Lost Lanarkshire Junior League grounds

paulc

As everyone has said, great post. There were loads of clubs dotted about and still are to an extent. But Airdrie seems to have no junior history. I know Airdrieonians and its fore runners would have had impact on other teams, but other towns had senior and junior, Airdrie seems to have been a one horse/team town.

It turns out there were teams in Airdrie and Plains just before WWII in the Scottish Junior League:

http://scottish-football-historical-archive.com/scottishjuniorleague.htm

rather than the Lanarkshire League that is the subject of this thread.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

attachicon.gifbedlay junior f. c.jpgattachicon.gifbedlayplate1.jpg

Couple of photographs of Bedlay Juniors and the Colliery from 1912 to 1915.. the team list is from back row : L TO R : Drysdale (trainer), Jimmy Shaw, McGowan, Marshall, Jock Shaw, Tam McGowan, McGowan, McGowan, Davie Shaw, Will McGowan, Will Shaw and Charlie Shaw.

Looks like if you were not a McGowan or A Shaw ye did not get in this team lol ha

My Dad says his Dad had a pal who played for Bedlay juniors around this time!! He doesnt know his name but my bet he was a Shaw or a McGowan eh ha

My Dad also tells me that the famous Glasgow Rangers player Jock "tiger" Shaw hailed from Annathill. Could this be him 3rd from right in the back row?? Certainly does'nt look like the battle hardened and weather beaten player i have seen from old Rangers books, but who knows eh

On a sadder note i wonder how many of these poor souls suffered the horrors of the Great war? As they all looked young, willing and able enough to have signed up for the Somme, Ypres and Passchendaele.

Sorry for dredging up an old old thread, but I came across it in a search for something else on google. The answer to your question is no, it's not the same player. It's his father. Tiger wasn't born until 1912. I'm a family member. Also the Shaws and the McGowans were cousins, so it was even more of a closed shop than you think lol

There was also Glenboig Juniors and also Blantyre Celtic also therewas a team in Coalburn

Glenboig juniors played at the Carrick park in Glenboig, which was owned by the church of Scotland in the village. The park still exists and hosts amateur matches most Saturday

Glenboig juniors played at the Carrick park in Glenboig, which was owned by the church of Scotland in the village. The park still exists and hosts amateur matches most Saturday

I remember playing youth football about 20 years ago and the local boys club used the ground. Always wondered who's ground it was .

This is from a guy called ian who has a great collection of old video recordings ...

I remember playing youth football about 20 years ago and the local boys club used the ground. Always wondered who's ground it was .

This is from a guy called ian who has a great collection of old video recordings ...

I'm a Glenbogle born and bred RobRoy and that's nonot the Carrick park, that's what was known locally as "the Joes" as it used to belong to (and may still do actually) the chapel in Glenboig, our lady and St Joseph's. The local boys club did use the Joes tho, you're right

I'm a Glenbogle born and bred RobRoy and that's nonot the Carrick park, that's what was known locally as "the Joes" as it used to belong to (and may still do actually) the chapel in Glenboig, our lady and St Joseph's. The local boys club did use the Joes tho, you're right

Thanks for the info mate.

I remember delivering parcels in the area near to Shawfield stadium around 20 years ago and there was an old football ground that had been boarded up due to the ground being on contaminated land. The park was behind the then old sandstone buildings which have since been removed for regeneration and was on Toryglen street. I'm certain the turnstiles and fixtures were still there.

I was wondering if anyone could throw a bit of light on who's ground it was (then again if it was that contaminated it may well have lit itself up).

Toryglen Street, Rosyth Street area nearer to Shawfield than Polmadie.

I'm sure someone knows and apologies if it's one that has already been mentioned.

I know it was a senior ground but it still amazes me how well preserved ( and still in use) Third Lanark's home of Cathkin Park is even today almost half a century since their demise you can still walk up the terracing and lean on the barriers.

This will be it ( below ). I pass through the area on my way to work . It's all changed around there nowadays , loads of new flats/ houses . Strangely enough a old church still stands on a bit of undeveloped land. Must be some kind of listed building.I remember a while back a few ' older ' posters in their 40's 50's mentioned it got used a lot of schools / youth cup finals back in the 70's and 80's.

Sounds like a good name for Shotts

The Yukon is warmer than Shotts

Read a guy elsewhere who referred to Shotts as being in Scotlands Siberia. He also made the point that the outdated county boundaries can mean SBA playing at Girvan or Kirkconnel when they are a five minute ride from Harthill(Actually in Lanarkshire),Whitburn Faulhouse etc.

I got a hold of the Juniors Centenery book. Why cannot Tom Johnstone recruit an intelligent investigative young man(I assume the young bit)like Paulc to modernise that excellent history and bring it up to date 26 years later.

paulc, the thread you have created is just brilliant.

This will be it ( below ). I pass through the area on my way to work . It's all changed around there nowadays , loads of new flats/ houses . Strangely enough a old church still stands on a bit of undeveloped land. Must be some kind of listed building.I remember a while back a few ' older ' posters in their 40's 50's mentioned it got used a lot of schools / youth cup finals back in the 70's and 80's.

Yes this is the ground and thanks for posting the video! Even in its dilapidated state the covered terracing still looked the part. I clearly remember delivering to those sandstone tenements (although it was a security route requiring two in the van) but yet another ground sadly lost!

Rosebery Park, home of Shawfield Juniors and currently under the M74 extension. Here's an aerial view showing how close it was to Shawfield.

shawfield-clyde+%281%29.jpg

Thanks for the aerial view. It looks as though the ground could hold a large crowd!

Archived