The Universe

Was curious how fast Cassini has to travel to avoid being sucked into Saturn (escape velocity from its surface is 36 km/sec), and found a problem for anyone contemplating some intergalactic travel. The escape velocity required to leave the Milky Way is about the same as leaving the surface of the Sun, about 600 km/sec. Quite nippy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_velocity#List_of_escape_velocities

Some of the pics from Cassini 'Grand Finale Dive #1'

https://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/news/3032/nasa-spacecraft-dives-between-saturn-and-its-rings/

3032_triptych.jpg

These unprocessed images show features in Saturn's atmosphere from closer than ever before. The view was captured by NASA's Cassini spacecraft during its first Grand Finale dive past the planet on April 26, 2017. Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/Space Science Institute

Edited by FlyerTon

Heard a guy on Radio 4 this morning talking about how he'd spent 27 years working on Cassini. English guy on the Today programme, bit tearful about the end. Not a bad way to spend a life, must be about the most productive space project in history.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, welshbairn said:

For insomniacs, here's an hour plus lecture about the Juno mission to Jupiter, and why, by someone who knows. A bit OU.

How tickled I am to be here on Jupiter

• 4 weeks later...
Heard a guy on Radio 4 this morning talking about how he'd spent 27 years working on Cassini. English guy on the Today programme, bit tearful about the end. Not a bad way to spend a life, must be about the most productive space project in history.

RIP

• 2 weeks later...

The multiverse theory is absolutely mind boiling, but increasingly being seen as a possibilty.

If true,surely the next big jump will be finding ways to prove this theory and then ways of exploiting it. Quantam computers could hold the key.

Imagine the furore if folk became aware that each choice or random chance in life carried out differently in a different multiverse.  No more religion and big imaginery pals in the sky for a start.

Imagine if we could jump between these spaces. Mentally this future is being theorised......

I quite fancy being king of scots for a day.:P or maybe even flying on the back of a pteradactyl across pangea.

wicked.

On 23/02/2017 at 06:55, Dee Man said:

I was listening to a report on it last night. If we travelled there using the most advanced of the rockets we have available to us at the moment, it would take us 700,000 years to get there. I'm sorry, but you can show me all the graphics and videos you like about the vastness of the universe and how insignificant Earth is but I will never be able to wrap my head around that shit.

Maybe the aliens on that planet have got some better modes of transport and we could meet them at Pluto or something. Maybe get a few pints in.

How's this for a mindblower.  If you travelled from one side of the universe to the other at the speed of light, it would take 93 billion years.

Just think about that.  At 186,000 MILES PER SECOND, it would still take 93 billion years to transverse the cosmos.

7 minutes ago, Fide said:

How's this for a mindblower.  If you travelled from one side of the universe to the other at the speed of light, it would take 93 billion years.

Just think about that.  At 186,000 MILES PER SECOND, it would still take 93 billion years to transverse the cosmos.

unnamed (9).gif

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Define "one side of the universe" in 10,000 words or less please stating whether this 93 billion years takes into account universe expansion/contraction.

In fact, don't bother.

I shall explain, my young Padowan.

Although the universe is around 13.8 billion years old, due to expansion, the "edge" of the observable universe is around 46 billion light years away.  And because we can look for 46 billion light years in all directions, you can imagine us being an imaginary centre of a universe 92 - 93 billion light years across.

Of course, the universe has no centre and no edge, but, yeah, 93 billion light years across.  And to put that into context, at the speed of light, you could circumnavigate the Earth 7 times in one second.

6 hours ago, git-intae-thum said:

The multiverse theory is absolutely mind boiling, but increasingly being seen as a possibilty.

If true,surely the next big jump will be finding ways to prove this theory and then ways of exploiting it. Quantam computers could hold the key.

Imagine the furore if folk became aware that each choice or random chance in life carried out differently in a different multiverse.  No more religion and big imaginery pals in the sky for a start.

Imagine if we could jump between these spaces. Mentally this future is being theorised......

I quite fancy being king of scots for a day.:P or maybe even flying on the back of a pteradactyl across pangea.

wicked.

"The lord created mutilverses to test us" would be the standard bollocks spoken.  Just like they do for anything else that science (or just plain common sense) debunks.

8 hours ago, git-intae-thum said:

wicked.

Ouch!!! 

You don't need to imagine dimension hopping, just watch Rick & Morty. 

The mutilverse theory makes sense, as pretty much everything you do, or don't do, has consequences that will travel around the world.

It's why I always hate when football commentators assume that if a goal had been scored that the game would have went in the exact same manner (e.g. "he should have a hattrick!") or some such pish.

The smallest things we do, or don't do, have knock on effects. When these effects combine with other effects, and so on and so on, you simply don't know what can, will, won't or will not happen.