Reasons to be Cheerful

For several years now, a particular executive at my company has been infamous for looking after a small group of his favourite employees. Promoting them above their skill-set, protecting them when they did wrong and so forth. This group have known they're bullet-proof and have taken full advantage of it. 

One particular example - a while back I gave a member of my department a Performance Review of "Meets Expectations" instead of the "Exceeds Expectations" grading she was expecting. Immediately after our review call, she was on the phone to this Exec. and shortly afterwards, my boss received a call from him telling him to tell me, that the review needed to be improved. Never mind that the grading was perfectly fair, or that he wasn't even part of our reporting structure so it was none of his damn business, or that it made this employee effectively unmanageable until she left of her own volition 3 months later. Obviously, I'm not bitter about this at all.  

Anyway, the aforementioned Exec has just announced he'll be leaving at the end of the year. It's a joy to hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth from his hitherto protected little group as it sinks in that from now on they'll be judged on their merits, or lack thereof. And held accountable for their behaviour. More than a few of them have made enemies over the years and I wouldn't be at all surprised is some major payback is forthcoming.

It's a beautiful day today. 

47 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

For several years now, a particular executive at my company has been infamous for looking after a small group of his favourite employees. Promoting them above their skill-set, protecting them when they did wrong and so forth. This group have known they're bullet-proof and have taken full advantage of it. 

One particular example - a while back I gave a member of my department a Performance Review of "Meets Expectations" instead of the "Exceeds Expectations" grading she was expecting. Immediately after our review call, she was on the phone to this Exec. and shortly afterwards, my boss received a call from him telling him to tell me, that the review needed to be improved. Never mind that the grading was perfectly fair, or that he wasn't even part of our reporting structure so it was none of his damn business, or that it made this employee effectively unmanageable until she left of her own volition 3 months later. Obviously, I'm not bitter about this at all.  

Anyway, the aforementioned Exec has just announced he'll be leaving at the end of the year. It's a joy to hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth from his hitherto protected little group as it sinks in that from now on they'll be judged on their merits, or lack thereof. And held accountable for their behaviour. More than a few of them have made enemies over the years and I wouldn't be at all surprised is some major payback is forthcoming.

Walk up them all like this-

Image result for noel frasier fight

1 hour ago, Shotgun said:

I feel your joy. Beware of revealing it until he's actually left the door though, could be a sneaky manoeuvre.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

I feel your joy. Beware of revealing it until he's actually left the door though, could be a sneaky manoeuvre.

:thumsup2  No, when it comes to office politics, I've learned over the years it's best just to keep my mouth shut. I'll enjoy this from the sidelines. 

5 hours ago, Shotgun said:

Surely he'll be taking them with him to his new employment, if they're that good?

Yeah Shotgun we're gonna need you to move down to the basement. And leave that stapler as well
c0da83a81b0356c1778ebd193c41b0e1.jpg

:thumsup2  No, when it comes to office politics, I've learned over the years it's best just to keep my mouth shut. I'll enjoy this from the sidelines. 

There was one team in my old department who got away with murder because of their manager, when he announced he had been offered a job in a different department it was like they'd been told they had weeks to live.

Within 6 months of him moving to a new department, 4 had left (2 jumping before they got fired), one had switched departments and the other had been put on a final warning.

10 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

Surely he'll be taking them with him to his new employment, if they're that good?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he put his cell phone on mute for a couple of days so he didn't have to deal with any of them calling to beg for just that.

6 hours ago, Swarley said:

Yeah Shotgun we're gonna need you to move down to the basement. And leave that stapler as well

I don't care if they lay me off either, because I told, I told Bill that if they move my desk one more time, then, then I'm, I'm quitting. I'm going to quit. And, and I told Don too, because they've moved my desk four times already this year, and I used to be over by the window, and I could see the squirrels, and they were merry, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much, and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and it's not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire...

19 hours ago, NorthernJambo said:

Getting wrecked in a school now cos your aff tomorrow

Edit: getting wrecked on a school night cos you're aff tomorrow

Thanks. @bobbyskidmarks

Edit again: thanks @melaniousmillarkey. Boab had f**k all to do with this

This is pathetic young Jambo, take it away and do it again.