Metal Gear Solid V

Broken Algorithms

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That said the game is very fun, stealth done right can't really be beaten in gaming.

Indeed. I've avoided all story spoilers so far; what are the game mechanics like? Really well designed and fluid?

Indeed. I've avoided all story spoilers so far; what are the game mechanics like? Really well designed and fluid?

yeah I find the cover mechanics can be a bit annoying at times. They've tried to do it like the tomb raider reboot but it's just not quite right, I'd prefer a snap on/off button for cover. The stealth like hanging on to the side of the horse and planning your attacks are really fun as is trying to extract new staff without getting caught.

Mine arrived on Saturday (good work shopto) and have played about 6 hours so far. Won't spoil anything (and if I do, I'll spoiler tag it) but my thoughts so far...

The tutorial is actually very well done. Gets you into the game without being too boring, and manages to weave a lot of the tutorial parts into the story. When I read that the prologue/tutorial was going to be an hour or so, it was a bit worrying, but it was pretty good. And absolutely balls out lunacy for the last part (more on that later)

The difference between this and the last MGS I played (Snake Eater incidentally) is vast. I didn't play Ground Zeroes, so this is my first foray into Open World MGS. The environment is a bit sparse at times (although it's Afghanistan...what else is it going to be?) but it looks amazing, and I haven't found any of the little problems that plague these kinds of games, like Witcher, Skyrim etc. It looks amazing, plays very smoothly

The game is properly, properly hard. For me anyway, more adequate people will probably find it easier, but it's definitely challenging. Stealth tactics were always the staple of MGS, and now that they've added the open world I think they've absolutely nailed it. There's only a few places to hide in the linear early games in the series, but now if you get caught you have a number of options. Not to spoil, I had a mission where you had to destroy three things on a base that had significant forces on it. Started at the bottom, then a sand-storm rolled in. Used that to sneak my way up the side towards the first item. C4d that, and hid until they calmed down. Worked my way further up to destroy the 2nd, and hid again. Clocked the 3rd, and was on my way over a bridge to get it when one enemy I hadn't spotted came right through. Tried to take him down, fucked it up, and then had to destroy the 3rd under fire. Dug in, took out a few of them, then fought my way back down the hill, jumped in a stolen jeep and sped out of there. You're supposed to stealth it out of there, but you can fight your way out if you really have to. Still pretty difficult though.

The AI has struck me as being very good so far. There's the usual regimented patrols, but it's what they do when they veer off that really impresses. They'll act a little more realistically when they find someone drugged too - in previous games, a kick, and then on your way, but now they'll sometimes call it in as suspicious, which they probably should. I also had a nice moment while in a cardboard box scooting along into hiding. A guy clocked it, called in to base saying he'd seen a cardboard box move. The base told him not to be a dick and get on with his work. It's the little things.

Resources - at the moment anyway - are very sparse. The fulton recovery device (again, more on that later) has limited uses, and the suppressors degrade quite quickly. I chained a couple of missions together, and having spent all my recovery devices earlier sending all kinds of rubbish back to base (4 wolves and a couple of E rated soldiers...waste), and then used up all my suppressors, the later missions became really tense. Couldn't use weapons as they'd have attracted everyone within a half mile. Then I was asked to extract someone. Without the Fulton, I dived in, took the guy out with an unsilenced shot, then knocked out his friend. Then had to march a kilometer with him on my back to the waiting helicopter.

The Fulton Device is just great. Wonderful little plot device to use.

My only gripe at the moment are the credits thing (it's not too bad for me, just a little annoying that you see the same stuff for every mission) and that it's seeming slightly repetitive. I'm sure it's just because I'm in the early missions, but all the ones I've done were "sneak here, get this, get out" with a variation on where I had to sneak into. I expect it to change it up though.

And on to the spoilers...

The prologue was pretty standard up until the lobby of the hospital, then it just went mental. The man on fire is so very MGS, but the set piece from the moment he arrives to the point the prologue ends is just glorious. Tanks and fire engines getting tossed about like toys. Is there anyone that wouldn't be hooked on the game after that?

