*****The Official UK Grime Thread*****

I was into drum and bass and then two step stuff like dj zinc.

Seems like the pirates picked up any bass heavy underground stuff and then certain mcs got involved.

As with drum and bass the good stuff is diluted and you end up with stormzy etc?

Am I wrong?

You're not wrong. 

There's certain artists who have the right image and sound at the right time who make it into the "overground" (see Skepta, Stormzy, JME). Like with your dnb, guys like DJ Fresh, Andy C and High Contrast are who people may see as the big names of that genre, while the best (purest) stuff remains underground. 

Oddly, Wiley is one of few artists (IMO) who has had huge commercial success with tunes like Wearing My Rolex and Heatwave, but still remains well in touch with his roots; making dubs and doing pirate radio sets, while his recent free mixtape 'It's all fun and games 'til" was a great example of modern grime instrumentals but with naturally hard bars.

ETA: Functions on the Low is one of my all-time favourite beats. Recently learnt how to play it on the keyboard, decent party trick if folk ken the tune :)

Edited by RawB93

• 9 months later...
4 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I think he's the best thing in it. Sounds a bit like an old UK garage track that JME and Dizzee have rapped over and re-released. 

It was just nice to see old school Dizzee to be honest since he disappeared for that cheesy pop stuff. 

28 minutes ago, Dominique Malonga said:

What's your opinion on Big H? He really seems to divide opinion.

He nees to put together a few years of actually creating music instead of disappearing and only showing up on someone else's track. Either way, I'm not too bothered about him. His lyrics seem unimaginative and his flow is always the same from what I can remember.

The thing I love about JME is that he isn't clearly very intelligent and brings something different on every track (whilst maintaining that certain JME style).

Funny reading your perspective, I'm quite the opposite with those two.
JME is just so boring. I can't think of one quotable bar from him and he's been making tunes for 10+ years. Talks about not drinking and having a degree... zzzzz. Plus he stole his flow and uses his cousins bars.
H probably does overuse his flow and seems a bit lazy when it comes to developing his style. He was amazing for his young age but he's taken that for granted and stood still. He still gets me hyped though and cracks me up when he's chatting shit on radio.

He nees to put together a few years of actually creating music instead of disappearing and only showing up on someone else's track. Either way, I'm not too bothered about him. His lyrics seem unimaginative and his flow is always the same from what I can remember.
The thing I love about JME is that he isn't clearly very intelligent and brings something different on every track (whilst maintaining that certain JME style).

Aye his work rate is poor and I can certainly see why people don't like him just by the way that he acts but that's all part of the charm for me. He's actually my favourite MC. You're right about his lyrics but I think it's just the way he delivers them that's his strong point. It's simple but affective.

See JME has never really done it for me personally but I can see why he's so highly regarded. As you say he's clearly got a intelligent and he has done really well for himself. Although I don't go out if my way to listen to him there are some songs/cyphers that he's involved in that I do enjoy.

Funny reading your perspective, I'm quite the opposite with those two.

JME is just so boring. I can't think of one quotable bar from him and he's been making tunes for 10+ years. Talks about not drinking and having a degree... zzzzz. Plus he stole his flow and uses his cousins bars.

H probably does overuse his flow and seems a bit lazy when it comes to developing his style. He was amazing for his young age but he's taken that for granted and stood still. He still gets me hyped though and cracks me up when he's chatting shit on radio.

Pretty much what I was trying to say, although you've put it better than I have.

His interviews etc are funny as f**k as well.

Some of H's best work - [/url]

• 10 months later...