Should Weed Be Legal?

Should weed in the UK be...  

572 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

22 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I just can't understand this logic. Isn't it better that users get a regulated product and a fair deal whilst the government rakes in huge profits?

Isn't it already normalised?  Most kids will cross paths with it at some point in their teenage years, there are an estimated around 2.1 million cannabis users in the UK and is the most commonly used drug in the UK.  How much more normal does it need to be before we treat it like alcohol or tobacco (as Dan has said above).

Because the kids that come across it get it from whoever has an  in with the dealer.   You're widening access to more, often susceptible, kids. If we're deciding to make the decision, we need to own that truth too.  

By the way, not you but there is such a thing as society protecting people eh ....still... hopefully.  Not everything that doesn't affect you personally is okay.  Daft argument from some on here.  And drug abuse does affect others.

Society needs to decide if deterring people from using it is more important than the users having a cleaner trade.

16 minutes ago, tirso said:

Because the kids that come across it get it from whoever has an  in with the dealer.   You're widening access to more, often susceptible, kids. If we're deciding to make the decision, we need to own that truth too.  

By the way, not you but there is such a thing as society protecting people eh ....still... hopefully.  Not everything that doesn't affect you personally is okay.  Daft argument from some on here.  And drug abuse does affect others.

Society needs to decide if deterring people from using it is more important than the users having a cleaner trade.

Society is here to protect people but if you want to smoke weed then go and find yourself a criminal dealer and buy some weed of a random strength and quantity? You can't protect people from weed if you have no control over it. Doesn't education have a part to play here too?

Drug abuse such as alcohol abuse?  Good point. Remind me, what is we do with alcohol in this country? Regulate it, tax it and sell it to those who are happy to drink responsibly, whilst having laws for those who drink irresponsibly? 

Prohibition didn't work for alcohol and it doesn't work for weed. If you want to keep weed illegal then you've got to accept that alcohol and tobacco should also be illegal. 

Are you really arguing that weed is more harmful than alcohol?

I never said anything of the sort, I was replying to stinkybone who said he drank every weekend and 9 times out of 10 he overdid it and felt shit the next day because of it. He used this as an argument to prove that cannabis should be legalised which was complete nonsense and I called him an irresponsible drinker because of his behaviour.

Regarding the baked driving into kids argument, man if you think I have enough effort to muster getting off my bed or sofa when stoned, never mind get into a car, then you are very much mistaken hombre.

7 minutes ago, throbber said:

I never said anything of the sort, 

This below looks to be suggesting you thought it was, just wanted to clarify.

On 16/07/2017 at 11:18, throbber said:

Well you are trying to make it out that alcohol is more harmful than weed

This was almost a year ago, I was getting at him for him using the fact that he constantly over did it with alcohol as this was his own fault to carry on drinking every weekend when it was causing him harm. I drink almost every weekend and very rarely over do it or feel shit as a consequence of drinking which is why I carry on doing it, if it constantly made me feel shit then I wouldn’t do it anymore.

I’d be happy for cannabis to be legalised nowadays even though i argued that it wouldn’t be a good move a few years back.

2 hours ago, Aladdin said:

It should be regulated, taxed and sold in licensed shops. Label the cbd/thc ratios of strains clearly and accurately with no sales to u18s.

That's the plan here in Canada.  Each province will be responsible for determining how distribution will be handled but the idea is that it will be taxed and regulated.  As someone who partook in his teenage years I can tell you weed dealers never asked for ID but the corner shop did when trying to get beer! 

There was a guy sat next to me on the subway today who was fucking reeking of it, so since I've just been remembered how awful the smell is, get it to f**k.

I don’t smoke it but I love the smell of it. There are far worse smells that you can get on a subway anyway!

The only reason this would be getting looked at to be legalised is that its another way of raising taxes from the poorer in society, who are going to be the most likely to smoke it regularly.

We also need to take into account the mental health conditions like paranoia, depression etc that come with taking cannabis as well as the conditions that are associated with smoking. 

I am all for making availible to treat current conditions, however I am not for legalising it for all.

11 minutes ago, throbber said:

I don’t smoke it but I love the smell of it. There are far worse smells that you can get on a subway anyway!

The smell seriously makes me ill, and of the various smells of things that people consume it seems to stick around for much longer.

1 hour ago, senorsoupe said:

That's the plan here in Canada.  Each province will be responsible for determining how distribution will be handled but the idea is that it will be taxed and regulated.  As someone who partook in his teenage years I can tell you weed dealers never asked for ID but the corner shop did when trying to get beer! 

So you didn't grow up in Ontario? 

For years on April 20th they have had the Weed March here called for the legalisation of Cannabis, this year they marched because the Ontario government wants to regulate and control the sale of it, the same as they do with the sale of alcohol. No pleasing some people. I also don't mind the smell of it, my missus smokes it on our balcony almost every day. But I really don't want to be on the subway at 8 am with someone reeking of it, much the same as someone reeking of booze or fags