Shite Local Festivals

Gaz

The Kirriemuir & District Agricultural Show is every mid-July and is dreadful.

Usually consisting of a series of marquees with nothing of any interest in them apart from the beer tent, and a display area where someone fannies about with a weird car, a horse and cart, and possibly the most unimpressive motorcycle stunt show in human history.

It finishes at 5pm-ish at which point most folk f**k off into the town, get even more pished and end up scrapping.

Dire.

• 11 months later...

BUMP

Shite Local Festival season is in full flow again. Which local festivals shall you be attending only to be forced home by the hordes of 14-year-olds out of their face on MD and Bucky?

Edited by Gaz

I know a lot of people like it, but the Glasgow West End Festival ended up being a royal pain in the arse for a few years back there before they scaled it down and moved it to Kelvingrove - if you actually lived there.

It started off fine, just a few small scale events, the boozers open late and the parade, but over the years it grew arms and legs until it seemed the organisers thought they owned the entire district and it was almost like a virtual lockdown.

I remember going out for the paper the morning of the parade one year only to have some wee comestain in high-vis trying to tell me I couldn't go back up my own street. Forget even getting out of the area for the day, as the minute you drove off some tourist looking for rock star parking would be hovering to take your parking space. It didn't even do much for the local economy apart from the boozers either - a lot of shops didn't bother opening as any extra they made would be offset by the amount of neds shoplifting.

Local gala is ok, usual shit. Random collection of things manoeuvre down the Main Street and kids seem to enjoy it. Then afterwards everyone goes to local junior ground near me and there's a shit disco and games for kids.

Utterly shite and pointless if you don't have kids though, I try to go for a walk somewhere miles away. Last time I stayed they had a police car and were letting kids set off the sirens every 30 secs for over two hours. Great stuff when you are trying to chill out in the garden.....

Get the impression there's a few organisers who take it all incredibly seriously and nobody else cares.

We have tramlines in Sheffield which is from 25th to the 27th of next month. Looking forward to it as it's done on west street in town where all the pubs and clubs are but I must admit I just go for the booze and not for the music although a couple of friends' band play so I do go and check them out. But still a very good few days when the weather is nice and a good reason for a good weekend boozing session.

What exactly is the difference between a Fair and a Gala Day, and why do the people of Bo'ness care so much?

1) There's no difference

2) By and large they're a bunch of inbred morons.

I updated my FB status last year to "Hope my Bo'ness friends enjoy the galaday tomorrow!" only to have my fishing trip spoiled by my auntie and P&B's own ffcsam who told everyone I was on a fishing trip. Was looking forward to some utter seethe from my Bo'ness dwelling chums.

Edited by Gaz

Think I'm going to toddle along to "WestFest Dundee" on Sunday.

No doubt it will be shite and full of arseholes. It does promise a beer tent though.

I worked the beer tent at WestFest last year and it's extraordinarily busy. It's a nice wee festival actually and doesn't deserve to be in this thread.

Local gala is ok, usual shit. Random collection of things manoeuvre down the Main Street and kids seem to enjoy it. Then afterwards everyone goes to local junior ground near me and there's a shit disco and games for kids.

Utterly shite and pointless if you don't have kids though, I try to go for a walk somewhere miles away. Last time I stayed they had a police car and were letting kids set off the sirens every 30 secs for over two hours. Great stuff when you are trying to chill out in the garden.....

Get the impression there's a few organisers who take it all incredibly seriously and nobody else cares.

I remember our Gala Day being one of the highlights of the year when I was wee, up there with Christmas. Whether that's a damning criticism of my childhood, I'm not sure, but it was great dressing up with the floats and then getting given a fiver to spend on random stuff and sweets/food all day with your friends.

Went back to the village as an adult and it was utter shite.

Meadows festival was on good form this morning it's probably about to be washed out though

Watched a band from Shetland who were pretty decent and spotted an absolute protégé in the kids football tournament.

Just asked someone at my work from Bo'ness if they were going to the Bo'ness gala.

They were genuinely annoyed...

It's the fucking fair it's not a gala!

Lolz

I worked the beer tent at WestFest last year and it's extraordinarily busy. It's a nice wee festival actually and doesn't deserve to be in this thread.

Did you ? The selection of drinks was Shite and overpriced so I'm blaming you. Most folk just bring their own from nisa.

I can't remember a year when the Meadows Festival wasn't washed out. They have been extraordinarily unlucky with weather.

Maybe it's the Great Spirit in the Sky trying to give them a hint that their festival is shite.

I'm an old curmudgeon and avoid these gatherings like the plague. 8)

Hope the rain stays away for all the ladies doing the Edinburgh Moonwalk. There's a wummin from the work doing 'Moonwalk Extreme' - i.e. walking 52 miles. :o:wacko:

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

I can't remember a year when the Meadows Festival wasn't washed out. They have been extraordinarily unlucky with weather.

Maybe it's the Great Spirit in the Sky trying to give them a hint that their festival is shite.

I'm an old curmudgeon and avoid these gatherings like the plague. 8)

Hope the rain stays away for all the ladies doing the Edinburgh Moonwalk. There's a wummin from the work doing 'Moonwalk Extreme' - i.e. walking 52 miles. :o:wacko:

My missus is doing the 52 miles. There is no danger she will manage it. She won't even.to the shops.x r milk.

Does that mean I need to roll my jeans up and wear a daft hat or something?

You need to step up more than that. Grow a huge sailors beard, ride a unicycle and take a bird that looks like the receptionist from Ghostbusters.