Should Weed Be Legal?

Should weed in the UK be...  

572 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I had a weed habit ( daily use for 3 years ), and have varying opinions on the matter. When used in moderation weed can be a great thing that helps bring clarity to the mind and can help take the edge of stressful situations in life. Unfortunately I can't touch the stuff anymore as I kick the arse out of it so obviously moderation doesn't work for me. What annoys me if the nae sayers who lump weed in with other drugs that are far more harmful. Alcohol is a legal drug yet how much of the tax payers money is frittered away on drunk folk filling up a&e at the weekend due to the effects of too much bevy. Anyone who has smoked weed will tell you a stoned person is no harm to anyone, you just want to gouch on the sofa watching any mundane pish on telly or take a stoned stroll marvelling at flowers and such you wouldn't look twice at straight. So people demonising weed yet are happy to get steaming and cause a ruckus due to being bladdered get on my wick. Of course moderation is the key and abuse of weed will lead to alteration on the chemicals in your brain leading to paranoia and a distorted view of the world which can be extremely damaging. whether it should be legal I don't know, it seems the police have a more relaxed view on it in my opinion and it is so easily available it may as well be available in the way some US states have it. 

to add to this weed has been proving to be extremely useful for pain management and the benefits of cannabis oil are well founded. I'm probably of the view that it should be legalised for medicinal use only. I also found that any dealer I went to only sold weed and not harder stuff but thats just my experience so I don't know if making it legal would force out the real scum ( heroin and cocaine dealers ). 

I recently used a volcano vaporiser and it's the cleanest smoke I've ever had. Cost around £300 (sadly not mine) and if you smoke weed every day then I'd argue it's a worthy investment. It's used to treat medical patients in America, and I can see why it alleviates pain and just makes everything that little bit better.

Had a shot of the volcano vapes in a few shops in Amsterdam. Think most of the Barney's shops have them. My wife got absolutely muntered the last time. She's firing into the balloon quite the thing telling me it's not really doing anything for her. 5 minutes later she's telling me we need to leave because the coffee shop is sitting at a funny angle ????????

I'm going to go with no, purely because I find stoners irritating and don't want to give them the satisfaction. Having lived with people who smoked weed regularly I found them to be incredibly dull as it seemed all they wanted to do was get baked and it always felt quite anti-social to those of us who didn't smoke it. Just saw people become less and less social as their habit seemed to take over their lives steadily. I think the current system of pretty much tolerating it and ignoring it is probably about right.

9 minutes ago, Jmothecat2 said:

I'm going to go with no, purely because I find stoners irritating and don't want to give them the satisfaction. Having lived with people who smoked weed regularly I found them to be incredibly dull as it seemed all they wanted to do was get baked and it always felt quite anti-social to those of us who didn't smoke it. Just saw people become less and less social as their habit seemed to take over their lives steadily. I think the current system of pretty much tolerating it and ignoring it is probably about right.

So you don't want people to have the free right to do something that they enjoy that causes you literally zero harm purely because you 'find stoners irritating and don't want to give them the satisfaction'. And you don't wish for people with MS, Parkinson's, Cancer etc to have what is clearly at this point a helpful medication. 

Are you 14 years old?

So you don't want people to have the free right to do something that they enjoy that causes you literally zero harm purely because you 'find stoners irritating and don't want to give them the satisfaction'. And you don't wish for people with MS, Parkinson's, Cancer etc to have what is clearly at this point a helpful medication. 
Are you 14 years old?

It's pretty obvious the first part was tongue in cheek. But it is an irritating drug that people become dependent on that has a negative impact on their lives, you can see it happening. I also don't want to have to smell it when I'm walking down the street as is becoming more common.

Would love it to be legalised. Work beside a girl from San Francisco twice a month, it sounds tremendous in California. 

Amsterdam is kind-of the weed capital of the world because of the tolerance laws and weed culture there, but California is regarded by many as having the best strains of weed in the world.

No guarantee, but I'm fairly confident that like any circle of friends, you'll also have had that one irritating fud of a boy in your crowd who couldn't handle the booze, got increasingly irritating the drunker he got, before spewing his load and passing out somewhere?

The wife suffers from chronic pain, and there's a lot of evidence that weed blocks a large amount of it for people with her conditions (for she has many). Pisses me off that she has friends back in America (of all fucking places) who can get access to marijuana for similar conditions, and tell her how much it's helped, whereas the doctors here can only prescribe opiates for her...which is just SO much better in terms of addiction and side effects, of course  :rolleyes:
There isn't a single politician that gives a shit about this on medical health grounds; they're all just paranoid about ending up in the papers as the 'Minister for Spliffs'. Even the Tories would love to get it legalised, as there's a ton of tax to be made and spent on buying support in parliament hospitals n that, ken.

I'm sure my ex has the same as your wife. Fibromyalgia? She smokes all the time and it's did wonders for her.

1 hour ago, Jmothecat2 said:

It's pretty obvious the first part was tongue in cheek. But it is an irritating drug that people become dependent on that has a negative impact on their lives, you can see it happening. I also don't want to have to smell it when I'm walking down the street as is becoming more common.

I like the smell of weed, it's that patchouli perfume that hippies wear that I can't stand.

Edited by welshbairn

Should weed be legal? Yes I think it should. Although I may add that it's absolute pish, and it would affect my life in no way whatsoever as I'd have no intention of ever taking it.

Methylenedioxymethamphetamine on the other hand is fucking superb, although I'm not sure about the repercussions were it to be legalised.

2 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

If someone new was to come along and you tried to explain Supras to them, what would you say?

Specifically?

8 hours ago, NotThePars said:

I'm sure my ex has the same as your wife. Fibromyalgia? She smokes all the time and it's did wonders for her.

Aye, that's one of them. She's always hearing about how good it is for Fibro sufferers, but isn't at all keen about trying random shite that could have anything in it. Can't say I blame her.

• 10 months later...
Here we go again Another attempt at legalisation. 
Another failure probably.
From what I've read, it appears that they are only considering a revision of the schedule of the drug, not its classification. There will be strict regulations in place and it will only be available on prescription for patients who require it.
It's a step in the right direction for people who have been denied vital medicine due to its legal status.
As we have seen in America, medical legalisation has led to recreational legalisation at a state level in many parts of the country so there is hope for change over here. Having said that, I can't see it happening any time soon unfortunately.