ICW deserves a thread on its own (have I missed it)

RRFC2711

4 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

The ending to the death match is horrendous. Just seen it. Horrible botch then just a ridiculous dangerous spot. The cut on his arm was reminiscent of the mad man pondo bloodbath from the early noughties.

Can look cool in the moment, but rarely does in the aftermath and definitely not a day later when you hear they're having to have surgery because of it.

I don't mind the deathmatch stuff, but the problem with doing it as often as ICW have been doing it recently is that you then HAVE to up the ante, otherwise the spectacle is gone. And that's just fucking stupid. They need to wrap it for a while.

On a positive note, apparently Lionheart vs. Polo was outstanding, and WALTER on night one of Shug's.

On 29/04/2018 at 22:15, cb_diamond said:

Fear and Loathing at the hydro again. Utterly baffling decision!

Yeah, I didn't think they'd do it again this year but they probably don't want to come down from that level. Got to assume they're going to really push the marketing for it this year to punt tickets. I did notice that a large part of the floor is seated this year which should take up a bit of room.

I was at one of Dallas's show things in Box the other month and he said he was probably done with bringing in big names like Mysterio etc. which I can imagine will hinder ticket sales. Can see them pulling someone in nearer the time when tickets aren't shifting.

7 hours ago, Deego said:

Yeah, I didn't think they'd do it again this year but they probably don't want to come down from that level. Got to assume they're going to really push the marketing for it this year to punt tickets. I did notice that a large part of the floor is seated this year which should take up a bit of room.

I was at one of Dallas's show things in Box the other month and he said he was probably done with bringing in big names like Mysterio etc. which I can imagine will hinder ticket sales. Can see them pulling someone in nearer the time when tickets aren't shifting.

Agreed, the seats probably mean capacity will be down from the 7000 odd level to nearer 5000. Unfortunately I think their bubble has long burst popularity wise and won't ever return to the level of the first hydro show. It's a real shame as the product just now is much better than its been for years. I still maintain the utterly turgid and dragged out storyline about ownership in the year after the SECC show (still their highest point for me) killed their momentum.

I think it’s a one dimensional view to have about the ownership story.

absolutely, everyone entitled to their own opinion and not here to start blasting people for having one but more presenting a different viewpoint...

The story itself served as a platform for many performers who had gone on to serve the company well post hydro 2016. Helped excel Joe Coffey, for a short period Damo, helped catalyse a face turn for Sha Samuels, integrated Bram into the ICW fold which in turn allowed DCT to move in also off the back of their feud. It helped Drew Galloway further hone his craft and skills by giving him a creative outlet before he made his return to WWE. A lot of positives came out of it and the fruits of that labour came around in 2017 when it was all done with but a lot of characters were established across that two years and now have strong rapports with the ICW audience.

8 hours ago, Red Lightning said:

I think it’s a one dimensional view to have about the ownership story.

absolutely, everyone entitled to their own opinion and not here to start blasting people for having one but more presenting a different viewpoint...

The story itself served as a platform for many performers who had gone on to serve the company well post hydro 2016. Helped excel Joe Coffey, for a short period Damo, helped catalyse a face turn for Sha Samuels, integrated Bram into the ICW fold which in turn allowed DCT to move in also off the back of their feud. It helped Drew Galloway further hone his craft and skills by giving him a creative outlet before he made his return to WWE. A lot of positives came out of it and the fruits of that labour came around in 2017 when it was all done with but a lot of characters were established across that two years and now have strong rapports with the ICW audience.

I do agree with a lot of that to be fair and the basic premise of an ownership story can be fine. That one just dragged and dragged forever, "what's that a 6 man tag match with 13.3% of the company on the line" (I'm obviously being facetious, but that's what it felt like at times). I think the point has been made on here a few times, that it was the killing of momentum that a lot of people didn't like. You went straight from the SECC show, which was just unbelievably great to a massive year long overarching story that just didn't have a year in it. Would have to say as well that as much as you are bang on about other people getting a bit of exposure off the back of it the one thing that ICW has always been great at is bringing in new faces and making people care about them. Due to its position it's very top talents will always get poached away and it has to make new stars. (you're basically Hibs in the early 00s :lol:).  The quality just now is really good, the last couple of events I've been to were also really good. There just isn't the same buzz and although it would always plateau off anyway that messy storyline killed it off prematurely for me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Joe Vs Mark cancelled for shugs due to NXTUK commitments. I suspect this is only the beginning of this type of thing. Is Hunter about to do a Vince McMahon on the UK "territories"?
And THIS is why I'm against NXT starting a UK branch. Soaking up all the half decent talent from other commitments. In fact the indie scene appears much weaker full stop due to NXT. Great for the guy and girls there but for the other promotions? Nope. Mark my words, in 5 years the indies will be starved of talent.