The Universe

:o

16002958_1368422499896217_21868303825677

The wavemaker moon, Daphnis, is featured in this view, taken as NASA's Cassini spacecraft made one of its ring-grazing passes over the outer edges of Saturn's rings on Jan. 16, 2017. This is the closest view of the small moon obtained yet.

Daphnis (5 miles or 8 kilometers across) orbits within the 42-kilometer (26-mile) wide Keeler Gap. Cassini's viewing angle causes the gap to appear narrower than it actually is, due to foreshorteneing.

The little moon's gravity raises waves in the edges of the gap in both the horizontal and vertical directions. Cassini was able to observe the vertical structures in 2009, around the time of Saturn's equinox (see Rippling Shadows).

https://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/resources/7589/

Also a picture taken from Mars of the Earth and moon

15826132_10154171725637918_9165159915499

The image combines two separate exposures taken on Nov. 20, 2016, by the High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment (HiRISE) camera on NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter. The images were taken to calibrate HiRISE data, since the reflectance of the moon's Earth-facing side is well known. For presentation, the exposures were processed separately to optimize detail visible on both Earth and the moon. The moon is much darker than Earth and would barely be visible if shown at the same brightness scale as Earth.

The combined view retains the correct positions and sizes of the two bodies relative to each other. The distance between Earth and the moon is about 30 times the diameter of Earth. Earth and the moon appear closer than they actually are in this image because the observation was planned for a time at which the moon was almost directly behind Earth, from Mars' point of view, to see the Earth-facing side of the moon.

In the image, the reddish feature near the middle of the face of Earth is Australia. When the component images were taken, Mars was about 127 million miles (205 million kilometers) from Earth.

http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/news/2017/01/06/your-home-planet-as-seen-from-mars

12 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

The 3 second video shows 4 planets orbiting another star.  While the video may only be a few seconds long it is actually condensing 7 years worth of movement.

Four Planet System Directly Imaged In Motion

This is fucking huge.  The first ever directly imaged footage of another solar system in motion. Incredible.

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

I was listening to a report on it last night. If we travelled there using the most advanced of the rockets we have available to us at the moment, it would take us 700,000 years to get there. I'm sorry, but you can show me all the graphics and videos you like about the vastness of the universe and how insignificant Earth is but I will never be able to wrap my head around that shit.

Maybe the aliens on that planet have got some better modes of transport and we could meet them at Pluto or something. Maybe get a few pints in.

I was reading something about Holographic theory the other day. Maybe got it wrong but it seemed to say that the universe is 2D except at the macro level, where it becomes 3D. In Universal scales, the Solar System is the macro level. Stopped thinking about it there cos my head was hurting.

27 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

I was listening to a report on it last night. If we travelled there using the most advanced of the rockets we have available to us at the moment, it would take us 700,000 years to get there. I'm sorry, but you can show me all the graphics and videos you like about the vastness of the universe and how insignificant Earth is but I will never be able to wrap my head around that shit.

Maybe the aliens on that planet have got some better modes of transport and we could meet them at Pluto or something. Maybe get a few pints in.

Bad idea.
The aliens would probably say "Hey the beer here is crap.  Let's go to Neptune."
They would probably get there in about three seconds while you would take 6 years to get across.
Could be embarassing.

1 minute ago, Fullerene said:

Bad idea.
The aliens would probably say "Hey the beer here is crap.  Let's go to Neptune."
They would probably get there in about three seconds while you would take 6 years to get across.
Could be embarassing.

At least the little green c***s would get the first round in.

• 2 months later...