The Universe

As expected, the Nobel prize for physics this year has gone to Rainer Weiss, Kip Thorne and Barry Barish for the detection of gravitational waves.

I can only imagine the basement dwelling, St Mirren pyjama wearing moron that is wisbit, having a full blown cranium detachment at the thought.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/science-environment-41476648

Kind of peeved that Glasgow Uni, who paved the way for this discovery in many ways (Profs Drever and Hough prominent) don't get a mention here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-35551872

Edited to clarify I mean by the Nobel committee, not the BBC article obviously.

Edited by Ranaldo Bairn

10 hours ago, Tamdunk said:

Has anyone ever argued or spoke with a flat earther?

Never met one in real life, but I did go through a phase of watching some videos and listening to some of the nutters to try and work out what they base their belief on. Although it's clearly nonsense I was curious how the theory could still exist in modern times .

Turns out, to the surprise of nobody, the belief is based on zero scientific evidence and mostly biblical hocus pocus. Who'd have thought?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry if somebody already posted this - been a while since I've checked in. Did anyone work out if Wisbit was right about gravity?

The Nevada Museum of Art appear to have obtained Kickstarter funding for the first purely decorative satellite to orbit Earth (or anywhere else we know of, I suppose). It's some kind of reflective device that will be visible with the naked eye from the planet's surface, although I haven't noticed anything that describes if it'll follow Nevada as the planet rotates, or if it'll be stationary and visible in different part of the world. Either way, the conspiracy theorists will presumably lose their minds. It'll only orbit for two months, then burn up in the atmosphere, which is a bit of a shame as I quite like the idea of a Halley's Comet-style pretty object that pops up in the sky every now and then.

• 4 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

That is cool but I guarantee they find some boring explanation for it all.

I thought it was going to be Daily Express type bollocks but it seems to be quite serious. If they went to the trouble of disguising a ship as a rock I doubt they'll be letting mobile phone signals escape from it though.