Teams to allocate squad numbers to players - Instructed by SPFL

Follow Grant Russell on twitter and he's tweeted that the SPFL have asked the first division clubs to allocate numbers to players for this season.

Wonder what the reason for this being, simply for the play offs at the end of the season? Maybe some 1st Division games being televised?

Get the names on the back of the shirts like the lower league down south!

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Follow Grant Russell on twitter and he's tweeted that the SPFL have asked the first division clubs to allocate numbers to players for this season.

Wonder what the reason for this being, simply for the play offs at the end of the season? Maybe some 1st Division games being televised?

Christ, seems a bit daft.

I remember a discussion about the idea of names on shirts on here a couple of years back. Our own SD was saying that there was little point and that it would be prohibitively expensive at this level, requiring the purchase of more strips than would otherwise be necessary.

In the link in that tweet it does state that names will also be required. Divisions Two and Three not affected.

I quite like the idea. Gives a more modern, professional look.

In the link in that tweet it does state that names will also be required. Divisions Two and Three not affected.

Get a shite signal on my phone at work for some reason so hadn't managed to open the link up yet, but yeah I'm with you that it gives a fresh modern look, however at a costly price.

And so it begins.........................

We previously did something similar in Division 3 under Jim Chapman. We had a few players who could play in a number of positions, but Jim assigned a shirt number to each of them and stuck with it regardless of which position they happened to be playing in.

If modern and professional means superficial change rather than dealing with real issues then yeah. Has it been confirmed that we calling the league The Championship too? Load of pish.

If modern and professional means superficial change rather than dealing with real issues then yeah. Has it been confirmed that we calling the league The Championship too? Load of pish.

I agree that it's superficial and unneccessary, but I'm not so pessimistic as to be against it. It's a novel wee change. No big deal.

That's a bit silly really. Needless expense. Having said that we won't have much more than 18 or so jerseys anyway so shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I also bloody hate it when you play an SPL side and the teams announced in numerical order. Hopefully First Division announcers/teamsheets become a bit more savvy. Announce them in order of position!

I'd imagine there will be names on the back of the strips too. Should be decent as it means lower league fans can get letters and numbers on the back of their kit, which I'm sure sports shops will be happy with.

Yes, fans are badly in need of new ways to be ripped off.

Yes, fans are badly in need of new ways to be ripped off.

It'll be the said persons choice if they want numbering or lettering on shirts. So therefore folk paying extra for the novelty, so not really ripping anyone off.

Guest Flash

A positive development that will make every Scottish First Division player a lot less shit than he was previously.

Archived