Gas boilers - maintenance & repair

It does happen though - seen it in new flats like this where folk refuse to take any action and just don't get the fact they're at risk of being killed by CO. The previous owners must've simply ignored any advice, ignored the factors and just hoped the boiler never broke down. It would have met all the regulations when it was built but the flues in voids risk was picked up a good few years ago now. 

Our joiner did a flue inspection hatch fairly cheaply in our all house before our new boiler was installed.

Also SSE do a boiler rescue package where they fix the boiler without charge if you take a year of the cover.

2 minutes ago, CountyFan said:

Getting a quote on Saturday, I'm happy to have the hatches installed. I'm not happy to sit in a freezing flat unable to have a hot shower in the interim though - why can't they fix the boiler in the meantime is what I'm asking. 

Because it's so unsafe having the flue in the void space - it's a deathtrap so freezing you half to death in the meantime is the kind option. 

3 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Because it's so unsafe having the flue in the void space - it's a deathtrap so freezing you half to death in the meantime is the kind option. 

If it's so unsafe the previous owner would have dealt with it surely? They had a daughter living with them too. 

11 minutes ago, CountyFan said:

If it's so unsafe the previous owner would have dealt with it surely? They had a daughter living with them too. 

Nobody could really force them to do it. If the boiler was working and they didn't want "ugly" hatches (or to move the boiler) then that was their choice. Maybe worth checking with the solicitors as it's something that has been in force since the end of 2012. The hatches are the sort of thing you'll spot in the bathroom for access to plumbing etc - they fit perfectly flush. Think they're meant to be roughly every 1.5 along the length of the run of the flue. 

Eta.. They could well have had it serviced at some point and the engineer would have slapped a warning label on it and said to them "I have to advise you not to use it but can't stop you". 

Edited by Shandon Par

I moved into my house a year ago and the boiler had been serviced by British Gas so I thought it was fine, when it came to doing my service the guy I got round had a look at it and found out that one of the safety features had been disconnected. It wasn't automatically shutting the boiler off when it was empty, could have been pretty bad. So yeah, be wary.

10 hours ago, CountyFan said:

So the honeymoon period in my beautiful new flat has lasted ten days. Boiler is in the blink and a Scottish gas engineer comes out to look at it. He won't do anything at all with it because there are no flue access hatches. The problem is likely completely unrelated to the flue. 

Should I stump up to have these access hatches installed? Seems to be conflicting advice following a fairly quick google. And in the mean time if I assume the risk can I get someone to fix the unrelated boiler issue? As I say he wouldn't even look at the boiler, just stuck a sticker on it saying do not use effectively. 

The regulations changed about five years ago.

Now all flues, be they room sealed or whatever which are behind a cavity wall, in a celing void, pipebox etc MUST have inspections hatches to allow access to check for integrity, signs of spillage etc. If your engineer HADNT made you aware of this requirement he would have been putting not only your safety but his registration and job etc on the line.

This is an HSE/Gas safe register requirement and is the law. If he has done his job to letter of the law he should either

Fit the hatches

Tell you the hatches are required and issue a warning notice labelling the appliance as 'At Risk' and shut it off

Or, if you dont allow him to shut it off issue you with said warning notice meaning any dangerous/fatal incident surrounding the boiler becomes your responsibility and your arse on the line, unless its you who is dead.

The actual fitting of the hatches doesnt have to be by an RGI (Registered gas installer, like me) you can even do it yourself and save a few bob, ask the engineer where he wants them (normally every 1.5m or around each flue joint) and you can by said hatches from Jewson, Wickes etc and assuming its a plasterboard wall or ceiling simply cut the template out with a padsaw and they simply click into the slot, no screws etc required. So long as RGI is satisfied they provide adequate access to test flue integrity and no signs of spillage of products of combustion your boiler can go back on.

Edited by Flybhoy

No, no, no just no.
You are paying for a service and BG are gambling that with what passes for a service will prevent them having to pay out.
It's a risk based system.
I'm not saying the service they provide is unsafe, they are in the business to make a profit, so it is definitely not free.

Are you thick? He said he pays £20 a month for it.

Don't blow a gasket and pipe down.

No, no, no just no.
You are paying for a service and BG are gambling that with what passes for a service will prevent them having to pay out.
It's a risk based system.
I'm not saying the service they provide is unsafe, they are in the business to make a profit, so it is definitely not free.

Are you thick? He said he pays £20 a month for it.

Don't blow a gasket and pipe down.

Just realised you almost had me crying from a post that is 18 months old. Carry on.

15 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

The regulations changed about five years ago.

Now all flues, be they room sealed or whatever which are behind a cavity wall, in a celing void, pipebox etc MUST have inspections hatches to allow access to check for integrity, signs of spillage etc. If your engineer HADNT made you aware of this requirement he would have been putting not only your safety but his registration and job etc on the line.

This is an HSE/Gas safe register requirement and is the law. If he has done his job to letter of the law he should either

Fit the hatches

Tell you the hatches are required and issue a warning notice labelling the appliance as 'At Risk' and shut it off

Or, if you dont allow him to shut it off issue you with said warning notice meaning any dangerous/fatal incident surrounding the boiler becomes your responsibility and your arse on the line, unless its you who is dead.

The actual fitting of the hatches doesnt have to be by an RGI (Registered gas installer, like me) you can even do it yourself and save a few bob, ask the engineer where he wants them (normally every 1.5m or around each flue joint) and you can by said hatches from Jewson, Wickes etc and assuming its a plasterboard wall or ceiling simply cut the template out with a padsaw and they simply click into the slot, no screws etc required. So long as RGI is satisfied they provide adequate access to test flue integrity and no signs of spillage of products of combustion your boiler can go back on.

I'll give you five greenies a day for a week if you fit my hatches for nothing?

• 1 year later...
On 23/02/2017 at 12:57, CountyFan said:

So the honeymoon period in my beautiful new flat has lasted ten days. Boiler is in the blink and a Scottish gas engineer comes out to look at it. He won't do anything at all with it because there are no flue access hatches. The problem is likely completely unrelated to the flue. 

Should I stump up to have these access hatches installed? Seems to be conflicting advice following a fairly quick google. And in the mean time if I assume the risk can I get someone to fix the unrelated boiler issue? As I say he wouldn't even look at the boiler, just stuck a sticker on it saying do not use effectively. 

Boiler has now given up the ghost completely and I'm required to replace it. Been quoted £4300 by SSE... seems extremely high but I clearly know f**k all about boilers. Anyone know a decent plumber/heating engineer in the falkirk area? Apparently flue access is still going to be an issue. 

If I never hear the word flue again it'll be too soon. 

1 minute ago, CountyFan said:

Boiler has now given up the ghost completely and I'm required to replace it. Been quoted £4300 by SSE... seems extremely high but I clearly know f**k all about boilers. Anyone know a decent plumber/heating engineer in the falkirk area? Apparently flue access is still going to be an issue. 

If I never hear the word flue again it'll be too soon. 

http://www.mossplumbingandheating.com/