The Universe

5 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

See when they find these planets hunners o miles away, how do they get an artist over to paint it so quick?

They don't actually paint the planet, costs too much to transport all the materials and would take quite a while to arrive anyhow.

They actually just take a No Man's Sky screenshot.

On 30/08/2016 at 16:56, Tommy Nooka said:

If it says "I come in peace" ?

The older I've gotten the more I've leant towards the side of this debate where it's probably not a good idea to go contacting sentient aliens as they'll highly likely to be quite apex predator-y, it's how evolution works.

For about 2.3 billion years the oxygen levels of our planet have been broadcasting "Life Here" in big neon letters across the Galaxy for anyone who has a slightly better than our technology base. 

Simple, if they exist and are curious about life outside their solar system then they were likely here tens to hundreds of millions of years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-replicating_spacecraft

More over they most likely left probes to monitor this planet. 

Our broadcasts are redundant. 

17 hours ago, dorlomin said:

For about 2.3 billion years the oxygen levels of our planet have been broadcasting "Life Here" in big neon letters across the Galaxy for anyone who has a slightly better than our technology base. 

Simple, if they exist and are curious about life outside their solar system then they were likely here tens to hundreds of millions of years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-replicating_spacecraft

More over they most likely left probes to monitor this planet. 

Our broadcasts are redundant. 

That's all true and it's probably more common than we think in the billions of star systems in the Universe. A hostile higher species might ignore us until it thinks we could be a threat or we draw attention to ourselves, kind of like if the Klingons had spotted Zefram Cochranes warp drive instead of the Vulcans. ;)

Jupiter doesn't bother me too much as it doesn't have a surface you can 'go to' per se. However, it was quite cool to see it's northern lights just as we would have.

That's all true and it's probably more common than we think in the billions of star systems in the Universe. A hostile higher species might ignore us until it thinks we could be a threat or we draw attention to ourselves, kind of like if the Klingons had spotted Zefram Cochranes warp drive instead of the Vulcans. [emoji6]

They'd probably just think "Ach, cool story bro. Given the time it takes for light to reach us from there, some extinction event will have wiped them out by now."

Jupiter doesn't bother me too much as it doesn't have a surface you can 'go to' per se. However, it was quite cool to see it's northern lights just as we would have.

They'd probably just think "Ach, cool story bro. Given the time it takes for light to reach us from there, some extinction event will have wiped them out by now."

Or by the time they or their probes get here we'll be technologically ahead of the point they were when they set off

On ‎03‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 10:29, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Or by the time they or their probes get here we'll be technologically ahead of the point they were when they set off

The New Horizons probe to Pluto was the fastest ever but took 9 years to get to Pluto.  It would take 5,000 years to get to Alpha Centauri if it was heading that way.

Imagine their people showing up here with all their VHS tapes because they thought we were still using them,

1 minute ago, Fullerene said:

The New Horizons probe to Pluto was the fastest ever but took 9 years to get to Pluto.  It would take 5,000 years to get to Alpha Centauri if it was heading that way.

I love the idea of doing this, but successive technologies getting their faster and faster such that there are still 5 separate probes still on the way by the time the most recent actually arrives. The first probe sent would be a museum piece, an echo of humanity sent from the distant past.

On 9/3/2016 at 12:31, Hedgecutter said:

Wormholes my man, WORMHOLES!!!!! ;)

Plenty of stars close enough to see something and still visit in time for tea (Proxima Centauri is less than 5 light years away).

On 03/09/2016 at 12:31, Hedgecutter said:

That's a thought...."Extinction tennis",,,,

We just about get to the point where we know of each other, and then....boooooom..... Start again.

Brilliant. A bit like the Australian one where they were picking up microwaves which they thought were coming from space, and it took them ages to figure out it was actually coming from the staff canteen because people would pop open the microwave door before it had went ding.

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed Star at Night is on now. Going to have to watch it later, and hope the fat bird tones it down a bit, but looks like an interesting one:

Chris Lintott and Maggie Aderin-Pocock report on the recent discovery of a planet with similar qualities to Earth orbiting Proxima Centauri, the nearest star to our solar system. The programme examines what the environment of this world might be like and the logistics of building a spacecraft capable of travelling 4.23 light years to reach it.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Elon Musk is about to explain his planned manned Mars mission on here very soon.

From the topic list I couldn't see there was an attachment so it looked like 

Elon Musk is about to explain his planned manned Mars mission on here very soon.

Which I initially read as meaning

Elon Musk is about to explain his planned manned Mars mission on P&B  very soon.