The East Fife Thread

1 minute ago, sammytroot said:

Not sure that should worry you Stevo.Players come and go. The Naysmith era is over.

Big question is - can Darren Young attract the calibre of player to make the club competitive  for next season?.As others have said - big season ahead.

My concern is more about Young. I'm hearing a few players are leaving because they don't rate him. Funny that.

I shudder to imagine the calibre of player that that is going to come in.

Thought Chris Duggan would’ve picked up a few awards

Think he probably got Goal of the Season as well unless Watson pipped him after his belter today!!!

I fear for us next season under Young! The amount of supporters I've spoke to this season who have stopped going regularly due to it being so bad is worrying! £15 to watch that shit in a cold soulless stadium is driving supporters away and I don't blame them! Good luck to the players leaving, I wish them well. Who have we got signed up for next season?

Goodfellow is a decent keeper. I understand why Young couldn't guarantee him 1st team football and why Ryan has to leave.

Losing Wilkie is a mixed one. He was excellent when we won the league but he's missed large parts of the last two seasons through injury and often hasn't been played in what I'd see as his best position. A fit Wilkie playing attacking midfield is a big loss. The 17/18 Wilkie who missed a lot of games and never seemed to be fully fit, no such a big loss.

I'd have definitely wanted him to stay. I think he's shown he's a good enough player to take that bit of a risk on. But one of our problem areas this season has been attacking midfield. Lamont, Wilkie and Smith would be the three I'd have gone with at the start of the season. All three have missed huge parts of the last 2 seasons and, presumably, are amongst the higher earners. Can we take another gamble on the fitness of these three players like we did this season?

Very important pre-season for Young and the club. With only one FT team in the league, at most, next season should be a good opportunity to push into the top 4. in terms of squad, I don't think we're far off that. The fragility in defence needs to be sorted and the ability to link up with Duggan (if he stays) needs to be sorted. That's a big enough job without having to run around finding good players just to stand still and replace the ones we've lost.

Dunsmore and Duggan would be big losses. Those two and Keiran Miller were the three I considered for PotY and it's important we try to keep all three. Docherty is another one we should be trying hard to keep. For all he had a shaky first couple of games, I thought he looked excellent once he settled in and was a noticeable loss when he was injured. I see there's rumours of Airdrie being in for Page. If he's under contract then they'll have to pay. So I don;t see it. He's the other one I think it's vital to keep. But everyone has a price I suppose and if Airdrie are willing to pay it and he wants to leave then fair enough.

I think the addition of someone with experience would benefit the manager. He tries to play a football system that's beyond the capabilities of the players he had. So much so that nobody, fans included have any idea of what's supposed to happen.

It is obvious that quite a few players  don't want to play for the manager and I'm sure  Duggan,Dunsmore,Page,,Lamont  Kane will follow Wilkie  and Goodfellow out the door. Probably Wilson Jones and Mutch will go too. 

I'm not sure if  McManus and Smith are staying but along with Slattery and Docherty I hope so. Not fussy about Thomson nor Linton . So as someone mentioned  a big rebuilding job. 

Edited by flyfifer48

I have read posts about Page costing money to leave EF. Don't be so sure???????  If he doesn't want to stay will a manager keep an unhappy player?  Pagey would not have been let go cos it would cost the club but if he wants to go then what!!!!!!!  Watch this space.

Whilst it would be great to keep Duggan, I have a feeling he is after full time football. Can't blame him for that.

Overall looks like a complete new team which will test the managers ability to attract players and test the supporters ability to trust him to do it.

23 minutes ago, DonnellyStirratMorrison said:

I have read posts about Page costing money to leave EF. Don't be so sure???????  If he doesn't want to stay will a manager keep an unhappy player?  Pagey would not have been let go cos it would cost the club but if he wants to go then what!!!!!!!  Watch this space.

Even in the scenario where Page makes it clear he wants to leave, it'd be strange not to get some kind of fee for him. It's not ideal to keep someone at the club who really doesn't want to be there, but it would be extremely poor management of the club to tear up his contract for nothing. Arbroath paid a fee for Ryan Wallace and at least one of the Forfar players they signed this season did they not? Stranraer needed to get rid of Wallace's wages and I'm sure the Forfar players were pretty eager to get out of Station Park but both clubs still got something for them.

It won't be a big fee but we should definitely hold out for enough that would be a decent enough compensation to reinvest in the squad. I'd be extremely disappointed if we didn't. Pagey doesn't seem the type to sit out a season in the huff. He'll know himself that getting on with it and having a good season will mean he'll have options at the end of it.

If it is Airdrie who are after him, there's also the issue that we'd be strengthening one of our rivals next season for no cost to them.

Edited by Gordon EF

Excellent off-pitch news that the club is to instal a lift within the stand, opening up the ground facilities/restaurant to the hard-of-walking.

Good also to report 80 plus supporters in hospitality yesterday including 8 in1 of the private rooms. Excellent food/service as always.

1 hour ago, Gordon EF said:

Even in the scenario where Page makes it clear he wants to leave, it'd be strange not to get some kind of fee for him. It's not ideal to keep someone at the club who really doesn't want to be there, but it would be extremely poor management of the club to tear up his contract for nothing. Arbroath paid a fee for Ryan Wallace and at least one of the Forfar players they signed this season did they not? Stranraer needed to get rid of Wallace's wages and I'm sure the Forfar players were pretty eager to get out of Station Park but both clubs still got something for them.

It won't be a big fee but we should definitely hold out for enough that would be a decent enough compensation to reinvest in the squad. I'd be extremely disappointed if we didn't. Pagey doesn't seem the type to sit out a season in the huff. He'll know himself that getting on with it and having a good season will mean he'll have options at the end of it.

If it is Airdrie who are after him, there's also the issue that we'd be strengthening one of our rivals next season for no cost to them.

Yes. What you post makes absolute sense but we are East Fife!!!!!!!!

Find it difficult to believe we will get anything pagey. 12 months is hardly a lever. Especially when at part time level if your not happy you can retire due to work commitments and resign the following week for someone else. If a part time player is unhappy there is very little you can do to stop him walking for free.

Doubt very much Pagey leaves us , Wilkie wasn’t really surprised he left didn’t stay healthy much and with his BFF Lamont on his way to Raith I’d say it’s time for fresh blood.
I’d like us to keep Kieran and build around him , I have a hunch that Kev Smith decide to leave too.
It looks like we will be in the market for a new assistant by the sounds after it with Tony’s tweet earlier looks like he is going back to his coaching business, I think once the dust settles and players come back from their holidays we will have a better understanding of where we are headed !
Have a happy summer lads

Would be surprised if Kev wants to leave, he has the safety net of a years contract still to run but it does look like Darren Young is completely dismantling the core of Gary  Naysmith's side, so it would depend whether or not he sees himself getting any game time in a new look DY side!!!

I have no problem with Young building his own team, but by releasing them all he is stripping away the core of the side, that is worrying unless he is confidant of getting replacements in, the other proviso should be that these replacements have to be as good or even better than the players he is letting go!!!