I may be being properly dense here, but I'm assuming that the man with the bandages over his face that saves you is actually you, and you aren't really there? If that makes sense. Given the "talking to yourself" line when they met, then the various times where the guards didn't seem to notice you, and the fact that he, you know, has Snake's voice (Kiefer Sutherland a great sub for Hayter). Was that explained anywhere and I'm just being dense?

All the MGS coverage over the past week has got me interested in the old games again and I'm enjoying my first playthrough of MGS 2 for many years. I wasn't too keen on Ground Zeroes, so I'm quite happy to wait a bit before I get TPP. I've never played 3 and barely scratched the surface in 4, so I've got plenty to keep me occupied in the meantime.

The story has always been a bewildering pile of nonense to me, so I'm glad to hear that has been scaled down in TPP.

All the MGS coverage over the past week has got me interested in the old games again and I'm enjoying my first playthrough of MGS 2 for many years. I wasn't too keen on Ground Zeroes, so I'm quite happy to wait a bit before I get TPP. I've never played 3 and barely scratched the surface in 4, so I've got plenty to keep me occupied in the meantime.

The story has always been a bewildering pile of nonense to me, so I'm glad to hear that has been scaled down in TPP.

I thought the ground zeroes story was a bit thin on the ground when I played it, but having played a bit of the phantom pain it's a pretty crucial link in the story. If you didn't like the gameplay though then you probably won't enjoy this one - it's the same thing but on a much grander scale.

Gameplay-wise I absolutely love both. Actually bought a PS4 just to play it as god/kojima intended.

Has anyone finished this yet? I feel like I've been playing it pretty solidly (badoom ch?) and I'm only sitting on 11% complete. It gets better the more you play it.

Vague spoilers:

I've got the second buddy, which is so much more useful than the first! I'm at the point where I'm looking for a familiar character from mgs 1 and 2. Still in Afghanistan.

I think the game's excellent, really enjoying it so far.

I'm trying to complete all the side missions before moving progressing with the storyline (the last big one was the Honey Bee one with the Last Crusade-style temple built into the mountains) and I just took part in a very tricky one called Lucky Dog. I must have tried it 18 or 19 times before having to summon two airstrikes to take out the bulk of the enemies and then running in there all guns blazing.

I feel like a total fraud.

I think the game's excellent, really enjoying it so far.

I'm trying to complete all the side missions before moving progressing with the storyline (the last big one was the Honey Bee one with the Last Crusade-style temple built into the mountains) and I just took part in a very tricky one called Lucky Dog. I must have tried it 18 or 19 times before having to summon two airstrikes to take out the bulk of the enemies and then running in there all guns blazing.

I feel like a total fraud.

This is what I'm doing; it allows to you to essentially practice without being graded as such, and you can level up your base and units to allow yourself to be fully prepared for the actual story missions.

Don't feel like a fraud, one of the best things about this game is that you can use any play style you want, and still feel like a badass. ;)

Just completed Traitors Caravan mission this morning. Having tried and failed 3 times, managed to do it in under 10 minutes with an A rating. Stealth camo for the win :)

I did that one last night. I hid in a toilet and got quiet to kill three of the skulls, before using the rocket launcher on the last one. Like a massive wuss.

I got an s though in the one where you have to extract the prisoner and the interpreter.

Was on my way to complete a side mission and I accidentally stumbled upon the lovely Quiet. What a smashing-looking young woman, although having someone who looks like that feels a little out of place. The moment when you put her on the chopper and the camera goes all over her breasts was a little unsettling. Not sure why they designed her to look like that.

Not sure if this is happening to anyone else, but there's side missions I've competed, missions that have a tick in the checkbox, but it;s still saying they're outstanding. I did one of them twice to see if I'd made a mistake somewhere but the same thing's happening.

Haven't played this as I'm planning on playing through all the main series games in order first.

Finished MGS1 the other day and right now about a third of the way through MGS2.

Forgot how much of an annoying c**t Raiden is, and it also struck me how much the MGS series would have bombed if released these days due to the Snake / Raiden 'switch' in these days of Reddit / YouTube / 4chan and so on. I honestly think it would have been the end of it.

Archived