Reasons to be Cheerful

I like asking it stupid questions, but would never buy one for myself because I wouldn’t use it. I’d rather have the football on or talksport for a laugh, etc.

You can still use it for listening to Talksport or any radio station though. I think it’s a great bit of kit for any household I just think people get too excited about how it talks back to you and gives you answers to questions you ask.

You can still use it for listening to Talksport or any radio station though. I think it’s a great bit of kit for any household I just think people get too excited about how it talks back to you and gives you answers to questions you ask.

Well yeah I could, but more often than not it’ll be sky sports new on the TV. Like I say, for the money they’re good and ours gets plenty of use. I agree though that an automated speaker gets the clamour like that. It’s a novelty which wears off quite quickly and it then just becomes a very decent portable and I think more importantly good looking speaker for a room.

I use it for my lights and music in house for the now.
1 upstairs
1 in living room and 1 in kitchen
Also by end of this month will have it set with my heating also.
The lights I use for hallway and livingroom so far.
Going to get one for outside light also.

Alexa is pretty cool. 80 pound a year and that's unlimited music , prime which includes movies , ebooks n tv series.

Took a wee while to get all set up but once set up its fine. Kids just need to stop saying Alexa all the time

How do you go about connecting it to control the lights?

25 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

In short.
You get led smart bulbs which connects up to Alexa. You can use certain programmes to its set up so one light can go on at a time or they call can.
Also Alexa can choose the brightness of the light also.
Same as you use yer volume for music .

A lot of fiddling about but once all set up its pretty cool.

Never knew that ‘smart bulbs’ existed; I always assumed this would require electrical installation work.

I will now look into this in more detail!

Done my passport renewal online last Monday night. Posted my old passport back to them on the Tuesday. Got an email earlier today to tell me that my new passport has been sent out and will be here by Wednesday at the latest. :)

I picked up an LED smart bulb for the dining room, just out of curiosity. Cost £12 and can change to 16 different colours, including the option to cycle between them and do a few strobe-type effects for parties, all selectable by remote control. No idea if it connects to Alexas or not, as I'm still struggling to see the point of them.

Only problem is that it's about as bright as a birthday candle; useless even in a desk lamp. The wean's easily pleased, so we swapped with the one in his room. Buyer beware, I guess.

Next for me will be the heating . Is good the now to control via my mobile but want it so if I don't have my mobile on me Alexa can put it on for me. Also she can change the temperature of it also .

I didn't think I could do any of this. But fairly straight forward

Have you not seen the film 2001: A Space Odyssey before? It’s only a matter of time before Alexa locks you in your house and turns the temperature up to 1000 degrees and melts you alive.

What nonsense. Just switch the damn lights off like any normal person. Is the evolution of man to become lazy and dependant on technology? Shit, my echo died and the dog chewed the cable, the lights are stuck on indefinitely and it's got my speakers playing Tommy Scott on repeat!

What nonsense. Just switch the damn lights off like any normal person. Is the evolution of man to become lazy and dependant on technology? Shit, my echo died and the dog chewed the cable, the lights are stuck on indefinitely and it's got my speakers playing Tommy Scott on repeat!
Really doing nothing to dispell certain Fifer stereotypes here.

We are a lazy species. There have been loads of inventions prior to Echo that have made us lazier and I'm sure we'll continue in the same way.

When we can be bothered.

9 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:
10 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
Had no idea those bulbs existed either. I'll be purchasing tomorrow. Like GD, I thought it required something a lot more technical.

When you look online ( I presume you have) their are fair few different ones. Not just a matter of putting them in and that's it. Do you're homework on them

Am I to assume that you just keep the lights switched on at the wall all the time and the output is controlled by Alexa via the bulb then? 

10 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Am I to assume that you just keep the lights switched on at the wall all the time and the output is controlled by Alexa via the bulb then? 

Yeah.  After hearing this from GMan it turns out my younger son has them in his house.  His is controlled by an app on his phone rather than an Amazon Echo.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Yeah.  After hearing this from GMan it turns out my younger son has them in his house.  His is controlled by an app on his phone rather than an Amazon Echo.

Bit gimmicky but if they're no more expensive than normal LED bulbs might look at it when replacing next time.