The East Fife Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Right, here goes!! The lack of comment, whether it be constructive or critical, says a lot for our support nowadays. Usually, being 2nd bottom and not winning a game since September would bring all sorts of tongue lashings, and generally downbeat criticism of both the player's and the club.
The fact that we are in the said position, and the "noise" isn't happening tells me that the supporters are generally happy.
With this in mind, let's hear from you all.
A. Backing the player's, management, and club.
B. Giving suggestions as to how we get out of this position
C. How do we inspire the support to grow if/when we do start winning games. Remember, there are club representatives who follow this discussion.

Constructive and critical is the basis of debate, so feel free to speak.

Thanks
Ian

I honestly feel that squad size is what is holding us back at the moment, everybody and their dug said at the start of the season that Gary's decision to go with such a tight squad, (in numbers) would bite him in the arse once we picked up the usual amount of injuries and suspensions and it has!!!
I really feel that GN has a starting 11 and 5 reserves in his squad and when any of those 11 are missing any of those that come in are merely substitutes and not replacements if you know what I mean???
We're playing guys who aren't 100% fit (Smith & Lamont), playing guys who are clearly square pegs in round holes (Slattery & Wallace), guys on loan who are just making up the numbers (O'Hara) and guys who don't know if they are coming or going, farmed out or recalled (Austin). We don't, due to injuries or suspensions have enough of a squad to name a full bench for recent games and to be honest that isn't good enough for a professional club and that is a situation that Gary must take the blame for!!!

His saving grace and the lack of public criticism for him is that everybody knows and appreciates how hard he works for the Club, everybody knows and appreciates how good a manager he actually is (is it 5 or 6 Manager of the Month awards out of the last 16 and the Manager of the Year award last year?), everybody knows and appreciates the financial constraints that he works under he has built a side that is able to compete and beat the majority of sides in League One with players on League Two wages and probably and most importantly everybody knows and appreciates that he has built one of the best footballing sides from a playing point of view in the division!!!
I think the return of Robinson will help us immensely but if we can get to the next transfer window without falling any further behind the teams above us then the acquisition of at least another 2 or 3 players is a must and I have every confidence that we will be fine!!!
Seem to remember a similar slump last season at this time and look what happened then!!!

That's probably the same view as everyone of us KK, Just hope others come on here to back it up. It's actually a pleasant experience seeing EF fans with a bit of patience for a change. Really hope we have all learned our lesson that continually sacking managers isn't the answer. I've always felt a minimum of 3 years before you can honestly say, he had a good chance to prove himself, but failed. Unless the players turn round and say they can't work with so and so

A few players who did so well last season, have just not hit the same heights. The two obvious ones who spring to mind are Kyle Wilkie and Jason Kerr. I think losing Stevie Campbell was also a big loss as he had good experience and was a good leader. I look at the current team and don't see many leaders no one seems to drive the team on. Look at the 2nd goal Alloa scored and the first goal Queens Park scored almost carbon copies of brutal defending, how are the players not learning from those errors,is it bad coaching or just a lack of ability. You can blame a lack of squad numbers but I believe the cause of our failings this season has been our tactics isolating one man up front with no support. We have set up more often than not to contain the opposition, and what ultimately happens is we concede the first goal and you can't for the life of you see how we can get back in the game. Then the last 15 minutes we fling on two or three forwards and huff and puff but just can't break down well drilled defences. We looked so much better against Alloa last week trying to close them down further up the. Park and getting on the front foot. I won't knock the players and managements efforts but some of the players need to take a bit more responsibility and show some leadership qualities. Confidence comes in winning games of football lets hope we can turn the corner in our next 2 games in the cup and Stennie away,these should be 2 games if we play to our potential and cut out the basic errors we can win and get some much needed confidence.

I still have 100% support in Gary Naysmith, after what he's done for us and the loyalty he's shown us I dont think I could turn against him.

We will turn this around, but I do agree that we are a couple of players short. Let's hope, sooner rather than later, we add a couple of players and get the win we need and deserve. Mon the Fife [emoji106]

I'm a far flung Fifer now but still support from over here and keep tabs on how we are doing.

Like has been said, to go with such a small squad is hurting us. We were a bit lucky last season in that our key players stayed relatively injury and suspension free.

Naysmith has my support, but he certainly needs to add numbers in January. Do we not have a youth team that we can use just to bulk up the numbers?

I can't be arsed being negative anymore. We are where we are, this has veen our level for pretty much all my lifetime. It pains me that we won't do much better whilst whoever owns us pulls the strings and holds us back. How great would it be to have a proper East Fife man who owned the club and shared the vision of most of our support blah blah blah, been here and said it all before. Back to winning ways in cup on Saturday i hope. Mon the Fife

On 22/11/2016 at 11:06, King Kebab said:

I honestly feel that squad size is what is holding us back at the moment, everybody and their dug said at the start of the season that Gary's decision to go with such a tight squad, (in numbers) would bite him in the arse once we picked up the usual amount of injuries and suspensions and it has!!!
I really feel that GN has a starting 11 and 5 reserves in his squad and when any of those 11 are missing any of those that come in are merely substitutes and not replacements if you know what I mean???
We're playing guys who aren't 100% fit (Smith & Lamont), playing guys who are clearly square pegs in round holes (Slattery & Wallace), guys on loan who are just making up the numbers (O'Hara) and guys who don't know if they are coming or going, farmed out or recalled (Austin). We don't, due to injuries or suspensions have enough of a squad to name a full bench for recent games and to be honest that isn't good enough for a professional club and that is a situation that Gary must take the blame for!!!

His saving grace and the lack of public criticism for him is that everybody knows and appreciates how hard he works for the Club, everybody knows and appreciates how good a manager he actually is (is it 5 or 6 Manager of the Month awards out of the last 16 and the Manager of the Year award last year?), everybody knows and appreciates the financial constraints that he works under he has built a side that is able to compete and beat the majority of sides in League One with players on League Two wages and probably and most importantly everybody knows and appreciates that he has built one of the best footballing sides from a playing point of view in the division!!!
I think the return of Robinson will help us immensely but if we can get to the next transfer window without falling any further behind the teams above us then the acquisition of at least another 2 or 3 players is a must and I have every confidence that we will be fine!!!
Seem to remember a similar slump last season at this time and look what happened then!!!

Excellent post from Hugh Hefner.

I think GN will rectify things come January transfer window and we'll finish mid table come end of season.