Teams to allocate squad numbers to players - Instructed by SPFL

If modern and professional means superficial change rather than dealing with real issues then yeah. Has it been confirmed that we calling the league The Championship too? Load of pish.

What are these 'real issues' that you expect a five minutes old league to have dealt with? Be very specific.

Otherwise it would appear we have a set of diddies complaining about a modern, professional change to the game - use your additional prize money to cover the, snigger, ruinous cost of printing a few names and numbers.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Initially it will be a good idea.

Because there are so many changes to teams at the start of every season, we'll at least get to know a bit quicker who's who.

Expense wise i don't think there'll be much difference because teams need to have 3 different sizes s/m/l for each number anyway.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Initially it will be a good idea.Because there are so many changes to teams at the start of every season, we'll at least get to know a bit quicker who's who.Expense wise i don't think there'll be much difference because teams need to have 3 different sizes s/m/l for each number anyway.Sent from my GT-I9100P using Pie & Bovril mobile app

No they don't.

Forget names on the back - that's boring. We could have nicknames. "Granny shagger" or something of a similar ilk. Could get the fans involved with suggestions. That's what we need.

I also bloody hate it when you play an SPL side and the teams announced in numerical order. Hopefully First Division announcers/teamsheets become a bit more savvy. Announce them in order of position!

:lol: It was when we played Celtic in the cup at Starks and the announcer goes "And now for todays teams starting with our visitors Celtic, number on...err..twenty four: Zaluska "

Initially it will be a good idea.

Because there are so many changes to teams at the start of every season, we'll at least get to know a bit quicker who's who.

Expense wise i don't think there'll be much difference because teams need to have 3 different sizes s/m/l for each number anyway.

That last bit isn't, or at least hasn't been true in the past, for us. There's a picture somewhere of Stefan Scougall being absolutely drowned by the #10 shirt that he shared with Kenny Deuchar a couple of years ago.

Mixed feelings on it, adds a bit of professionalism but at the same time adds extra costs that clubs don't really need, although there is extra money coming in. Hopefully it means there's going to be some TV deal in the future but I don't really see it.

Guest Flash

And the players celebrating a goal will be able to do that thing of pointing their thumbs at the name on their back in front of the 300 people in the stand.

Forget names on the back - that's boring. We could have nicknames. "Granny shagger" or something of a similar ilk. Could get the fans involved with suggestions. That's what we need.

Great shout.

Folk moaning about cost, will it really cost that much to have 20-25 strips with numbers/names on the back? I'm sure printing companies would do some sort of deal on it. Does seem a pretty pointless change mind you.

No they don't.

so by saying " no they don't " then I suppose the top that spence was wearing last season was the same one Brian Graham wore or the one bert wore was the same shirt as dougie normally did.

I don't see how it could cost clubs more. If anything it will reduce costs as it will mean the player will be allocated one home/away/third kit, which means they won't change kit number and they won't have to re-print the number on different size strips for different sized players!!

so by saying " no they don't " then I suppose the top that spence was wearing last season was the same one Brian Graham wore or the one bert wore was the same shirt as dougie normally did.

I've no idea who they are, but kit shirts are usually ordered to a standard size. Two sets of short sleeves and one long. If very lucky they might stick a number on one out the shop if one is really to big or wee.

Usually the tops are a mixture of sizes but sure there is a few extra larges in there as well, also with the short sleeved/long sleeved versions

If this is going to be standard now surely there would be some kind of deal in place for mass printing for squad shirts, I quite like the idea tho as much as its a cosmetic change it makes it look a bit more professional

Will you still be allowed to field trialists next season? If so, would you have to give them a squad number with a name on the back, or will they allow special "trialists kits" i.e No.12 - A. trialists on the back

Good idea I think. It might cost a bit more but it's hardly going to be a massive expense. Gives teams a more professional look to and makes it easier to recall who's who. That part is easy enough with your own side but isn't always as easy for your opposition side.

Archived