He's a decent chap tbqh and rarely talks about it, although I get the feeling he's not really into it anymore. He despises Celtic more than Hibs, make of that what you will.

7 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Iain Wilson was deffo a Jambo- grand master back in about 2007.

Was it as late as that?  I remember chatting to him a couple of times at County meetings.  Very sensible bloke and a real credit.

why burn an Irish national flag,who is the woman/doll like figure?

DEe_j4qW0AIX11U.jpg

Could be totally wrong here, but with the flags and the three letters on top of the pile, I'd guess the blonde woman is meant to represent Michelle O'Neill from Sinn Fein.

1 hour ago, Glenconner said:

Guess getting shot of Pedro must be top of the agenda.

Btw, do Orangemen all support The Rangers or do you get "Nae time for awe that nonsense" cross community ones?

A friend of my uncle is/was an Orangeman and a Thistle season ticket holder.

13 minutes ago, mjw said:

All those Airdrie,Motherwell,thistle orange men will still be all the ****** b*****ds of the day when their team plays Rangers.
Must be a sair yin for them.

I remember hearing a story about how an ex Celtic 'casual', who was now an Airdrie 'casual', would think nothing of cheering for Celtic whenever watching them in a Lodge out Airdrie way.

2 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Initials of this man? Doesn't ring a bell.

Couldn't tell you initials, I heard from a guy who drank in the same pub as myself who was/fancied himself/claimed to be CSC around about the early 2000's when there was somewhat of a resurgence of casuals.  He claimed to know some Section B who apparently told him the story.

3 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

My knowledge is more than a generation old but, in my day, in LOL 328 in Motherwell, a fair few weren't that interested in football.  Of those that were, most supported Motherwell.  We had a couple of Airdrie fans and Accies supporter.  We also had a few 'nominal' Sevconians.  Only me and and 2 others would actively follow follow and we could get back for the monthly lodge meeting if it coincided with a home game but not if it was a trip north or east.

So the Rangers/OO link is a bit exaggerated wrt lodge members.  I'm pretty sure that the Grand Master of the GOL of Scotland was a Jambo.  I certainly wrote a couple of articles for The Orange Torch after I went to Uni and the then editor was also a Hearts man.

Anyway, a great day for celebrating the establishment of a constitutional monarchy and avowing the supremacy of parliament.  Hope the lads and lassies in loyal orders had a happy and tuneful day out.

Never knew you were that way inclined, answers a whole bunch of questions tbqh. Nothing sinister mind you, just your warped view on the world and how you react within it.

My mother when she divorced dated a member of the Govan branch back in the mid 70's. She said it was just a lot of guys acting out a scene from the film Life of Brian in the scene where they discuss how to deal with the Romans and what name they should be known by. They don't have the influence in the local community like they used to have with it being orientated with Protestantism and the church. The decline of Christianity from what it was back then has most certainly made an impact in their dwindling numbers and that society as a whole has changed the way we think and which beliefs we chose and have not been indoctrinated into from birth.

Nowadays it is more of a gentleman's club is it not?

7 hours ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Iain Wilson was deffo a Jambo- grand master back in about 2007.

Who was the chap years back that had the really bad wig? Think he came from Harthill area. Btw, was Ian Wilson the polite chap? Thought he sounded pretty balanced.

On 13 May 2014 at 21:57, The_Kincardine said:

Not a Northern Irishman per se but I walked with Loyal Orange Lodge 328 (in Motherwell) 'back in the day'. I think my last lodge meeting was in 1981. I have said this before and am always happy to discuss it.

In Scotland (then) every Orangeman had to be a member of a private lodge. Usual description was Loyal Orange Lodge (number) then (name). In the case of my private lodge it was LOL 328 "Israel's Truth Defenders". On my collarette (not a sash, ya c***s) I had wee silver-looking letters/numbers saying "LOL 328". This is where, I suspect, the confusion comes in.

As far as terminology goes/acronyms goes I'd use the following:

I was a member of the Orange Order (OO). My private lodge was LOL 328 in Motherwell. I'd never say, "I belonged to the LOL".

Israel's Truth Defenders!!! 

Not sure Martin Luther would have approved, didn't he a thing about burning Jews back in the old Reformation days?