North Korea ...again

29 minutes ago, HenryHill said:

I ran out of time halfway through thr first option. Lets do that.

Hope we do the last one, chill out and hope they do the same. The worst that could happen would probably be better than the consequences of the other options.

10 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Great article on the very limited options on dealing with North Korea. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/07/the-worst-problem-on-earth/528717/

Good read. You would hope the first 2 options are never on the table (I've no doubt option 3 is). Fundamentally, the position of "we're allowed nukes but you're not" will never be conducive to global stability so a policy of acceptance is the only alternative to complete disarmament all round.

• 1 month later...

Just found out that North Korea have 78 submarines, more than any other nation. If they come up the Moray Firth I'd happily organise a flag waving thing at Grant Street if they don't fuckabout with these pnuematically launched nuclear missiles.

6 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Just found out that North Korea have 78 submarines, more than any other nation. If they come up the Moray Firth I'd happily organise a flag waving thing at Grant Street if they don't fuckabout with these pnuematically launched nuclear missiles.

As with most of North Korea's military, there's a reliance on sheer force of numbers of obsolete and obsolescent types rather than technological advancement. In a shooting war they'd make some quick gains and initially cause a lot of damage - Seoull would be fucked because it's so close to the border for instance - but there's no way they could actually win long-term. They almost certainly know this themselves hence their scramble to get a hold of a nuclear bargaining chip.

They've got loads of planes in their air force, but they're almost all MiG 19/21 types that were obsolete in the '70s and '80s everywhere else - taking them on would be a turkey shoot for one of today's fifth generation fighters.

Loads of subs too but happily most of them probably look like this.

50IMHfv.jpg

33 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

As with most of North Korea's military, there's a reliance on sheer force of numbers of obsolete and obsolescent types rather than technological advancement. In a shooting war they'd make some quick gains and initially cause a lot of damage - Seoull would be fucked because it's so close to the border for instance - but there's no way they could actually win long-term. They almost certainly know this themselves hence their scramble to get a hold of a nuclear bargaining chip.

They've got loads of planes in their air force, but they're almost all MiG 19/21 types that were obsolete in the '70s and '80s everywhere else - taking them on would be a turkey shoot for one of today's fifth generation fighters.

Loads of subs too but happily most of them probably look like this.

50IMHfv.jpg

Agreed, but you have to wonder if the grand plan for them is to annex South Korea using these massive numbers once they gain nuclear weaponry?

1 minute ago, sjc said:

Agreed, but you have to wonder if the grand plan for them is to annex South Korea using these massive numbers once they gain nuclear weaponry?

Any Concern in Japan over the North Koreans? 

8 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Any Concern in Japan over the North Koreans? 

Not really. I think the general feeling is that they are not necessarily the main target unless the Americans get directly involved.

The Japanese seem to be more concerned by their Government wanting to repeal the Act of having an active Military to be honest. I personally think it's the American Government pushing for this as they don't fancy being their "protectorate" as per the terms of surrender in WW2 should it all kick off between China/Russia and Japan over disputed islands.

Edited by sjc

Just now, G_Man1985 said:

Once he has tried Irn Bru I reckon I will be a hero and sent over to North Korea. This is my plan anyway

You've not thought that one through, have you?!

34 minutes ago, sjc said:

Don't think so. They must know that attacking the South would mean utter annihilation of the North. I think their nuclear programme is genuinely for deterrence. The best policy is probably to ignore them while letting them know unambiguously what would happen if they attacked the South or anyone else. Any attempt to destroy their nuclear infrastructure could mean hundreds of thousands of deaths, possibly millions, in the peninsula and further afield even without a nuclear capability. They're well stocked up in bio and chemical too. America's survived 60+ years of Soviet/Russian nuclear missiles pointed at them. They should chill out about North Korea a bit.

Edited by welshbairn

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Don't think so. They must know that attacking the South would mean utter annihilation of the North. I think their nuclear programme is genuinely for deterrence. The best policy is probably to ignore them while letting them know unambiguously what would happen if they attacked the South or anyone else. Any attempt to destroy their nuclear infrastructure could mean hundreds of thousands of deaths in the peninsula and possibly further afield even without a nuclear capability. They're well stocked up in bio and chemical too.

Would it though? Its not like they have a democracy or a sane Leader holding them back from actually using it! I tend to agree with you though that it's more to do with deterrence.

8 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Irn Bru will change North Korea. The people may fight back. Got to start somewhere and with Irn Bru on there side anything is possible

^^^up in front of the anti-tank firing squad at dawn....

43 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Once he has tried Irn Bru I reckon I will be a hero and sent over to North Korea. This is my plan anyway

Could you take virginton with you?

Why does v**ingTON come out as virginton?? :lol:

Edited by Jacksgranda

4 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Bump. It's all kicking off now. Kim saying he's going to bomb Guam. USA admitting he has the bomb; even the bit to fit on top....
Hyperbole or is this thing going anywhere? Quite worrying

Good stuff, the news has been pretty boring recently. 

Hopefully Sky send Kay Burley to cover it.