Gas boilers - maintenance & repair

Are any of you fine P&Bers qualified in the murky world of gas combi boiler servicing?

I've had an engineer over today for the annual safety check and it's failed. The boiler is an isar HE24 and is 7-years old. Apparently it requires a replacement gas valve and injector. The price for supply and installation is £330. £250 for parts and £80 for fitting.

Does this sound reasonable?

Did he have a dodgy ponytail?

Pfft. No man with a ponytail would get in my place. Only the ladeeeeees :wub:

I'll do it for a tenner and a multipack of Skips.

Sorry mate I can't stretch that far. Could we meet in the middle for a fiver and half bottle of Aldi cola?

Thanks but I don't have time to shop around tbh. I'm a landlord and the boiler has been shut off pending a repair. Can't have the tenants with no hot water for any longer than absolutely necessary so it has to be done tomorrow. Just wondering if I can get him down a bit on price. I don't mind paying it if it's a fair quote though.

Have a look here for parts prices

http://www.heatingspareparts.com/boilerparts.asp

The parts seem slightly expensive but not to the point of rip off. The labour sounds about right.

Cheers mate. I'll have a gander and see what the typical cost is for the parts.

Expensive business when yer boiler goes on the blink.

Sorry mate I can't stretch that far. Could we meet in the middle for a fiver and half bottle of Aldi cola?

Throw in a tub of humous and you have yourself a deal, young man.

Throw in a tub of humous and you have yourself a deal, young man.

Humous? I'm no made of money. Where do you think I live Newton Mearns?

No wonder plumbers live in big houses, with multiroom sky and all that.

Are any of you fine P&Bers qualified in the murky world of gas combi boiler servicing?

I've had an engineer over today for the annual safety check and it's failed. The boiler is an isar HE24 and is 7-years old. Apparently it requires a replacement gas valve and injector. The price for supply and installation is £330. £250 for parts and £80 for fitting.

Does this sound reasonable?

Try Pilot FM Ltd, Jordo. I use them for my flats. http://www.pilotfmltd.co.uk/

Thanks but I don't have time to shop around tbh. I'm a landlord and the boiler has been shut off pending a repair. Can't have the tenants with no hot water for any longer than absolutely necessary so it has to be done tomorrow. Just wondering if I can get him down a bit on price. I don't mind paying it if it's a fair quote though.

Cheers mate. I'll have a gander and see what the typical cost is for the parts.

Expensive business when yer boiler goes on the blink.

I use British gas homecare for my flats. At 20 odd quid a month it seems expensive but with free boiler services and cover for all heating electrics and plumbing at times like this it becomes worth the money. Not to mention I can let the agency know i use british gas and they deal with everything after that.

I use British gas homecare for my flats. At 20 odd quid a month it seems expensive but with free boiler services and cover for all heating electrics and plumbing at times like this it becomes worth the money. Not to mention I can let the agency know i use british gas and they deal with everything after that.

No, no, no just no.

You are paying for a service and BG are gambling that with what passes for a service will prevent them having to pay out.

It's a risk based system.

I'm not saying the service they provide is unsafe, they are in the business to make a profit, so it is definitely not free.

No, no, no just no.

You are paying for a service and BG are gambling that with what passes for a service will prevent them having to pay out.

It's a risk based system.

I'm not saying the service they provide is unsafe, they are in the business to make a profit, so it is definitely not free.

not free, but all parts and labour included :rolleyes: